Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 9 of 18 FirstFirst ... 5678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

I feel you are right there meg.
    Now the baby seems to be fairly happy with the 2 hours between feeding except as evening closes in he will usually demand food after only an hour and 20 minutes. I'm going to go back to following my own/babies instincts about feeding frequency/duration.

Anyway, pumping still seems to be a little bit uncomfortable. Seems after a few days of pumping regularly, my nipples change and I need to try to pick out different sizes of shields.

I think I had been making almost as much progress just pumping 4 times a day after certain feedings but that was with the old pump that hurt.

I'm trying to do three days of this "power pumping" and then I'm thinking I might need to take a break from pumping for a day or so.

I have the book "Making More Milk" (really wish I had read it before having the baby.) Anyway, I think things are improving and I really hope to be to the point of not HAVING to supplement and pump in the Next week since DH is going to be out of town for a week and it is really hard to pump when there is no one else to distract the baby.

I know it is frustrating to pump and not see much come out. But because you are nursing your baby so much, and down to such a small supplement amount, each would indicate that baby is getting a good amount of milk via breast-feeding, you are not going to get all that much each pumping session. Also now I do see that you say your nipples are still tender. Okay in that case if the shorter pumping sessions are helpful for that then that makes sense. I was just concerned with the spacing out feedings and the shorter nursing sessions Might cause a step backward your progress.

Whoops sorry my phone is giving me fits and I did not see your last post before my last post. Okay your plan sounds very reasonable and makes sense. You do want to watch your body for signs that things are hurting for sure. Basically it comes down to knowing how milk production works and then doing what works best for you.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Whoops sorry my phone is giving me fits and I did not see your last post before my last post. Okay your plan sounds very reasonable and makes sense. You do want to watch your body for signs that things are hurting for sure. Basically it comes down to knowing how milk production works and then doing what works best for you.
    Well part of the challenge is figuring out what does work best for me, helps to have people here to share with and get ideas/comments.
    Otherwise it would be like flailing around blindly trying to fit pegs in holes that you can't even see.

So, I'm going to try to keep up the pumping after each feeding as best I can for a sort time but it is not easy if I don't have some one on hand to distract the baby while I pump.

I was wondering if it would be better to
    A-pump after every feeding but for only short pumping sessions.
    or
    B-pump for longer but only several times a day.

And if B makes sense, does the time of day the pumping sessions happen have an impact on the time of day the milk increase is likely to happen. I ask because when I was using the old pump, I was basically only pumping after feedings where we supplemented at least for a while. Most supplementing was happening in the evening and after several days of pumping in the afternoon, early evening I noticed that I started feeling much more full overnight, almost to the point of discomfort.

I really need to get more time to take a nap in the afternoon, that would probably do more than anything else to improve my evening supply.

Ok, so I have been supplementing a total of about 4 ounces per day (usually 2 oz of Formula and 1-3 oz of expressed breast milk) for the past few days.
    Today I managed to pump 4 ounces.

I'm wondering how long I should try to keep up the power pumping after every feeding? Do I need to keep it up for a few days longer?
    Or am I at a point where I could try taking a day off, not pump and not supplement and see if things are good?

Seems to me that since I've been supplementing about 4 oz and I was able to pump 4 oz that it might be worth a try. After a day or two I'll probably start doing a little bit of extra pumping to try and store up a little bit of backup as well as increase my supply a little more but I figure a little extra time for rest and nipple recovery might be almost as helpful at this point as the pumping.

I've been supplementing using the Medela SNS which tends to cause latch issues just trying to get the tube in place while also trying to get him latched. AND the tube pressing into my nipple as he nurses actually causes some pain. So I am SO looking forward to NOT using it if at all possible.

I'm really looking forward to a day without either pumping or the supplementer to see if my nipples will recover a bit more. Baby's latch is really comfortable (almost soothing) on the Left and I'd like a day or two to work on his latch on the right to see if we can get that side as good. I am SICK of tender nipples. By the way, back in the beginning, nursing didn't hurt, it was only after dealing with supplementing and pumping that I really started to have issues.

Ok, so I have been supplementing a total of about 4 ounces per day (usually 2 oz of Formula and 1-3 oz of expressed breast milk) for the past few days.
    Today I managed to pump 4 ounces
    Whoot!

Here is what I would suggest, but you may want to run this by your IBCLC if you are still in contact. And if anyone else has another thought, please chime in!

I think you can take a couple days and not supplement. I would suggest continue pumping, just to be super sure you are getting the milk removal & stimulation your body needs to keep the milk production where it needs to be. How often you want to do that is up to you. I don't think it need be after every nursing session.
    If all goes well with not supplementing, eliminate the pumping too.

hum,
    I'm wondering if cutting all supplement out while still pumping will leave me a bit short of milk for the baby since my pumping output is only as much as my supplement amount?

I'm gonna start the transition today by only pumping part of the time and only giving the 3 oz of expressed breast milk left over from yesterday as supplement and only giving the supplement if he seems dissatisfied with what he gets from breastfeeding alone. I'll freeze what I pump today instead of just keeping it in the cooler/fridge.

I think your plan is sensible. The reason I think it is possibly ok to not supplement while still pumping is because it is possible that your pump output is not telling the whole story in terms of your milk production. Also, I think it possible that a 'hungrier' baby would nurse more just enough to get what they need despite you pumping. In other words I don't think the pump will rob baby of what baby needs, especially when you are this close to exclusive breastfeeding. Pumping at that point would just be to ensure your production does not take a hit if weaning off the supplements does not go entirely smoothly.

Only gave 2 oz of the expressed Breast Milk and NO formula today. (I count his days from about 8 pm-8pm the next day, since that seems to be bed time for him and it is also about the time he was born so it seems easiest to keep that as his 24 hour marker.)
    When I did an early weigh in today we had modest weight gain compared to yesterday.
    I did not pump overnight, this morning I pumped after each feeding but I only pumped once this afternoon, So 4 pumping sessions. I tend to feel empty in the afternoon and we did take a nap where he nursed in bed so I didn't pump and then some of his feedings this afternoon were LONG so I figured him nursing extra was as good as pumping.

So making progress. I'll aim for 2 oz or less pf supplement tomorrow. I'll try to pump as much as I can but tonight DH is working overnight so it might not really be possible to pump after night time nursing tonight so it will probably be much like today where I will pump during the morning hours but not much in the afternoon since I'm usually too empty and I've been letting the baby nurse as long as he will in the afternoon in hopes that he won't need as much supplement.

We will see how we do, baby is due for his one poop every 7 or 8 days and last time he pooped set us back over 2 oz on his weight gain.

Keep us posted. This:
    baby is due for his one poop every 7 or 8 days and last time he pooped set us back over 2 oz on his weight gain.
    is one reason why frequent weight checks are misleading! (Not that you should not do them when gain is a concern.) But the 'typical' growth patterns (the ones growth charts are based on) are not based on incremental weighty gain but on gain over a much longer period, and it averages all the kids together. In other words, some up and down in an individual child is normal.