Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Doesn't look like I'm going to be able to get any help this weekend since today is pretty much over as far as dr offices are concerned.

I'm fairly tough and determined but at this point I probably have to increase the supplement over the weekend or he may cause me too much damage ad hurt milk production instead of helping.

At this point I think the pain while pumping is now just because I hurt from babe being so rough because he is working so terribly hard to extract milk when his tongue doesn't extend easily enough.

At least the SNS lets him get more food easier so he will be a bit gentler to my breasts when we use it and I'll just have to pump more to make up for it. Hopefully the pain will lessen enough that I can pump longer before it starts hurting. The hospital LC assures me that even if I have a three day set back that once the baby is sucking properly that I'll be able to re-establish my milk supply for him fairly quickly.
    Sigh, the saga continues. I had so hoped to be off the supplements and NOT needing to power pump by now! It is so incredibly hard to keep up with the frequent/LONG feedings Plus Pumping which then makes it nearly impossible to get that afternoon nap that everyone says I'm supposed to be taking, let alone getting anything done. I was managing fairly well for the past 7 weeks but now DH had to go back to work and is out of town for a week. I still have my mom and aunt near by but that is really only help with dinner/dishes and the pets and to hold the baby so I can get a shower now and then. I can't expect them to come over after every feeding so I can pump. So far today I've managed since babe has seemed content to lay in his crib for 10-12 minutes after I feed him and stare at the mobile and listen to music but this has only been between 5 am this morning and 2:30 pm. Wish me luck this evening.

It IS a quick procedure that can be done in the peds office. But peds are not taught this in med school. They have to learn it on the outside. My SIL, the breastfed daughter of my LLL member/breastfeeding advocate MIL, is a newly minted pediatrician who trained at John Hopkins and she said to me "tongue tie? That does not affect breastfeeding!" argh.
    Do you have dental insurance? I wonder if any pediatric dentists around you do it.

You are tough, and how. But you do what you can do. Good luck.

hum, had not thought of it as dental. Might have to look into that option. But I expect that once I make it though the weekend and get in to see some one next week it will be a moot point. It just seems all my crisis happen such that I'm stuck to my own devices through the weekends!

Really wish I had known to ASK to have him checked for it while we were both still in the hospital after birth, sigh.

Yes dentists do it. (not all of course, my kids dentist looked at me like I was cracked when I asked about if they do it.) But some do, and in some places you are more likely to find a dentist who will do a release than a physician.

This dentist in Albany has some info online that may be helpful to you.

I think LLLMeg missed a link in her post- this is the ALbany dentist who specializes in tongue ties: http://www.kiddsteeth.com
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks! Yes I goofed.

Ok, came across a forum thread and then a blog by some one who had tongue tie problems and difficulty finding a doctor to treat it.
    I found one of the doctors in my area. Sounds like I might be in the nick of time since apparently he won't do the treatment in the office beyond 3 months old so after 3 mo it requires anesthesia. We will be 2 months this coming week. I really hope I don't have to wait too long to get an appointment (the person who posted the blog, he son was 4 months by the time she was able to get the appointment.)

So today I supplemented with the 4 1/2 oz I had pumped yesterday plus 1 3/4 oz of formula for a total of 6 1/4 oz of supplement.
    weight gain of over 3 oz. We have made it over 10 lb according to my scale (probably still under 10 according to the scale at the dr office.)

During the day babe is often fine to be in his crib for 10-15 minutes after nursing while I pump but last night after the night feedings I was not able to pump. I did attempt to pump one side while nursing on the other but it didn't really work very well, I need to do compressions while pumping and not being able to wear the pump bra while also nursing means I don't have a hand free for compressions.

Even with the extra supplement, babe isn't giving me very long between feedings. He still takes a long time and wants to eat every 1 1/2-2 hours during the day. Well we took a nap which meant 3 hours between but he spent part of the nap latched on.
    At night I set my alarm to wake us ever 4 hours to eat but again, he usually falls to sleep nursing or spends part of the sleep time latched on or dream feeding.

Today I pumped 8 times (though some of the pumping sessions were really short.) He ate 10 times (one of those times was actually like a 2 hour feeding marathon where he would fall to sleep I would think he was done and 15 minutes later he was screaming for food again. Something tells me he is trying to have another growth spurt

Normally my son doesn't wake up and demand food at night, I usually have to have the alarm wake me to feed him. I usually have the alarm set for midnight and again at 4 am and then we usually get up at 6 or 7.
    Last night, He woke up screaming for food at 11 pm so then I set the next alarm for 3 am.
    For the past week or so I've been getting up to nurse and then I take baby back to snuggle with dad while I pump but since DH isn't in town this week I decided to try just nursing in bed. It doesn't seem to be working all that well though.

I have trouble with my back aching if I spend too much time side lying to nurse since it isn't exactly like sleeping on my side. I used extra pillows last night to get into a semi reclining position and had DS across my chest but he was fussy about that.

When I nurse side-lying I always have to have a big pillow behind my back for support. I also nurse with R's head on my arm, not all the way down on the bed. Not sure if that will help you or not but it is worth trying.

Do you wear a nursing-bra? When I pump I just slip the flange inside the nursing bra. The hands-free pumping bra never worked for me.