Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Thrush/milk supply

Default Thrush/milk supply

So I have researched everywhere on this but I can't find an answer anywhere.

At my 2 week postpartum check yesterday, my OB told me that I have a mild case of thrush and prescribed me oral nystatin to put on my nipples so that way baby would also get it (he has no symptoms of it so ped didn't prescribe). I started the treatment yesterday afternoon.

Nursing isn't unbearable so I'm still nursing him on both sides. However, my breasts feel extremely empty now. Can thrush cause a decrease if I am still nursing?

Default Re: Thrush/milk supply

I've never read anything about thrush in and of itself causing low supply - only if you're nursing less due to pain, I would think. Is baby having enough wet and poopy diapers? You can't rely on the feel of your breasts alone for an accurate picture of milk supply. Output and weight gain are the best indicators.

As for the thrush, how did your doc diagnose? Was it just based on the pain you were having? have you read Dr. Newman's page on thrush? If the nystatin doesn't relieve your symptoms, you may need a course of oral diflucan (and not just one dose as for a vaginal yeast infection!). I also found that taking a probiotic, and giving a little bit of the powder to my LO was very helpful. http://www.breastfeedinginc.ca/conte...agename=doc-CP

Default Re: Thrush/milk supply

with the PP. Nursing less due to discomfort would be the pathway from thrush to lower supply. But feeling "empty" doesn't mean low supply. Most women start out making more milk than their babies require. It's nature's way of making sure that the newborn gets enough to eat wile mastering the art of breastfeeding. When you're making more milk than your baby needs, you're likely to feel full or engorged pretty often. But as time goes on, mom's body will "read" baby's demand and respond by making just the right amount of milk for the baby's needs. Once that adjustment happens, feelings of fullness or engorgement will decrease or even vanish. This is why the best way to assess milk supply is to watch the baby's diaper output and weight gain. As long as that is normal, so is supply and the baby's intake.

I would call the pediatrician again and ask for treatment for the baby. Both members of the nursing pair should be treated even if one is asymptomatic. Otherwise you're likely to bounce it back and forth.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"