Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

I do thank everyone for the help and am sorry if I come off a bit short in typing. Figure you all realize I'm sleep deprived, scared and frustrated.

I'm on Medicaid so I don't think insurance covers private lactation consultants. (Basically, if I have to pay up front, medicaid won't pay, they only cover things that will bill them directly.) I'm not up to long distance driving to take myself, pump and babe long distance to get help. Kinda hard to drive two hours when I need to feed him so often.

I Think there is one consultant in the region that might do home visits but I am a bit concerned with cost.

Call the LC up and ask her what she charges, and explain your situation. Most LCs get into the breastfeeding biz not because they think they're going to get rich from it or even make a complete income from it, but because they really like helping moms and babies. If you're lucky, you'll find someone who is willing to help you for free, or for a reduced or spread out fee ($5 a month for a year or something like that).
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

At only 14 days old can I really let him go 5-6 hours without eating just to let me get 4-6 hours uninterrupted sleep?
    Maybe, it depends on how often baby is fed the rest of the day. But I actually meant a ONE TIME sleep stretch, or the occasional longer sleep stretch, can really help, not necessarily that you or any new mom can expect to get that much sleep every day. And since baby is being supplemented anyway, isn't there someone who could help you by giving baby a supplemental feeding while you slept if needed? In any case, I am not understanding why would baby have to go 5 hours without eating in order for you to sleep 4 hours?

I don't know about Medicaid and reimbursements, although a professional IBCLC should know, and most are learning that post ACA they need to bill insurance or go out of business because with the new provision and in many cases higher cost of insurance, lactation clients are not willing to pay out of pocket even if they can afford it because it is (or is supposed to be) covered by the insurer. I do know that the ACA included a provision that makes insurers cover lactation services. Since the ACA only works if a certain percentage of people are on Medicaid (because under a certain income there are no subsidies under the ACA so under that income the only 'affordable' option is Medicaid) the I do not see how Medicaid would be exempt. However, I am talking logically and that does not necessarily apply.

I do know that where I live, if a mother is on WIC OR Medicaid, there is a program to help them get lactation assistance offered by the local breastfeeding coalition. And again, while a LLL Leader would not be a professional lactation consultant, she may be helpful and she would be free to anyone.

No I am not suggesting that you not pump. If you are supplementing and do not pump, that that is going to harm your milk production. I am suggesting you troubleshoot your pumping routine and your pump to try to figure out why pumping is causing you pain, and to consider adding hand expression to your pump routine.

if the pain is due to too much friction when you pump or because your pump flange is too small and you cannot get another one for a bit, you could try lubing up the flange with some olive oil to see if that cuts down on the friction.

also pumping too long on each side causes pain for some moms.

Finally, got to see the Breast feeding consultant at WIC.
    Not only was she able to set me up with the personal fit connector kit and larger breast shields for the pump I have. She was able to help us with some education about different methods of expressing milk and using massage and compressions along with the pumping to get more milk out etc.

We also weighed the baby there (I know a different scale etc but they are inspected/calibrated so at least it gives me another measure in between the weigh ins at the dr's office.) Anyway 8 lb 9.5oz so looks like progress.

She was also able to supply me with a SNS so that I don't have to keep using the syringe with tube set up we hand been using from the dr's office. That was a pain because I had to hunch over to the side to have something to hang the syringe tube on and still have the feeding tube reach my breast. The SNS is still cumbersome to deal with tubes and stuff but SOOOO much easier than the syringe and PVC feeding tube (was too stiff to really tape in place without having it stick out oddly and poke the baby up the nose or in the eye while trying to get him latched, he does have a fairly aggressive latch.)

So now I'm doing little more for the next several days other than feeding, pumping, eating and sleeping.
    Hopefully we make some progress this weekend.

So glad to hear you got some good help! Fingers crossed for the weekend, mama.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

So when pumping to increase milk supply...
    Well here is my situation. I'm feeding very often!!!
    I've managed to get the supplementing with formula down to about 5 oz a day.
    I'm trying to increase Milk supply by not only feeding him often but also by pumping at least as many times as I'm supplementing with formula. However, it is difficult to pump between feedings when he seems to be needing the supplementing the most (evening cluster feeding.)
    Also, pumping I've never been able to actually pump much volume and to try to pump for some length of time beyond getting any milk out is difficult. I never get much but it tends to keep coming in single drops for ages.

So, is pumping worth it at this point. I'm not actually getting much out and I usually can't continue pumping for 3-5 minutes beyond the last drop since that never seems to come. Even with massage and hand expression I rarely get more than one drop at a time and a 15-20 minute pumping session usually only gives about 1/8-1/4 oz. Will continuing to try to pump help milk supply or is it just giving me sore nipples for little gain?

Getting the larger nipple shields helped but pumping still leaves me with very tender nipples.

On a positive note,
    we did make it back up to Birth weight before he got to 3 weeks old and now at 4 weeks we are more than a quarter pound above Birth weight.

I would really like to reach the point where I am not needing to supplement or pump at least for a little while.

I've been taking Fenugreek and I finally got to the point where I smell like it. Should I keep up at this dosage now or drop back to the lower dosage or stop taking it?

