Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IUGR baby not gaining - Doc says wean him

Default Re: IUGR baby not gaining - Doc says wean him

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mykidsrock View Post
    It's so hard to know what to do when you fundamentally don't agree with your doctor's perspective.
    Find another doctor, that's what.

Have you tried adding olive oil to everything solid your LO eats? As Krystine suggested, it can really help! Maple syrup though... Nope, not necessary! Breastmilk is super-sweet. The corn syrup that is added to formula is there to mimic the sugary taste of breastmilk.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Also, not sure what your LO is eating, but if it includes any purees you can mix breastmilk in to help increase the calories.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Is it possible to add more nursing sessions? Offer more often, dream nurse.... I'd try to increase his intake of breast milk over anything else. It's the perfect food.

You can do this.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

You should look at a new pediatrician. One of my twins was severe IUGR (34 weeks, 4 days and 3 pounds 13 ounces) and my pediatrician has NEVER had me try formula with her. She's almost a year, and probably about 15 pounds (she was 13 at the 9 month visit and we were freaked out but my doctor said it was ok!). We've been all breast milk and solids now (since 6 months) and she's consistently gained weight, although she's definitely smaller than her twin. But formula has never once entered our conversation.

Yesterday, I spoke with the nurse that followed us early on when we had nursing difficulties. (Our local public health nurses visit LLL meetings as part of their training, and use the "Breastfeeding Answer book" as their main tool). She is great. Her exact quote is "You are definitely not going to give up nursing, I mean, I wouldn't want to go against what your doctor is saying, but you are definitely not going to stop nursing".

So, now I know someone is on my team. I am going to continue to nurse as usual, and offer bottles during the day to 'top up'. My LO doesn't take more than an ounce from a bottle right now, so it shouldn't effect my supply. That way I can tell my doc that I tried. If he happens to suddenly start liking the bottle, then I'll have him weighed and we'll decide if he seems to need more volume than I am giving him or if I just offer the bottle occasionally. I really think my milk supply is fine though. If he wasn't getting enough, he would be taking more from the bottle top ups.

For now my focus is on adding calories to his food. Olive oil in baby food, butter on pancakes...

Hopefully he's going to have a good growth spurt in the next few weeks.
    MKR

Mom to 5 and loving it!

DS 2005, DS 2007, DD 2009, DS 2011, DS May 2013 (4lb 14 oz - 37 week IUGR)

Just a thought, but have you considered topping off at breast with a lactation aid vs bottle since bottles can mess up latch?
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

We haven't had any difficulties with latch this time around. At 4 months he had growth trouble, and when I introduced bottles (at doc's orders), it did mess up his latch so I stopped the bottles. This time he seems fine going back and forth. Our public health unit will provide and S&S kit if I really need it, but they say it's too labor intensive for a long term solution. They don't find women stick with it, but that it's better for short term issues.

Last time I was able to get him back on track with some great breastfeeding advice from my LLL leader and Public Health Nurse. LLL saves the day again!

Right now my goal is to work more from the food perspective. He doesn't seem to mind his food with the extra oils in it. I'm hoping that will make the difference. I really just offer the bottles so that I can say I tried. The most he's taken in the last couple of days is 15 ml in a sitting. Usually when he sees the bottle he turns his head away, and then I don't push it. I won't force feed.

Thanks
    MKR

Mom to 5 and loving it!

Yay! I got my pediatrician appointment, so I can cancel the appointment with the difficult GP!!! Now lets hope the Ped doesn't ask me to wean.

MKR

Mom to 5 and loving it!

Well, he can ask but you don't have to wean regardless...

I've been using a lactation aid for 7 mos now, which is why I suggested it or at least feel comfortable bringing it up since I do know about long-term use. But if the bottle isn't causing problems and you're happy with it then maybe it's not worth it for you.
    Nursed my sweet daughter 3 years, 3 mos.

Yay! We are not weaning!!! The new pediatrician totally supports my decision. She's testing for everything under the sun. (We'll spend Monday at the Children's Hospital getting tests). So, if this has a medical cause, then she is with me in thinking that nursing is best for him. If this is purely a feeding problem - baby not getting enough calories, then she says he's old enough that we should focus our efforts on teaching him to eat an adequate amount of solid food.

The Ped has given me some good tips to start with on increasing his solid food intake. She suggested feeding him his meals after he wakes up in the morning and after his naps, and try not to nurse him until after he's eaten a meal. (I don't refuse, just try to get him to eat first). It has really helped. He has probably doubled the amount of solid food that he has eaten. So, maybe that will be all we need to do.

After the test results come back, and if we are right that there is nothing else going on medically, then we will focus on diet. We may even visit a dietitian if his weight isn't coming along the way we want/expect.

It is soooo nice to have doctor who is on our team. I don't have to feel like I am compromising my values to follow her advice. Her advice makes sense to me and seems to be helping.
    MKR

Mom to 5 and loving it!