Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 8 of 18 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

I think part of it is that baby tends to sleep on the breast if I let him, if I wait for him to detach I may never get time to pump or do anything else. When he is not actively feeding I'm probably not getting the stimulation needed to increase the milk hence why he gets sleepy because there isn't enough coming out.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    So Great you now have a better pump. Hopefully that will help with both pain and pump output. If you think limiting time at the breast will help. ok. personally I would suggest give it a few days to see how things go now that you have the right kind of pump before throwing limiting time at the breast into the mix. You have gotten to the point of almost zero supplement by letting baby nurse a lot. The less supplement baby needs, the less mom needs to pump!

If you want to try the limiting, maybe try on alternating feeds or daytime only or something, rather than on every session. Sorry if I am overstepping, there may be a good reason for doing this I am not clear on. I just get very concerned when moms are told to limit baby's time at the breast.
    don't worry, I'm not going to yank the baby off the breast according to the clock if he is actively feeding. I'm taking the instruction more as a guide to encourage active feeding to take place earlier on and to switch or go pump when he is simply napping on the breast.
    And he does still get some times to take longer since I will leave him sleep nursing while I finish eating or I'll let him latch on to sleep when I come back to bed after pumping.

You could also pump one side while leaving him latched on the other. Sometimes I get a better letdown that way since baby is still stimulating my hormone production.

don't worry, I'm not going to yank the baby off the breast according to the clock if he is actively feeding. I'm taking the instruction more as a guide to encourage active feeding to take place earlier on and to switch or go pump when he is simply napping on the breast.
    And he does still get some times to take longer since I will leave him sleep nursing while I finish eating or I'll let him latch on to sleep when I come back to bed after pumping.
    Thanks. I am a worrier and that was exactly my concern-that sometimes moms take such directions as rules rather than guides. but when I thought about it more I could see that clearly you have a good sense of your body and your baby and are following your own path based on that, always smart.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    Thanks. I am a worrier and that was exactly my concern-that sometimes moms take such directions as rules rather than guides. but when I thought about it more I could see that clearly you have a good sense of your body and your baby and are following your own path based on that, always smart.
    no worries, be happy!

Update
    had 6 wk pp OB appointment today.
    Unfortunately, not w/dr but with his Nurse Practitioner. While in some ways that is fine w/me, she is kinda new to the OB/GYN practice and I know not all of her advice/instructions quite match the DR. AND
    DH came along to the apt to hold the baby. Well, when I asked some Q about getting my milk supply up, her answer included SCHEDULES!!!!!! And that is the primary thing DH took away from the conversation.

Sigh

her advice was pump every 2 hours after feeding during waking hours. She actually discouraged pumping at night and encouraged trying to get baby to sleep through. Also only pumping for 10 minute since I'm doing it on top of nursing.
    Now I'm willing to try to comfort and distract babe if he is fussing sooner than "schedule" but if he is adamantly hungry and he doesn't comfort or distract, I'm not willing to just let him scream for 40 minutes because that is what some one said!

What absolutely awful advice from the NP!!!! Schedules and sleeping through are a great way to decrease your milk supply. If you have supply and/or weight gain concerns, the first things you want to do are to nurse more often and to nurse at night if the baby sleeps long stretches.

Is your DH having a hard time shaking the NP's bad advice? If so, you can always have him post here. We'll set him straight.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Is your DH having a hard time shaking the NP's bad advice? If so, you can always have him post here. We'll set him straight.
    That is part of the problem, DH seems to think that my reading and researching this stuff in books and online is a problem but he will cherry pick which bits of the advice from others to listen to like
    "let sleeping babies lye" or the schedule thing.
    Or that I should be practicing enforced relaxation to Music (of course only what he thinks is relaxing cause what I would choose is probably not right) and should not be distracting myself with reading or forums while nursing or pumping.
    I'm not sure how to convince him that there are certain things about my body that I understand better than an outsider and that I've tried the Play music and concentrate on baby or read the baby a book. Don't get me wrong when baby is awake and eyes open when nursing he gets my attention and eye contact and we communicate. I also have to spend time coaxing him awake or to keep nursing.
    But while pumping, other than massaging or doing compressions, I actually seem to do better with a distraction.

All that said, I do think encouraging the baby to a 2 hour schedule when he is willing will make life a lot easier. I am going to get up at night to nurse at least a couple times and I'll pump a little after just because I tend to feel a bit engorged at night lately.

I'll be happy to be proven wrong but so far my storage capacity doesn't seem large. But maybe things are actually getting better already. Pump output has improved the 24 hours since getting the hospital grade rental.

Ok for the first day with the hospital grade pump, I seemed to be getting a fairly good amount with the pump.
    Now it seems to have fallen off a bit?
    Since my OB appointment I've been trying to stretch the time between daytime feedings to 2 hours instead of offering the breast at the first sign of fussing (but if he insists I will feed early.) She also recommended limiting the pumping sessions to only 10 minutes to take it easier on my nipples since I'm pumping on top of feeding (instead of doing the 15 minutes of pumping or pumping till I'm not getting any anymore as the LC recommended) I've been doing only the 10 minutes since my nipples are still tender.
    So far total BM expressed over the past 6 sessions combined has been only about 2 ounces. (That is for the time period from 5:45 pm last evening till 10 am this morning.)

You are doing two things that may actually harm milk production. One you're trying to stretch out feedings. stretching feedings out is not typically recommended ever. Of course many babies go to a routine that is less frequent as they get older. But Cue feeding is the usual recommendation of breast-feeding experts around the world for the duration of breast-feeding.

Second you are limiting your pump session to a very short amount of time. Does pumping still hurt? If the pump is working correctly and fits you right it should not hurt. Even if you pump for 15 or 20 minutes or even up to about 30 minutes. Yes long long sessions at the pump can cause problems but 15 or 20 minutes is not a long session. Assuming latch is correct the fact that you are also breast-feeding should not be affecting how it feels to pump.

What I am very concerned about is that you were this close to eliminating supplements altogether. If you eliminate supplements altogether, because baby is getting enough milk at the breast, you can stop pumping-not pump it all! So why would anyone suggest to you to do things that are going to reduce babies time at the breast at the same time reducing pump time It makes no sense to me.
    The only reason this would make sense is if you have nipple injury that needs to heal and continues to be exacerbated by the pumping. If you have nipple injury that needs to heal, then stop doing whatever it is that hurts. If nursing is comfortable nurse and stop pumping for a couple of days. Maybe hand express to make up for the pumping times or just let it go a couple of days won't make much of a difference as long as baby is allowed to nurse with normal frequency.

I think you're imagining life where you always have to pump. But I'm trying to say is that if you can get baby exclusively nursing you won't have to pump at all. Also you may already not need to be pumping as often as you are. Which would also make life easier.

As far as where to get your information. If your husband does not trust information from the Internet, and frankly who can blame him, I would suggest the book the womanly Art of breast-feeding eighth edition. This book was a bestseller, and it is a very well-respected breast-feeding manual that is based on evidence and cites it's sources. It was written by the professional lactation consultants and over viewed and edited by doctors and other medical professionals.
    For further reading the book making more milk about how milk production works and how to increase milk production is another excellent resource.
    These books are written for parents. They are not text books. They are inexpensive to buy and I'm sure there are many used copies floating around. You can also try your library or local Lll library.