Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Default 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

I gave birth to my first child the evening of March 12 (Natural) He was 8 lb 14.6 oz at birth and 8 lb 5 oz was listed as discharge weight The Friday Night (though I think that weight was probably from the evening after Birth, Thursday).
    We had an appointment for him with the Pediatrician on Monday, by which time he was down to 7 lb 10 oz and we had to supplement. They sent us home with a feeding tube set up not an easy one to use though) and some formula with probiotics. We were to supplement an oz with each feeding. Thursday he was back up to discharge weight so I was to only supplement for every other feed for two days before stopping the supplement.

Today is the first day I was not supposed to be supplementing.
    He hasn't pooped since we reduced the supplement.
    Today a three times when I got done breastfeeding and he was still very hungry I gave him some supplement.

Babe latches well (did right from birth) though it is difficult and sometimes painful when also trying to get the tube in place at the same time.
    When nursing from me without the feeding tube he has a tendency to latch on, suck vigorously only briefly and then tend to go into sleep feeding.

I fear that I didn't do enough research into breast feeding before I had the baby and therefore I didn't know enough to ignore certain advice or comments of some of the nurses and even my family (Things like don't let him use you as a passifier or never wake a sleeping baby or let him sleep when I would try to wake him to feed him on schedule.)
    Now the tube feeding provides a lot more faster and easier for him so it seems that he isn't nursing as effectively now as he was before the supplementing.

I think my milk was slow coming in as well. It was a really hard 12 hour labor and I had been in pre labor for over 24 hours before they would admit me to the hospital so I was pretty drained even before giving birth and I did loose quite a bit of blood due to a 4th degree tear and wasn't up to even getting into a wheel chair to move to the recovery room and they had to wheel me over in the bed.

So now I'm trying to figure out how to increase my milk production so I don't have to continue supplementing as a long term thing.

I have some milk for him but obviously not enough. Everyone keeps telling me to relax since that is necessary to have the milk let down well but it is very hard when I'm feeling heartbroken and guilty for not being able to provide what I feel I should for my baby. Help

Default Re: 10 day old baby and inadequate milk supply

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on the new baby!

The first thing I would love for you to do is to see a lactation consultant, preferably an IBCLC. You can find one here: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3432. It looks like there are a good number in the larger cities in central FL. The LC should work with you on supplementing, positioning, and she should asses your baby 's latching and feeding ability. An office visit should include a weigh-feed-weigh measurement- this is where you weigh the baby before and after nursing to assess how much milk he takes in during a feeding. And the LC should also help you with pumping.

The reason I want you to see a professional for hands-on help is that give then information you've posted, it's not clear to me whether or not supplementing is necessary. On the one hand, you were given the go-ahead to stop the supplements. On the other, it sounds like the baby might not be getting enough when he nurses, due to the fact that he has gone several days without pooping- but that could just be a normal fluctuation.

If this were my baby, my first action would be to see the IBCLC. And My second would be to get myself a good pump with correctly sized shields- a hospital-grade rental would be ideal, a good double electric would be my second choice- and pump frequently. I'm thinking that because of the blood loss you suffered during birth, the supplements, and the baby who sounds like he's kind of sleepy and sometimes a lazy nurser, the is a possibility that your supply hasn't yet gotten the stimulation it needs to become really abundant. So when the baby is unable or unwilling to do the job, you use the pump to make up for any stimulation the baby isn't giving. Once you can pump all the baby's supplements, your supply is equal to his needs and it's a little easier to phase out the supplements since the pump has assisted you in boosting supply.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Are lactation consultants likely to take calls or answer messages on the weekend?
    I think part of my problem is we came home from the hospital on Friday Night and didn't get in to see the pediatrician till Monday Morning and now again it didn't become obvious to me that stopping the supplement was not going to work until Friday Night.

