Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Finally, I did a search this morning for "infant tongue tie, exercises"
    And came up with the following web site
    http://www.lowmilksupply.org/tonguetie.shtml
    They had a listing for Frenotomy Surgeons and Practitioners
    Some of the ones listed for Florida I had already contacted but there was a Dentist a couple hours away that at first couldn't get me in till next week but then they called me back 5 minutes later with a cancellation opening for 2 pm today. We went!!
    http://www.sierradmd.com/#!tongue-ti...evision-/c22gd
    Had a consultation and evaluation by the Doctor and then had him do the procedure, Grandma paid.
    It was done with a lazer so basically no bleeding. Have been given stretches to do with him to help make sure the tissue doesn't heal back together or heal tight causing further problems in the future. I'll be doing the stretches on him 6 times a day for the next two weeks and then reducing the amount we do them for the 3rd week.
    I need to call the LC and arrange to work with her again on latching in a few days once the pain is gone for him since he will likely need to re-learn how to suckle.

wow awesome! keep us posted!

I second hand expression.. I can get an extra oz from both breasts with hand expression!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*emily.mclean View Post
    I second hand expression.. I can get an extra oz from both breasts with hand expression!
    I do hands on pumping to get more milk out, I also often do breast compressions while nursing. However, hand expression alone really doesn't seem to work for me except to get a drop of milk out to spread on my nipples for healing.

I'm not pumping or expressing while away from baby, I'm pumping after nursing to build supply so I'm never doing it while really full. I don't squirt much and I never leak. Trying to hand express was pretty futile since the drops would just cling to my breasts and dribble down my body and not drip into a bowl, after each squeeze would require me to pick up a spoon to collect the drip before being able to squeeze again, really not efficient enough.

I cut sm holes in the nursing bra so now I can pump one side while nursing on the other.
    My left doesn't produce nearly as much as the right so I normally start nursing on the left. I think I will primarily be pumping the left while baby gets to finish nursing on the right then finish off with a short time of pumping both. I can't really do much compressions while nursing/pumping at same time but it does save me a little time since I don't feel the need to pump as long on the right as it's supply already seems adequate most of the time.

Frustrated.
    Both of us.
    Still not able to get a good deep non-painful latch on the right side.
    And Babe is still not sucking effectively enough and has begun to try to latch onto the tube instead of my breast when I use the SNS.

I'm still supplementing (but with my own expressed breast milk) about 4 ounces per day. But that is really only maintaining weight now instead of giving gains.

And he is refusing bottles now. (He took bottles of about 2 oz back when he was around 3 weeks old on three occasions on different days.)

We have his 2 month ped appointment coming on Tuesday.

I'm worry about how to get him to re-learn how to suckle more effectively since the LC's advice was really just keep trying to get him to re-latch till he gets it right, try different positions till we find what works, etc, which isn't really working very well.

Since I'm pumping around 4 oz a day when pumping after almost every feeding, I'm wondering if I should attempt a day where I don't pump and I don't supplement to see if we do any better that way?

I'm wondering if I should attempt a day where I don't pump and I don't supplement to see if we do any better that way?
    I would suggest this if baby was gaining normally or close to normally. However, I am concerned that baby in maintaining weight and not gaining. For how long has baby not gained any weight? Baby is two months old now?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    I would suggest this if baby was gaining normally or close to normally. However, I am concerned that baby in maintaining weight and not gaining. For how long has baby not gained any weight? Baby is two months old now?
    we are at the same weight as a week ago. he had gained some then had his weekly poop and dropped down, gained some and then we lost a little today.
    he is over 10 lb

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    Frustrated.
    Both of us.
    Still not able to get a good deep non-painful latch on the right side.
    And Babe is still not sucking effectively enough and has begun to try to latch onto the tube instead of my breast when I use the SNS.
    ?
    I had the same problem and had three blisters form on the nipple, horribly painful. This is TMI but one popped and I still have two. I found a list of suggestions here http://nurshable.com/2012/06/22/latch-tricks
    and the laid back position sort of helped me a little. I also took a days break from nursing in the right side to heal a little.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*qcm View Post
    I had the same problem and had three blisters form on the nipple, horribly painful. This is TMI but one popped and I still have two. I found a list of suggestions here http://nurshable.com/2012/06/22/latch-tricks
    and the laid back position sort of helped me a little. I also took a days break from nursing in the right side to heal a little.
    My LO latches like nobody's business, he can slurp up a passing nipple when we are not even trying, problem is he tends to latch shallow and smash my nipple flat causing vasospasm and pain. Most of the tricks don't seem to stop that.
    The tongue tie division has given him greater tongue mobility and I'm not feeling as much pain from lower gums scraping my aerola or nipple. But, I'm still not getting him to latch as deeply and I'm still getting badly misshapen nipples, especially on the right which is larger and that side is the bigger milk producer.