Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HELP: How many ounces per bottle while at daycare?

Default Re: HELP: How many ounces per bottle while at daycare?

It might be a growth spurt. But it is pretty typical for a baby who started sleeping really long stretches early on to get back to nursing more often at night at some point. The more frequent waking/nursing at night is what is typical, not the long stretches.

but another 1-1.5 hours passed before she showed signs of being hungry and needing to nurse. To me that proves that either they are misreading her cues or she appears hungrier of her desire to suck while I'm away. What do you think?
    First off, are you offering to nurse even if she is not showing signs? And what happens if you do? As I am sure you know, transitions are a big deal for babies & young kids, and for some, a really difficult time. Some babies respond to the first sight of mom after a separation by diving for the breast whether they are hungry ort not, but other children appear to need more of a warming up period before they can relax and nurse. Second, I do think it is possible they are misreading her cues. She may need comforting, she may be indicating she needs you. In her mind, mom and nursing are linked. So perhaps baby wishes to get to sleep or be comforted for some other reason, and of course she thinks of nursing/sucking as comfort. If you don't want her given more milk so close to the time you are going to arrive, which makes sense, what other forms of comfort is the dcp able to provide?

Does your day care provide a written report of when and how much baby ate? I think if it was in writing, that may help with them following your directives more and give you a better idea of exactly what is happening there.

I think that the reason we worry about a baby not taking in enough from our non-see through breasts is because we have become a bottle feeding culture. What would really help is if bottles were not clear, and then babies would be fed until they show signs of being done instead of until they ate some preconceived notion of what is 'enough' at that moment. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you let your older children eat as much as they want, which will sometimes be a small amount and sometimes a large amount, depending on their appetite at the time (and how much they like what they are eating) just as adults and everyone else (who eats normally) eats. Babies are the same. A normal healthy baby has lots of control over how much they eat at the breast, and thus will eat enough and not too much at the breast as long as they are nursed as much as they wish. But a baby who is being given a bottle may not have that choice, as they have a hard time controlling the flow unless the caregiver helps them do so with paced bottle feeding technique.
    Last edited by @llli*lllmeg; March 30th, 2014 at 11:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    It might be a growth spurt. But it is pretty typical for a baby who started sleeping really long stretches early on to get back to nursing more often at night at some point. The more frequent waking/nursing at night is what is typical, not the long stretches.

First off, are you offering to nurse even if she is not showing signs? And what happens if you do? As I am sure you know, transitions are a big deal for babies & young kids, and for some, a really difficult time. Some babies respond to the first sight of mom after a separation by diving for the breast whether they are hungry ort not, but other children appear to need more of a warming up period before they can relax and nurse. Second, I do think it is possible they are misreading her cues. She may need comforting, she may be indicating she needs you. In her mind, mom and nursing are linked. So perhaps baby wishes to get to sleep or be comforted for some other reason, and of course she thinks of nursing/sucking as comfort. If you don't want her given more milk so close to the time you are going to arrive, which makes sense, what other forms of comfort is the dcp able to provide?

Does your day care provide a written report of when and how much baby ate? I think if it was in writing, that may help with them following your directives more and give you a better idea of exactly what is happening there.

I think that the reason we worry about a baby not taking in enough from our non-see through breasts is because we have become a bottle feeding culture. What would really help is if bottles were not clear, and then babies would be fed until they show signs of being done instead of until they ate some preconceived notion of what is 'enough' at that moment. I am going to go out on a limb and guess that you let your older children eat as much as they want, which will sometimes be a small amount and sometimes a large amount, depending on their appetite at the time (and how much they like what they are eating) just as adults and everyone else (who eats normally) eats. Babies are the same. A normal healthy baby has lots of control over how much they eat at the breast, and thus will eat enough and not too much at the breast as long as they are nursed as much as they wish. But a baby who is being given a bottle may not have that choice, as they have a hard time controlling the flow unless the caregiver helps them do so with paced bottle feeding technique.
    Most of time I just nurse on demand. However, I will offer the boob before we leave the house to go somewhere, or if I see that she is getting tired and it has been awhile since she last nursed. She will take it anytime I offer it, but if she really isn't hungry she will just play.

My dcp does not do written reports, but I could always ask her if she would be willing to do it.

I provide the bottles they use, and they all have newborn nipples so that my dd would have to work to get the milk. I didn't want her getting used to a fast flowing bottle and getting lazy on the boob.

She is back to 2 5oz. bottles during the day, so I'm assuming it was a growth spurt. Once my 5 oz. bags of milk are used up I will be providing 3 oz. bags for the day. They've been good about not feeding her right before I show up but on Tuesday, when I walked in, she was being given a full bottle and took 4 out of the 5 oz. When I dropped her off Wednesday morning I asked again that they not give her a bottle when it is close to pickup time, and I pointed out that she was given a bottle yesterday when I showed up and she said that it was her fault. My dd had fallen asleep, took a pretty long nap, and woke up 30 minutes before it was time for me to arrive starving because she had only had one bottle that day. I think we are working out all the kinks.

She is still waking 2 times at night to eat, and luckily that has helped increase my supply for pumping at work. I'm still only pumping about 9 ounces, but its getting better.

Any other suggestions for increasing my supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mom2dorian-bella-aria View Post

She is still waking 2 times at night to eat, and luckily that has helped increase my supply for pumping at work. I'm still only pumping about 9 ounces, but its getting better.

Any other suggestions for increasing my supply?
    Nighttime nursing is really important for maintaining supply for a working mom. So I would suggest continuing to encourage that! And lots of nursing on weekends. It sounds like you've backed away from solids for the moment, but even when my LO was in the second half of year one I often skipped solids altogether on weekends in favor of nursing. Also, have you performed routine pump maintenance? Changing out membranes at the least, possibly valves/flanges as well. If you are still struggling to keep up, consider adding in an additional pumping session, as sonogirl suggested. One possibility is to pump while commuting, if you drive to work.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Nighttime nursing is really important for maintaining supply for a working mom. So I would suggest continuing to encourage that! And lots of nursing on weekends. It sounds like you've backed away from solids for the moment, but even when my LO was in the second half of year one I often skipped solids altogether on weekends in favor of nursing. Also, have you performed routine pump maintenance? Changing out membranes at the least, possibly valves/flanges as well. If you are still struggling to keep up, consider adding in an additional pumping session, as sonogirl suggested. One possibility is to pump while commuting, if you drive to work.
    I just bought new membranes for my pump. I didn't know that the parts 'wore out'. Hopefully the new membranes will make a difference.

They do, sometimes without it being very obvious. I hope it helps!

Well, I just pumped with the new membranes and felt a difference. Yay! Hopefully this will allow me pump the same amount my dd is consuming while she is away from me. Thanks for all the support!