Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Engorged while taming OS, OUCH Please help :(

Default Engorged while taming OS, OUCH Please help :(

I have a tendency to produce quite a lot of milk. I didn't know until recently that too much of a good thing is bad. With my son I would pump out 16 ozs total each feeding. I pumped mainly with him b/c I had a hard time getting him latched. Now with my new baby I am a bit wiser and nursing is going better. After a host of problems that is. I've had mastitis and clogged ducts since she was born 11 weeks ago. I also had to go back to work way too soon (3 weeks postpartum). So I power pumped so I could have enough supply to feed her while at my moms. She also had a tongue tie that took two different doctors to fix. Nursing is going so much better and we are finally in a groove. What I didn't know is that me making large quanities of milk is bad for me and her. She is super gassy, sometimes has explosive green poo and I have OLAD, which you can tell she gets annoyed at the force of my let down. I still get a plugged duct here and there, but not as bad as the beginning and my nipples aren't as sore. But while I'm trying to tame my supply, I'm extremely engorged and in pain. I'm currently block feeding and trying to not pump as much while at work. And I'm trying to stay away from pumping at night and on the weekends also. Is it bad for me to pump a little to help relieve the pressure? And how long will this last before I start feeling ok again? I'm worried I'll get mastitis again b/c I'm THAT engorged. What can I do to prevent that?

Default Re: Engorged while taming OS, OUCH Please help :(

Welcome to the forum!

Managing oversupply is more of an art than a science. You want to go by feel rather than by the clock. So if you're at work and you're feeling uncomfortable, it's okay to pump, or preferably hand express, as that is supposed to be less stimulating to supply. You want to remove just enough milk to restore your comfort, rather than thoroughly draining the breast. The benefit of taking out a small amount of milk is that you maintain your comfort, you keep milk flowing through the breast (which is good for keeping mastitis and plugs at bay), and you leave the breast full enough that your body continues to get the message that it is overproducing, and it should therefore eventually throttle back on supply.

If you're wondering what "eventually" means, unfortunately there is no way to say. Some moms will find that their milk supply will adjust literally overnight. For other moms, it could take days, weeks, or even months. If your oversupply is persistent, try to be patient with your body and remember that a little oversupply can be a good thing, when mom is at work and needs to fill bottles. Oversupply now might not be such a bad thing if it means less trouble bringing back pumped milk at 8 or 9 months, when a lot of working moms hit a "pump slump".

One thing you really shouldn't worry about is the green, explosive poops and the gas. They are an annoyance, not a health problem, and well worth it as the price of being an exclusively breastfed baby.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ty for replying so quick. I was worried that all the foremilk she was getting and causing her belly aches and gas were going to be a health issue. I guess I'm going about it the right way. I didn't want to get too aggressive with it so I don't go the opposite and dry up. On a different note....I had no idea there is usually a 'pump slump'. I guess I'll be back here later on crying about that too lol. Maybe I'll research that early on so I'm prepared.

Personally I wouldn't worry about a pump slump at this point. As mommal says, one advantage of oversupply (which is something I'm very familiar with!) is that you're less likely to struggle with keeping up with pumping at work, hitting a pump slump, etc. Also as mommal says it is not harmful for your baby. The main thing is to prevent the plugged ducts and mastitis. If you do have a plugged duct, you want to make sure you drain the breast as best you can, preferably by nursing but by pumping if you are at work. Once that's taken care you can work on the oversupply. For engorgement, putting cabbage leaves on your breasts can help. But again you don't want to overdo it because it can dry you up.

Here are some more resources:
    plugged ducts, mastitis:
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...plugsblebs.pdf
    http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/mother/mastitis/

laid-back nursing to help your LO deal with fast flow (also rest assured that babies become more adept at dealing with fast flow over time):
    http://www.llli.org/docs/00000000000...astfeeding.pdf
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...stfeeding.html

tips on block feeding:
    http://www.nancymohrbacher.com/blog/...dos-donts.html