Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Going away for a weekend without LO

Default Going away for a weekend without LO

Hi

I am thinking of going away in May for a work conference. I will be away from home from Friday morning until late Sunday night. DD will be 16 months old by then. Currently she nurses on demand, usually morning, late afternoon, bedtime and if she wakes in the night. She manages fine during the days she is at preschool without nursing and I have been able to get her back to sleep sometimes at night without nursing.

My Mum will be coming to stay and look after her as DH is away on Saturday night too. She loves her Nanny so I am not worried there.

I guess I just want some advice on how to plan. Should I think about weaning her? Should we have a practice run? Will she be okay for a whole weekend without nursing?

TIA

Default Re: Going away for a weekend without LO

No need to wean, or have a practice run, which in any case would be hard to do - if you are there LO will want to nurse, but she's old enough to know that when you're not there, neither is the milk! If anything, I think it helps to encourage nursing before you go away. You do want to be prepared to express milk, either by hand or with a pump, if needed while you are away for comfort. I've been on several work trips since my LO turned one (she is now two), and I've pumped twice a day, but it differs from mom to mom, so you can see how you feel. My experience is that LO is always very excited to nurse the minute I get back and it's a lovely way to reconnect!

with the PP's excellent advice!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your advice. I'm just a bit nervous I guess... it is the first time I will have left her for longer than a few hours.

That's totally understandable. Sometimes it's less anxiety-producing for a mom to take her baby and caregiver with her- they can hang out at the hotel or something. Is that possible for you?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Oh, it is totally nerve-wracking! One time I did do what mommal suggests, took my baby and my mom with me, and it worked out really well. But that was when my baby was an infant and was still nursing round-the-clock. And it was in a nice city where my mom could take baby for walks and enjoy the scenery - if it was in a not-so-great place where she would be cooped up in a hotel room all day I think it would have been harder.

Thanks... It depends on if there is a group of us from work that all go together in a work car and stay in a motel/hotel together. If it was just me then that is exactly what I would do. Still have a few weeks before I have to think about it too much!