Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 6 of 18 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

What about pumping more overnight and using that to supplement instead of formula?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    What about pumping more overnight and using that to supplement instead of formula?
    Thats what I was thinking too.
    Mama to Sebastian Born 2/13/14

Or waking baby for one extra nighttime feed? 2-4 ounces of formula is so little I bet you could cut it out completely and just do one extra nursing session. I have read on here before that the average baby takes 2-3 ounces per session on the boob. Just thought though, obviously you have to do what feels right for you.

oops

What little I do manage to pump gets used in the Supplement but the pump has never been good at getting much milk out of me and pumping is painful for me so I'm not pushing to pump that much. I'm only pumping a little in hopes that it will help stimulate more supply but I'm trying not to pump so much that it makes nursing too painful.

Or waking baby for one extra nighttime feed? 2-4 ounces of formula is so little I bet you could cut it out completely and just do one extra nursing session. I have read on here before that the average baby takes 2-3 ounces per session on the boob. Just thought though, obviously you have to do what feels right for you.
    I'm certainly doing extra nursing sessions. I was trying to get totally off the formula and had managed to reduce the amount of formula by about an ounce a day from 10 oz down to 4 oz but when I went down to 2-3 oz the weight gain seemed to stall or even slip a little so he has been getting between 3-4 oz of formula the past 3 days while I am working hard to pump in between feedings and do all sorts of things to increase my supply.

He already eats about every 1.5 hours during the day and spends a large % of the night latched on. I would worry that he isn't getting enough sleep but he seems very adept at dream feeding. I just don't seem to have a large storage capacity and perhaps that has something to do with how hard/easy it is to increase supply.

Hopefully we can get off the formula by the middle of next week.

Sounds like you are doing a great job!

I wish there was some way to increase storage capacity to go along with increased supply. I don't seem to hold much and I have some fear that if I'm going to manage to provide enough milk for this growing babe, I'll have to be feeding every half hour as he gets bigger just to keep up with him.
    Does storage capacity ever increase? When I note that we seem to be on a 1.5 hour schedule during most of the day, I'm talking about from start of feeding to start of next feeding being between 1 hour to 2 hours. Normally it is 1 hour and 20 minutes from the start of one feed to the start of the next so usually only leaving me about 20-40 minutes between.

I do not know of a way to increase storage capacity. But there is no need fort a breastfed baby to get more and more milk as they get older. At about 4 to 6 weeks, an infants typical intake gets to its highest point which is normally about 25-35 ounces per day and it does not EVER go up more than that. It may fluctuate day to day, of course, but overall a 6 month old needs no more milk than a 6 week old. After baby is eating a good deal of solids, baby will gradually need less and less milk and milk production thus gradually goes down, slowly and very gradually, until baby weans (assuming baby is weaning 'naturally."

Babies do not need any more as baby grows mostly because rate of gain decreases so dramatically. The brand newborn in growing as fast as baby did the last couple of weeks in the womb. REALLY fast. This gain rate slows down as baby ages. Also, breastmilk changes in nutrients to match babies age. (and no this does not mean milk pumped when baby is 2 month olds is not fine for a 5 month old.)

Very frequent nursing is the norm for the first several weeks. Nursing frequency and/or duration of each feed usually (but usually not in a true linear fashion) goes down as baby gets older and bigger and stronger because baby becomes more efficient at the breast and their larger tummy can hold more at a time, not because moms storage capacity has increased.

As far as mom having 'less milk' in the evenings this is very typical. Mom's often report that baby cluster nurses in the evenings, seems 'fussier' at the breast in the evenings, and that mom's breasts feel soft or 'empty.' So this is a normal phenomenon and on its own does not suggest the need for supplements (generally! ymmv.) As far as I know there is no consensus on why this is, but it does seem to be very, very common.

Thanks Meg,
    Good to know that I am near the Max required production level now, gives me more hope.