It depends on the LC. Some will be available on the weekends, some not- just call them and see what happens. Hopefully you'll get lucky!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Heard back from one Consultant. She works at a Hospital and unfortunately they are about an hour and a half drive from here. They do an inexpensive clinic for breastfeeding on Mondays from 10:30-11:30 am but I won't be able to make that with a 9:50 am appointment up here.
    She did tell me that she thought the breast pump I have gotten from a friend is a good one and that even if it doesn't express much milk at all, If I use it every three hours (pump several minutes beyond seeing any milk come out) for about three days I should be able to get my milk supply back up.
    Now I just need to get baby strong enough.
    Do I keep using the tube feeder while trying to breast feed? Or give in and let some one else feed him with a bottle for a few days?

if bottle feed, are there any recommendations of which nipple to use?
    I have three different ones on hand to choose from
    I have a
    Breastflow
    Medela calma feeding set
    and
    tommee tippee closer to nature

I would say no bottles until nursing is going better, but if supplements are still needed you could use a spoon or syringe after he is done nursing if you don't want to mess with the tube. I have mixed feelings about those tubes. I think they allow babies to be lazy on the breasts and therefor don't stimulate supply very well.

I have to agree with you that the tube has allowed this baby to become lazy, which is really disappointing since he had such a good latch and suck back in the beginning.

I wound up letting my Mom feed him with the tommy tippee bottle while I took a shower (the pediatrician had originally suggested that we use a bottle to supplement but that I not give it and that I shouldn't even be in the room.)

Today the total amount of supplement was back up to about 8 oz and he finally pooped.

I think an inexpensive breastfeeding clinic trumps a local appointment that presumably can be rescheduled. That is a very long drive for a new mom and a 10 day old, but if that is the only way to see an IBCLC, I would suggest, take it.

A breastpump may be a good one when new, and no longer working very well used. They do wear out, parts and even the motor. So troubleshoot your pump. Also the pump flanges must fit you well.

milk production responds to demand. nursing and or pumping frequently, at this age typical nursing frequency would be 10 to 15 times a day or so. But if neither pump or baby are effective at extracting milk, that is a problem. Have you tried adding hand expression into the mix?

I would suggest consider cup feeding or paced bottle feeding if not using a lactation aid. Keep supplements very low volume at a time to be less interfering to baby's hunger signals. Nipple type has not been proven to make much difference although a slow flow nipple is the typical recommendation.

I won't tell you to relax, as that is probably impossible. But please know that this is very early days and this can be turned around. Many moms and baby's struggle at this point and go on to breastfeeding just fine. But I agree with mommal, you would probably benefit from more clarity about whether baby is really not getting enough and if not, why not, how much baby is 'missing' and what to do about it. Poops frequency can be tricky to read especially when baby is getting any formula. Supplementing more than is needed will cause baby to not nurse effectively and eventually lose interest in nursing. This is why it drives me crazy when moms are told to supplement 'every other feeding" without further clarification. If baby is feeding with normal newborn frequency, this would mean supplementing 6 to 8 times a day, on top of nursing at least that often, and I think that is almost never what the doctor really means.

this page has tips on hand expression, bottle feeding breastfed baby, pumping chart, etc. https://www.llli.org/toolkit If you search online Jack Newman breastfeeding he has a nice video about cup feeding.

Thank you lllmeg.
    It is good to have reassurance that things can still turn around.

After having tried the pump again today, I expect that when I tried it the first time after coming home from the hospital, my milk must not have really been in yet. I'm still not able to get much out using the pump but the pump certainly still seems to work though it is used and not in perfect condition. I was able to get about 1/2 an oz when I pumped before dinner. And now I'm guessing I just got a little less than 1/2 an oz. So I expect this will work at least a little bit to help bring production back up.

I'll have a search for the info about cup feeding since the spoon and syringe I have on hand are for medications and I would be stuck doing like 10 ml or 3 ml at a time with those. I'm sick of the tube since he sucks that down too quick and easy and has been simply falling to sleep at the breast really fast otherwise. Need to get his strength back up as well as my milk production back up before I can really expect much putting it all back together again.

Telling me to relax and not worry about it all doesn't help. What does help is when I can find a plan of action and take the steps needed to correct the issues. I'll be calling my WIC lactation consultant tomorrow to see if they can offer more help and possibly lend me the hospital grade pump early (they normally only lend those after breast feeding is established but this is more of an emergency/special case at this point I think.)

Now I keep reading how the "right size" nipple shield is so important for breast pumping. However, I haven't found any info yet about how to tell what the "right size" is??? Any tips since the pumping is going to cause far more nipple pain than the baby ever did. At least with the baby the ouch was normally only an instant as he first latched on and usually settled into a comfortable latch after about two sucks.