Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Can't always pump at work

Default Can't always pump at work

I have a 9 week old baby that is exclusively breastfed. This is my first time breastfeeding so I worry a lot! I returned to work when she was around 5 weeks. I only work 4-6 hours at a time and I try to pump once at work. I work in a restaurant though and sometimes there are only 2 of us working so if we are even the slightest bit busy I can't pump that day. As of now I have a slight over supply, I am able to freeze 3-6oz per day most days, but that is mainly from pumping after the first morning feeding and before and after work. On average I pump about 9oz/day and she eats 5-6oz while I'm working. My concern is that if I continue having to skip my pump session at work could that bring my supply down too low? I really have no way to squeeze in a session some days, but with all of the other pumping I'm doing is it possible my supply can be maintained at this level? I have been working 4 weeks with no supply issues yet but as it gets warmer outside we get busier and I'm finding I'm skipping sessions more frequently now so I'm getting worried.

Default Re: Can't always pump at work

Does baby still nurse a few times at night? If so I would imagine you are fine. Some babies will sleep 6-7 hours without nursing and moms can maintain their supply. Instead of going that long without nursing overnight you will just have that same amount of time during the day. Still if you can pump you should, even if only for a few minutes.

The past 3 nights she has actually slept longer. The first night she went 7 hours and the second 6. Last night I woke her to eat after 4 hours. She usually eats about every 3 hours. I have no problem setting alarms to feed her if that's what I need to do. Because the business is unpredictable when I work I have tried to take a few minutes to pump sometimes but by the time I am all set up we would be getting busy again so honestly, on the busy days I haven't been trying.

Skipping your pump session consistently is likely to cause you to experience a reduction in supply. But I don't think this will be a huge problem for you, because you are working just 4-6 hours at a time. If you experience a dip in supply, you have a lot of non-work hours to make up for it, either by nursing more or pumping in addition to nursing when you're home with baby.

Don't skip the pumping sessions is you can help it. And perhaps on the days when you end up skipping, throw in an extra pumping session after your baby goes to bed or something, to make up (at least in part) for what you missed during the day.

It's great that you woke your baby to nurse when she was sleeping a long stretch! Very smart.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! I actually got the idea to wake her from reading other posts on these forums. My other two were FF and it was basically an encouraged thing to get them to sleep through the night asap. I wasn't aware that breastfed babies wake through the night for a longer period of time until I read some of these posts!

You're a great mama to be so open to the idea of using night-nursing as a tool rather than seeing it as a cross to bear!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

By the way, your baby is still young and sleeping patterns will change. Even if she's sleeping a big stretch now, she might not in a month or two. My baby slept for 6 hour stretches from 7 weeks to 12 weeks and that was the end of that - back to every 2.5-3 hour night feedings! Anyway, I always pumped twice at work (7 hours) and I didn't find my supply decreasing because the baby slept longer then and went without a feeding. My LC said to go max 6 hours, and if longer then to dreamfeed. Now that my baby is 5 mos and is eating often at night, I find it a blessing because that's what maintains my milk supply (pumping at work is not good enough). If your baby goes to sleep before you, you can always try a dreamfeed before you yourself go to bed. I do that these days only because I rather have a new stretch begin when I go to bed, rather than counting from when HE went to bed!