Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

No helpful advice to add to what the other ladies have already said, but I really admire your dedication to doing what's best for your baby.

A few things I would like to comment on that I think might help others to know.

1-When the Dr told me to "Do what I thought was right" was probably one of the most helpful and empowering things.

2-Reading instructions and watching videos about breastfeeding that tell to look for and listen for swallowing led me to believe that my baby was being ineffective at nursing. However, after working at this for several weeks now, I realize my baby is far more effective at this than I thought and he seems able to suck fast and swallow covertly and leave my breast feeling quite drained sometimes very quickly. I no longer think that he was all that ineffective, my milk was just a bit slow coming in and some bad advice had me not feeding often enough early on.

3-Hang in there!

4-Be very firm with all those "well meaning" friends/relatives that keep pushing for longer intervals between feedings or "not waking a sleeping baby". Those recommendations are for older babies, NOT of newborns, many of these people probably haven't had a newborn for a long time and memory between what was done for a newborn or an older baby are probably foggy.

Now if using lubrication with the shields helps, does that mean I shouldn't save and feed that expressed milk to the baby with the supplemental formula?
    You can use a non-allergenic edible oil-the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding suggests olive oil- and safely give that expressed milk to your baby.

I forgot you were using the sns. That changes my perspective on pumping a little bit, as baby is nursing from you even when being supplemented. If pumping were painless, even with the fairly low output each session, I would still say that pumping can only help and can't possibly hurt. But in your case, pumping IS hurting, literally. So it creates a bit of a quandry. This might be something to discuss with your LC at WIC if you can. Besides the olive oil, perhaps pumping for shorter time for a bit will help?

Have you seen this article? It has some further info on lactation aids like the sns and a few tips on keeping feeding/pumping more manageable, time-wise. http://cwgenna.com/smartnothard.html

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience and what has helped you most. I assure you, your words will help many new moms!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    You can use a non-allergenic edible oil-the Womanly Art of Breastfeeding suggests olive oil- and safely give that expressed milk to your baby.

I forgot you were using the sns. That changes my perspective on pumping a little bit, as baby is nursing from you even when being supplemented. If pumping were painless, even with the fairly low output each session, I would still say that pumping can only help and can't possibly hurt. But in your case, pumping IS hurting, literally. So it creates a bit of a quandry. This might be something to discuss with your LC at WIC if you can. Besides the olive oil, perhaps pumping for shorter time for a bit will help?

Have you seen this article? It has some further info on lactation aids like the sns and a few tips on keeping feeding/pumping more manageable, time-wise. http://cwgenna.com/smartnothard.html

Thank you so very much for sharing your experience and what has helped you most. I assure you, your words will help many new moms!
    I've seen that web page/article. Not really sure how to make much use of what is in it. Already using the SNS so not having to breast and bottle but even just at breast, he often takes a long time to eat and then wants to eat again not that long after so not much time left for pumping. Hand expression has so far been less effective than pumping. Breast massage along with pumping seems to help but I don't think either is going to ever allow me to remove much quantity of milk. I'm really only doing the pumping in hopes that the stimulation will help increase the milk supply but there isn't a whole lot of time for me to do it during the times of day I seem to need the increased supply most.

I have been doing shorter pumping sessions. Primarily because I rarely have that much time to do them anyway. Maybe it is helping some to quit pumping before my nipples become too swollen and sore.

Update.
    Baby is 31 days old now.
    Aprox 9lb 6oz now (had dropped to 7lb 10oz at 5 days old)

have only been supplementing 2-4 oz per day the past few days. using SNS
    I had been hoping to be completely off the formula before his next dr apt (in two more days) but I fear we are not gaining well without those 4 oz yet.

Pumping is still not comfortable but the olive oil helped a little. I think I need to do more experimenting with different sizes and lubrication.

Time to pump is limited since this babe wants to nurse every hour to hour and a half most of the day and often takes almost an hour to do it.

We have made great progress but still have a ways to go.

You are doing awesome, mama!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Had his one month dr appointment today.
    9 lb 7 oz
    23 1/2" long
    14 1/2" head circumference

All seems well.

As for increasing milk supply.
    Has anyone ever noticed a correlation between time of day that the pumping sessions take place and when the milk supply increase seems to happen?
    I ask because It had seemed that my milk supply seemed to be lagging the most through the afternoon/early evening so I had been trying to squeeze most of my short pumping sessions in between feedings during those hours. However, I now seem to be experiencing engorgement overnight to the point that I got up to pump a little last night in order to make it easier for my little guy to latch on to my right breast (which has had the larger supply all along.)
    What I'm wondering now is if I need to be trying to pump more in the morning to increase my afternoon supply?

First of all, WAY TO STICK WITH IT MAMA! You are doing an AMAZING job!!!!!!

I was told by my lactation consultant to pump between the hours of 1-5 AM. This is when milk production is the highest. When I asked why, she said its because when you are sleeping your body is more efficient at making milk because it isn't trying to do as much as when you are awake. When I was prepping to go back to work, I set an alarm to pump during these hours just in case Seb didn't wake up! I'm only of the lucky ones whose 2 month old occasionally sleeps 6 hours. My guy usually only nurses on one side during a night feeding and then passes out so I pump the other breast! Hope this helps!
    Mama to Sebastian Born 2/13/14

I always have way more milk available to pump in the early AM than afternoon/evening. Totally normal.

I'm really not pumping to store up milk. I'm pumping to try to increase my supply. Even though I know I am able to produce over 20 ounces per day (because I am only using about 2-4 ounces of formula per day and my over 9 lb baby is still gaining.) I think I would actually be lucky to express more than a few ounces if I were not breast feeding.

I know it is common for supply to be at it's lowest through the afternoon/evening. And that is normally when I have to supplement the most still. It seems I have too much during the night when babe eats the least and during the day I need more for him.