Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 7 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456789101117 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

It's also worth noting that even if you do have a low storage capacity and a baby who needs to nurse very frequently, it will still generally get easier with time, because the length of those feeds will usually go down as baby gets older and more efficient. I'm pretty positive that I have a low storage capacity, and I also had (still have!) a very very frequent nurser--but what used to be all day on the couch transformed into a lot more mobility once the length of feeds decreased.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    It's also worth noting that even if you do have a low storage capacity and a baby who needs to nurse very frequently, it will still generally get easier with time, because the length of those feeds will usually go down as baby gets older and more efficient. I'm pretty positive that I have a low storage capacity, and I also had (still have!) a very very frequent nurser--but what used to be all day on the couch transformed into a lot more mobility once the length of feeds decreased.
    That and learning to nurse in a baby carrier. Though my babe seems to pass out quickly and sleep a lot in the carrier so I worry a bit that he doesn't eat enough on days he is in the carrier too long.

I hope that as he gets older he will be more likely to wake on his own and demand food as needed. at night doesn't seem to be a problem, he spends a large % of that latched on while we sleep. He will root and latch in his sleep when skin to skin with me, except when in the carrier.

on another note.
    I seem to be stuck at about 4 oz of supplement per day.
    So far when I try to reduce much below that, weight gain stalls and baby is hungry.
    Pumping isn't going well (seems to hurt no matter what I do even at lowest setting. Perhaps pump is bad.)
    6 week follow up with OB this week, will ask if they have recommendations to help me get to 100% BF.

While I am supplementing I'm scared to quit pumping but the fact that it hurts makes me worry that it is doing more damage than good. I do supplement using the Medela SNS so it isn't like I'm missing out on the stimulation. However, getting a good painless latch while using the SNS is often very difficult.

Well, if 4 oz of supplement is all it takes to keep your baby's weight gain on track, I think you're doing wonderfully well! When you pump, how much milk are you getting? When there's a lot of pain, it can be hard to respond to the pump...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

the most I've ever managed to pump in a single session was 1/2 oz combined. Normally far less.

Going to put some effort into getting my hands on a hospital grade pump this week. Before I had been thinking why bother since the consumer pump Ive been trying to use seems too powerful to me already. I know the mantra "breast feeding shouldn't hurt" but in the writings I'd never come across anyone saying the same for pumping (not even in the book "making more milk".) Wasn't till I posted the thread "pumping hurts" that some one actually said to me "it shouldn't"

I've got such a little way to go I've become impatient to get off the supplement but I've been stuck down at this aprox 4 oz level for about 10 days now.

Have you tried hand-expressing instead of pumping? For some moms, that works better in terms of how much milk they get, and it can be more comfortable as well.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Have you tried hand-expressing instead of pumping? For some moms, that works better in terms of how much milk they get, and it can be more comfortable as well.
    I've tried. I do hands on pumping doing compressions and massage before and along with pumping but plain old hand expression is really not effective or comfortable for me. I get only a drop at a time, have only twice actually managed to squirt milk and only out of the Right breast so any milk I actually manage to express is lost to dripping down myself since I usually can't even get it to drip into a container or the breast shield.

I'm making an effort to get my hands on a better pump. Spoke with the Hospital lactation consultant today, but they don't rent pumps, she actually recommended possibly buying one of the good retail hospital grade pumps, $300-400 range (basically said as long as it has speed and suction control) if I might be considering a second child in the future. With rentals running about $75 a month around here it would only take 4-6 months of use to justify buying a pump but seeing as the pump I've been trying to use is an old version of one of those "good retail pumps" I'm not sure that the long term purchase makes sense since if it fails after a year then it won't be covered by warranty and I'm not having another child less than a year from now. But, if I am going to pump more than just to get my supply up now then the purchase would make sense compared to renting for 6 months.

Does anyone know if Florida Medicaid covers breast pumps or rentals and if so, how to go about getting the coverage for it?

I've found only two places in the region so far that rent pumps. Babies R Us and Florida Home Health Equipment. FL home health equipment is listed as accepting insurance but they won't take Medicaid.

I have messages in to two of the lactation consultants with WIC to see if there is any chance I can get use of one of their hospital grade loaner pumps to at least let me find out if I can pump without pain and get past this supply issue. However I don't know how long it will take for me to hear back from them. The hospital Lactation consultant said to tell them at WIC that she said I need use of a hospital grade pump for medical reasons.

So, while I am waiting to hear back from WIC and looking at my different pump options any recommendations on places to look for pump reviews?

I already have the accessories for the Medela pump in style kind of pump which is a vote in favor of that, however, because I've been trying to use an OLD pump in style and find it painful, that is sort of a vote against going with the same thing if it isn't actually a case of the pump malfunctioning.
    While I have a high pain threshold I need a pump that doesn't test that. I have rather sensitive skin and I bruise easily so I need a pump that can definitely be adjusted to a rather "gentle" setting.
    Looking for a pump/shields that works well for relatively small breasts with small aerola but sort of large nipples

From other thread http://forums.llli.org/showthread.ph...66#post1334666
    Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    Well I think I have to beg, borrow or steel and scrape together the money to rent a pump.

When the counselor at WIC originally told me that they have loaner hospital grade pumps, she neglected to mention that those are actually only for the Medical emergencies like premie babies that require exclusive pumping and are not the pumps loaned out to normal mom's going back to work.
    The loaner breast pumps for normal babies, Are ONLY for exclusive breast fed babies of mothers that are going back to work or school.

Apparently I don't fit either since low milk supply doesn't qualify as medical necessity in the States guidelines
    And
    Since I work for myself and am having to supplement due to low milk supply, I don't qualify for the other pumps (which are not hospital grade and apparently and in no way hands free, she said you have to control the speed with your thumb while pumping so would NOT be able to do any massage or compressions while pumping unless you just did single pumping and used only one hand for massage/compressions.)

Sigh. At this point I think I really need the good hospital grade rental pump at least for a short time to get the supply up. I really hope it works well for me cause I can't afford to pay and have it turn out to hurt me too.
    Sending DH out to get a rental pump.

yesterday I did not use the malfunctioning pump but kept putting babe to the breast as constantly as he would tolerate and only gave 2 oz of formula via sns late in the day when he kept screaming about sucking on boobs that didn't produce enough.

made a point of getting up to feed 3 times instead of feeding in bed since I wanted to make sure he drained me better and I will need to get up to pump after feeding once I have a functional pump.
    Last edited by @llli*tclynx; April 22nd, 2014 at 11:27 AM.

Got the Rental Pump (Medela Symphony)

Hospital Lactation consultant recommended pumping for at least 15 minutes after each feeding (make sure it doesn't hurt, don't turn it up beyond comfort.)
    She also recommended limiting his feedings to only 15 minutes per side to a, give me time to pump and b, get more stimulation especially if he is just flutter sucking for comfort in his sleep instead of actively feeding.

So Great you now have a better pump. Hopefully that will help with both pain and pump output. If you think limiting time at the breast will help. ok. personally I would suggest give it a few days to see how things go now that you have the right kind of pump before throwing limiting time at the breast into the mix. You have gotten to the point of almost zero supplement by letting baby nurse a lot. The less supplement baby needs, the less mom needs to pump!

If you want to try the limiting, maybe try on alternating feeds or daytime only or something, rather than on every session. Sorry if I am overstepping, there may be a good reason for doing this I am not clear on. I just get very concerned when moms are told to limit baby's time at the breast.