Hi, it sounds like you are doing very well. I know this has been & continues to be difficult for you, and I am so happy you got some good help it sounds like. But your success is your doing.

To answer your question about pumping. Here is how I look at it. Pumping is always worth it in the sense that the more often milk is removed from the breasts, and the more milk overall removed, the more milk your body makes. If you were not supplementing, no, pumping would not be needed. There would be no reason to pump, because if you were not supplementing, that would indicate you make enough milk so no need to pump. When you are supplementing, not only is pumping needed so that you can eventually bring milk production up to where you do not need to supplement, and also to offset the (theoretical) less time baby is spending at the breast due to getting supplements. 5 ounces is not as much as you were supplementing before, it's very good progress. But it still equals about two normal feedings at the breast.

Here is what I do not think is needed. Pumping "until' some certain thing happens, such as, Pumping 'past' when milk is coming out, pumping until milk stops flowing, pumping for 20 minutes a side, or any other specific measure. Not only is this not necessarily needed, it is often simply not realistic. I also do not think you need to pump in the evenings if that is hard for you. Instead, I suggest pump as long as you can, even if it is a short time, when you can. In other words, fit pumping in when it makes sense for you and your schedule. I would love to be able to tell you to stop pumping, but as long as baby is being supplemented, the fact is, not pumping at all could create a setback. That said, a very short rest from pumping of no more than a day or two is unlikely to cause too much of a backslide. I am not happy pumping is hurting you still. Did you try the lubrication idea? Pump at lower setting? Were you ever able to get a better pump?

Fenugreek: If you think it is helping, Unless the fenugreek is giving you some difficulty, I would suggest keep at this dosage for as long as you need to, certainly at least until you are making enough milk that you no longer need to supplement. If it is not helping, then you can consider if another galactagogue or a blend might serve you better. The book Making More Milk has lots of info on various galactagogues. It is not expensive to buy but you may be able to get a loaner copy though the lactation program at WIC, local LLL, or (maybe) the regular public library. Actually that reminds me I am going to ask my county library to purchase it.

I've also been drinking some Mother's Milk tea, just ran out though so need to get more. It is only a day or so ago that I was able to tell that my sweat smelled like the Fenugreek so I maybe only just reached the needed amount in my system. I'll keep up the higher dosage then at least till I can get off the supplement.

As to pumping. I'll keep fitting that in as best I can. I did take a few days off from it here and there. I haven't tried lubrication since I did get the larger shields my nipples are not rubbing in the tubes. Maybe I will try and see if lubrication helps right around the aerola but most of the nipple tenderness seems to be from the suction. Adjusting the suction on the pump doesn't seem to make much difference, still wind up with swollen tender nipples even at the lowest suction setting. This makes me think that even with a more powerful hospital pump, I would not necessarily have better luck or be any more comfortable. Now if using lubrication with the shields helps, does that mean I shouldn't save and feed that expressed milk to the baby with the supplemental formula? Since the pump doesn't cause the milk to "spray" out only drip, it usually drips along my nipple down to the shield and would contact any lubrication used. I have been adding what little expressed milk I get to the formula when we supplement.

Supplementing is done using the Medela SNS so babe is getting breast milk along with the ounce at a time of formula and my breasts are getting stimulation and he is removing milk from me at the same time. I started using the smallest tubes with the SNS a few days back since he was really guzzling the contents of the SNS with the medium tubes.

I did look through the books available at the Pregnancy support center when I was there for the "safe sleep class" but they didn't seem to have anything on breastfeeding. I did get the recipe for "lactation cookies" from the WIC office.

On a really happy note, last night I was able to get him to happily nurse in bed and I didn't have to get up and go to the other room to nurse and we all got lots more sleep and when I checked weight this morning, he was obviously getting a good amount of milk from me so it seems my overnight supply has improved.

During the morning and evening hours he is still tending to want to eat hourly (and since he often takes most of an hour to nurse, this comes out to meaning CONSTANTLY) Hopefully this is still a good thing for increasing supply and not going to cause issues.
    Afternoon and Evening are currently when I seem to feel empty so assume that is when I need to be trying to fit some extra pumping sessions in to increase supply then. Afternoon, evening, and Before bed is usually when I find I need to supplement the most.

I don't have any advice that hasn't already been given, but I just wanted to chime in and say I think it is amazing that you are working so hard to make this work for your baby. The progress you've made so far is really impressive and I just wanted to throw in some kudos and encouragement to keep it up. Your baby is so lucky to have a mama who cares so much about giving him the best possible start.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Well, I figure for this early time, my primary concerns are to be taking care of baby and myself.
    It has frustrated me how many people seem to be pushing for me to basically give up and just continue supplementing. Either they don't really realize that using the SNS isn't really a good long term option or that supplementing with a bottle would probably simply result in slowly weaning off breast milk to bottle only. He is only a month old and I am NOT giving up on breast feeding so easy, especially since I've heard from so many people that really establishing good breastfeeding can take 6 weeks. Giving in now seems to be at least 2 weeks premature in my book. AND I HAVE made such good progress it would be such a shame to give up now, when I might be just a week or two from exclusive breastfeeding.

Hopefully my first time experience being posted here might help other first time Moms so I'll try to keep posting about my progress.