Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: PLEASE HELP!!!! What is an Ideal diet while breastfeeding

Unhappy PLEASE HELP!!!! What is an Ideal diet while breastfeeding

Hello everyone, I am having the hardest time with my milk because its making my lil guy gassy. The pumping is going well and he latches on perfect, it the gas and now its the dairy. Took him to the dr because lil blood in the stool. Please some one help me, I dont care if I have to eat the same thing everyday I just want to stop him from having the gas pains. I enjoy breastfeeding and plan to do it for a year, but I got to get my diet better. I am a big veggie eater and I have cut back, but what can I eat?

Default Re: PLEASE HELP!!!! What is an Ideal diet while breastfeedin

Hey there! I'm sorry you haven't had a reply yet!

In general a 'good' diet while breastfeeding is a healthy diet with you eating to hunger - breastfeeding csn make you hungry and that's ok!

I'm not entirely sure why you are pumping... Gassiness and even blood in the stool isn't a reason to not feed. Both can be linked to oversupply for which the best way to handle it is to breastfeed often and to use reclined positions to help with overactive letdown which is common with oversupply ( tho not necessarily happening).

If there is an allergy issue there is a set protocol.

Am hoping Maddieb or Mommal will add some links for this stuff as they are both way more knowledgeable than me!

Why do you have to cut back on eating vegetables? I have heard some people claim that when a mom eats gassy foods it makes the baby gassy, but that is a myth. I little bit of baby gas is not worth drastically changing your diet.

Why are you pumping? Getting ready to go back to work? If you are pumping more that a couple of extra ounces per day then you may have created an oversupply situation, which can lead to a gassy baby.

Then again, some babies are just gassy and they will grow out of it in a few months. In the meantime, practice some baby massage to help release the gas.
    My little man was born 12/17/2010.

Baby girl was born 4/30/2014.

Perfect diet for breastfeeding: a reasonably healthy, well rounded diet consisting of what you and your family usually eat. Via moms breastmilk is the way a baby is gently and safely introduced to the diet he will eat as an older child and adult.

Gassyness in a baby is usually normal and probably has nothing to do with what mom eats. True intolerances to certain foods have more severe symptoms. Blood in stool MAY indicate an issue with something you are eating, and that something is usually dairy. have you tried eliminating dairy and for how long? However, not always is blood in stool even a problem.

As pp note, a large overproduction causing a fast letdown may cause more gas and possibly even blood in stool. Baby taking a long time between nursing sessions or being overfed with a bottle may also be an issue.

Allergic proctocolitus in a breastfed infant protocol including how mom can systematically and safely do food eliminations : http://www.bfmed.org/Media/Files/Pro...ish_120211.pdf

Jack newman on allergies and food eliminations (at end of this article) http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...gename=doc-CBB

You are not doing this to your baby, and breastfeeding is not doing it either. Sine you do not mention any weight gain issues, I am assuming baby is healthy and gaining, as is normal even when their are allergy issues unless they are very severe. You are doing great. If there is a problem, it is solvable, and probably solvable without you drastically changing your diet.

with the 3 excellent replies above!

Thank you everyône

I pump because I went back to work. I had to let go dairy because it was causing the blood in his stool. Now I'm losing my supply

Can you give us more details? What is happening that indicates you are loosing your supply? How old is baby, how long are you separated each day, how much milk in bottles does baby get while you are separated, how often (how many times a day) does baby nurse when you are with baby, how often do you pump at work or at home, what kind of pump and have you checked the pump for problems (changed membranes, etc)

Low milk production is not the same as low or lower pump output. Low milk production has many potential causes, and knowing the cause helps find the solution. Also, many moms suspect low milk production when in fact everything is normal. So that is why all the questions.

Is not eating dairy a hardship for you or preventing you from eating enough? Have you experimented with reintroducing dairy into your diet? Because many moms find they can reintroduce dairy when baby is a bit older even when there were issues previously, or can reintroduce things like cheese and yogurt even if they have to avoid milk. Of course there is no NEED to reintroduce dairy if you do not want to. Dairy is not necessary as long as you are getting enough to eat and good overall nutrition for yourself without it.