Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Anything to increase lowered supply after mastitis???

Default Anything to increase lowered supply after mastitis???

Let me just start of by saying this forum and website has been so helpful for me on my breastfeeding journey. We've had quite a few challenges along the way and I seem to have another challenge thrown my way.

Last Monday (so 10 days ago) I was diagnosed with mastitis on BOTH breasts. I had previously had mastitis on one breast about 2 months ago. I was given antibiotics and just finished them today. The symptoms of mastitis are mostly gone now (lumpiness, pain, etc.) but my milk supply has significant decreased. I was a bit of an overproducer before...I could easily pump 7 ounces if pumping in lieu of feeding and could pump about 3 ounces if pumping right after a feeding. Since then, I am pumping about 3 ounces total if pumping in lieu of feeding and not even 1/2 ounce if pumping after a feeding. My baby cries almost every time after a feeding and seems genuinely hungry so I've been topping him off with a few ounces of previously stored breastmilk.

The issue now is that I am done to my last bag of frozen breastmilk. I am not against supplementing with formula but would prefer not to since it seems that we finally just got the hang of this breastfeeding thing!

Here's what I'm doing to increase production:
    -Feeding every 2 hours during the day, about every 3-3.5 hours during the night (8pm-8am). This is a big increase from the every 3 hours a day, every 5 hours at night from before.
    -fenugreek 3 pills, 3x day
    -mother's milk tea 2x day
    -oatmeal in the morning
    -drinking water to stay hydrated
    -I've even tried Guinness but my stomach is a little sensitive now post antibiotics and it gave me indigestion

I would love any tips on what I could do. Will time solve this? Prescription medicine?

Oh, my baby is 5.5 months and a pretty big boy (90% in both weight and height).

Thank you!!!

Default Re: Anything to increase lowered supply after mastitis???

Time will solve this. Most likely the best thing to do is to stop the supplementing and watch the baby's diaper output. As long as diaper output continues to be normal, he's getting enough to eat even if he acts fussy and nurses literally- and I do mean LITERALLY- nonstop. What you'd be doing is what nature intends: to have a hungry baby nurse your supply back to where he wants it to be.

That being said, it does not sound like you have a supply problem at all. The average feeding for a breastfed baby is just 2-4 oz. You can pump 3 when pumping rather than nursing and 1/2 oz after nursing, and that is completely normal output. My guess is that your baby is acting fussy because he got used to milk being easy to come by, which is usually the case when mom has oversupply. Now that the oversupply is gone, he has to work harder for his meals. This is a learning opportunity for him, and you want him to take it. If you manage this with drugs, pumping, or herbs, he's going to miss out on a vital learning experience and you could get stuck with oversupply again- which puts you at greater risk for plugs and mastitis.

Are you back to work, or staying home with your baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks. I'll keep persisting. He seems to have the same amount of wet diapers (hard to say for sure since I stopped recording this).

I think you're right that my baby has gotten used to my milk just flowing into his mouth without him putting in much effort at all!

I work part time so only pump during the day a few days a week. When I'm home with the baby I nurse and don't use any expressed milk.

By the way I am going through the same situation. Baby is a bit older than 5 months and I got a decreased supply for some reason (no idea what caused it) and I just wanted to tell you that I understand what you're going through! As mommal said, as long as diaper output is fine your baby IS getting enough to eat. I'm pumping now about 2-2.5 oz. instead of my usual 4.5-5.5. Of course that's bugging me like crazy. At least you know you had mastitis so the decreased output can be blamed on something

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*flutey16 View Post
    I work part time so only pump during the day a few days a week. When I'm home with the baby I nurse and don't use any expressed milk.
    Okay, excellent! If you were working full time I would have adjusted my advice a bit and suggested that in addition to nursing more you throw in some extra pump sessions during the work day. But with part-time work you're probably fine to just nurse, nurse, nurse. Although a few extra pump sessions at work definitely won't hurt, if you can make them happen.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

I think you are doing all the right things...just keep at it. With my first baby I had low milk supply issues and nothing seemed to help. With the second baby, I had oversupply and had plugged ducts and mastitis many times. TRUST ME oversupply is a bigger problem than low milk supply. It is a blessing in disguise.