Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4101112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Actually the blisters are also cause by a shallow latch. With the reclining position gravity helps him get a slightly deeper latch and prevents him from sliding off which would happen often with my LO

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*qcm View Post
    Actually the blisters are also cause by a shallow latch. With the reclining position gravity helps him get a slightly deeper latch and prevents him from sliding off which would happen often with my LO
    I guess I'm lucky not to have experienced any blisters

I have more problem with my LO pulling back on the nipple. I think the reclined positions may help some against that but it doesn't necessarily stop him from doing it. He doesn't "slip off" suction is way to strong unless he has fallen to sleep and is spitting out the boob, even asleep he usually has enough suction and grip that I often have to really get my finger in there and pry apart his jaws to let my nipple out.
    We actually often go to sleep reclining with him on the left breast though. Right is generally too tender to let him sleep with lately.

I have to wonder if I just don't have as much feeling in my left nipple since it looks like it should be hurting. That side is smaller and doesn't produce as much and there is what looks like it should be a sore spot on the side of the nipple but generally latching isn't nearly so painful on that side and neither is pumping.

The Right side, bigger, producing more and a very pronounced nipple is far more sensitive to not only latching but also pumping, it is the right side that often makes me turn the pump down to almost nothing.

What I'm having the most difficulty doing is getting him to open wide and even when I do occasionally manage to get him latched on really wide and deep, he almost immediately pulls back to a shallower latch. And he will REALLY REALLY struggle against being held in tight to try to get him to maintain that deep latch. And I'm not holding his head into it but his sholders.

I need help RE-training him how to suck differently.

Now earlier tonight, Dad did finally get him to take maybe 1/2 an oz via the Kiinde bottle. I'm hoping that tomorrow we can supplement him using the Kiinde bottle which is supposed to promote a deep latch and not use the SNS since that seems to be encouraging him just to try and suck with a shallow latch lately.

Well this is interesting.
    It has been 5 days since he got any formula (when we have used formula it has been Nutramigen.)
    Poop on the combo of formula and breast milk has always been a light brown and fairly sticky but not formed into poops.
    He picked up a pattern of pooping only about once every 7-9 days by about 2-3 weeks old.

Today he pooped which is only a few days since his previous poop. And he has pooped three times already today. It is far more yellow now than it has been for the previous 6 weeks. It isn't really seedy or curdy.

Yesterday he got 4 3/4 oz of supplemented breastmilk in addition to his regular nursing, most of that via the SNS.
    Last night I set the alarm to get up and nurse every 3 hours (normally there is at least one 4 hour stretch.) I pumped after nursing overnight but today I'm giving myself a little break from the pump but it will probably mean I won't have enough extra expressed breastmilk to use to supplement tomorrow. Today I'm nursing every 1-2 hours and will hopefully be able to get babe to take some supplement via bottle since yesterday he started trying to latch onto the SNS tube.

This afternoon we are about an oz down in weight from last night's weigh in, which seems to be expected from all the pooping he has done and I guess that means he has actually gotten more breast milk than normal even though he hasn't gotten any supplement since last nights weigh in.

I'm feeling so edgy about his weight though I know part of it may be just recovery after the tongue/lip tie surgery and re-learning but the feeling of almost panic the last couple days when the SNS has seemed to become a problem instead of a help and his resistance to the bottle (though maybe that is passed, daddy is giving a bottle right now in the other room) and poor weight gain the past week.
    I'm really hoping we are perhaps just getting past the "worse before better" part of all this.

Was feeling a bit anxious earlier today.
    But after only getting about 1.25 oz of expressed Breast Milk supplement into him today, we are still over 1/2 an oz above last evenings weight, and that is even after he pooped 4 times today!!!!! Not normal for him but maybe having fed extra overnight and having not had any formula for 5 days has something to do with it.
    So, I guess I should relax a little more and concentrate on trying to get a better latch happening.
    The LC called us up to check on us today and we chatted and she doesn't have too many ideas but she did suggest trying to finger feed a few times so that I can take the finger away easier when he starts compressing or gumming too much without causing myself extra nipple injury.

Perhaps will try that tomorrow morning.

Didn't manage to really finger feed, even more cumbersome than using the SNS normally. Hard to maneuver a baby with the tube attached to you hand.
    DH only got babe to take 1 oz via bottle and I'm having more extreme difficulty with babe trying to latch onto the SNS tube when using it. I had to push to get a 3rd oz of supplement into him today in order to avoid having a weight loss for the day.
    We go for the 2 month Ped appointment in the morning.

I hope the apt goes well. frequent weight checks are going to be quite erratic. Of course, with a sensitive scale, a full tummy will make the weight go up and an empty bowel (or bladder) will make it go down. This is why very frequent weight checks, while helpful for some things, are of limited use for measuring actual long range growth. In other words, it might be helpful to stand back and look at a larger picture as well.

I would hope the frequent poops is a good sign that baby is getting a good amount of milk. I am not surprised that both the poop look and pattern is very different with no formula on board.

Sign, Ped appointment
    10 lb 2 oz
    24" Long
    14 5/8" head

He has dropped percentile which has the Dr wanting him back next week for a weight check.
    I requested an LC referral. Unfortunately, not everyone in that Ped office seems quite as supportive of breastfeeding.

Daddy is currently trying to give babe a 2 oz bottle with half expressed breast milk and half Formula while I pump. It really doesn't sound like it is going well out there though.

Have sent messages to two of the somewhat local IBCLCs with private practices.
    I'm seeking someone who can help with advanced suck re training as this isn't really a case of simple positioning help.
    He latches and he almost gets enough so it is really hard for me to convince him that latching deeper and sucking in another way will be more rewarding. Attempting to simply keep relatching seems to just make him really frustrated and me more sore.
    I fear the medicaid insurance may only cover assistance through WIC and my county's WIC seems not to have any IBCLCs.
    Sigh, this might mean the difference between being able to pay for getting the AC in the car fixed or not. I really hate to take him anywhere in my car after 10 am since the AC quit working and it is getting HOT here now.

Ok,
    have not heard from the Dentist, The Dr office, or any of the IBClCs.

Found a couple tongue tie support groups on facebook and spoke with one consultant from one group. I think she would be willing to travel up here but it would be a long drive. If I haven't found anyone closer who shows confidence in helping with suck re-training by Monday and if things haven't gotten drastically better on our own, I'll probably try to get an appointment with her (she isn't an IBCLC but I might not get much choice.)

Keep pushing, mama! You have been working so hard and I am sorry that people aren't getting back to you... dedication deserves to be rewarded!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"