Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

I have a nursing bra but only wore it once. I really haven't worn bras for the past 15 years, and I don't leak so there hasn't been a need. I'm small busted. I suppose I could try the nursing bra for pumping while nursing.

for side lying, even with pillows my back is usually giving me fits before morning. I've tried both head on arm and not. Putting baby on pillow to reach top breast instead seems to work but I'm afraid about falling to sleep that way and having him roll off.

OMG
    I just called back to the place that the ped office referred me to for the tongue tie trying to find out how much it would cost to self pay. They won't let us self pay!!!

I think I might be stuck driving a couple hours up to the University of FL for their Center for Breastfeeding and Newborns. Could be a long trip with having to stop 2-3 times to nurse along the way (and he takes a long time to nurse usually too.)

Wow, you are just hitting wall after wall!

I wonder if they are really allowed to not let you self pay. Isn't this denying medical treatment? When we have had to pay out of pocket for things at the doctors, I have found we might be initially told no or told there is no price structure set up, presumably because most staff do not have the experience to deal with the billing if an insurer is not involved. But when we pressed, we have always been able to pay out of pocket.

On the other hand, if you have a good clinic that is possible to drive to, that might be a better choice anyway, even if the drive is arduous with a newborn. Baby might surprise you and sleep most of the way. I have never heard of that Center but the name is one I like!

Sigh, I've had a BAD morning.
    The University of Florida Center for Breastfeeding and Newborns also gave me the same line, that they couldn't help me because he has medicaid and they don't work with the plan provider. So making the long drive doesn't help us either. Unless we go under assumed names now I guess.
    After spending 45 minutes on hold with the insurance, they gave me a name of one ENT (unfortunately they only deal in adults.)
    I called the Ped office several more times, left a couple more messages with the Referral person. Called and spent a 1/2 hour on hold trying to make another appointment. Called and left a message with the appointment line. Called again and couldn't even get through. Had to charge phone. Called and finally got to talk to someone. See the medicaid just switched to making everyone be in some sort of managed medical plan which took effect on May 1. So I finally got them to give me a referral to a pediatric ENT place that works with my plan but the earliest we can be seen is May 15th.

I've gone and called a few other places to try and find somewhere else that maybe I could get him treated sooner but so far no good.

How are we gonna survive this? Even doing the supplementing extra isn't really making things pain free and he is still taking a very long time to eat. I don't have much time to pump. And my supply seems to be backsliding again due to the stress and that is only 5 days. I have ten more days to go before the appointment.

ugh how frustrating!

I forget-are you now using or have you ever tried using a nipple shield? If you did, Did it help with the pain at all? I know this is not the best option but in some cases it's a cheap temporary fix for nipple pain and baby having difficulty latching.

Keep calling the office you are going to see if anyone cancels.

I would also suggest calling or emailing anyone in your area who might have the name of a local doctor or dentist who can do this for you more quickly for a reduced fee. WIC? LLL? Lactation consultants? State Breastfeeding Coalition? This is really nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*tclynx View Post
    OMG
    I just called back to the place that the ped office referred me to for the tongue tie trying to find out how much it would cost to self pay. They won't let us self pay!!!

I think I might be stuck driving a couple hours up to the University of FL for their Center for Breastfeeding and Newborns. Could be a long trip with having to stop 2-3 times to nurse along the way (and he takes a long time to nurse usually too.)
    I would call the office back and insist on speaking with the office manager. Odds are, you dealt with some dumbo receptionist who only deals with regular insurance people and who assumes "no" whenever hit with something out of the ordinary. That happened to me when trying to get our first pediatrician appointment.

Good luck, and sorry you've had so many roadblocks! Your dedication is admirable!

I don't know if a nipple shield would be of any help, my nipples are big and easy to latch onto, I'm not sure how putting something else in the way would keep them from being injured? The one lactation consultant started to bring them up but then changed her mind because of the size/shape of my nipples.

I sent out an e-mail to as many IBCLCs as I could find e-mail addresses for in my area to see if they know of anyone else who preforms the procedures or has ideas to help me get through.

I really need to get this sorted out because my mom will be leaving in the next week and a half and then DH will be out of town most of June. There is no way I can be on my own here while also having to deal with marathon feedings and having to try to pump to keep supply up for a baby that can't suck effectively enough.

So I work in a doctor's office and we HATE when people do this...but I'm going to suggest it anyway. Walk in to wherever you were referred to go (no appointment), and don't leave until you have talked to a manager. Better yet, don't leave until they've done the procedure. Insist on self-paying if they really won't take your insurance. Being told you "can't" self-pay is ridiculous.

If you're going to use this technique I recommend going early in the morning and packing a lunch. They'll know you're serious if you camp out in the waiting room long enough. Be friendly and polite about it but firm. If they turn you away say you'l be back the next day and the next. It's the whole "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing.

Otherwise do you have a local LLL leader you can call? They may know of someone who will clip it - a dentist, family practice doc, maybe even a midwife. It doesn't have to be an ENT. I work with a DO who does them.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    So I work in a doctor's office and we HATE when people do this...but I'm going to suggest it anyway. Walk in to wherever you were referred to go (no appointment), and don't leave until you have talked to a manager. Better yet, don't leave until they've done the procedure. Insist on self-paying if they really won't take your insurance. Being told you "can't" self-pay is ridiculous.

If you're going to use this technique I recommend going early in the morning and packing a lunch. They'll know you're serious if you camp out in the waiting room long enough. Be friendly and polite about it but firm. If they turn you away say you'l be back the next day and the next. It's the whole "squeaky wheel gets the grease" thing.

Otherwise do you have a local LLL leader you can call? They may know of someone who will clip it - a dentist, family practice doc, maybe even a midwife. It doesn't have to be an ENT. I work with a DO who does them.
    hum, attempting the "camp out" could take some major planning, with a baby that likes to nurse very often or almost constantly. I did get an appointment with a practice that takes my medicaid plan, it is just a ways away. They actually have several different offices so it would be tricky to even choose which one to camp out at.

I have sent out inquiry to several IBCLC but I guess I need to look up to find contacts for the regional LLL. I don't really have a very local group but I know there are some in the region. I did already call several dentists and a couple oral surgeons.

The issue with No self pay, it's due to regular insurance but because of medicaid. I don't think it is that I can't self pay but if they let me self pay they get in trouble or something. Now if they didn't take medicaid at all, then I could self pay but now they have implemented this managed medical plans thing with medicaid so now not only do I have to find providers that take medicaid but ALSO are contracted with the insurance medical plan that medicaid has stuck us into. And this change only took place the start of May so no one seems to know what is going on.

grr. Would probably all be easier once we loose our medicaid and have NO coverage but that won't help NOW, I need this done last week.

Can they let- ahem- someone else self-pay for you? Let's say your mom offers to pay them, as a gift to you. All you have to do is slip her a check later.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"