Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Drastic drop in supply for no apparent reason!!!

Default Re: Drastic drop in supply for no apparent reason!!!

Hello,

I have no expert advice but would like you to know I went through a similar thing a couple weeks ago. My pumping output was totally normal one week and my baby seemed satisfied over the weekend, but when I returned to work on a Monday I was pumping about half of what I normally could pump. My DS was a little over 8 months at the time. I attribute my sudden drop to a couple things: 1. I had a HORRIBLE head cold including an ear infection, 2. due to this I had ZERO appetite and was eating quite a bit less than normal. Also, maybe I just randomly had a slump in supply, I'm not sure.

Slowly it is coming back, and even about 3 weeks later I am not back to my "normal" production. This is what I did: 1. let baby nurse as much as possible. I could tell my supply really was down and it was not just the pump because DS was nursing constantly and a lot overnight too. 2. I went to my local hospital and rented a hospital grade pump. I was also using the Ameda PY pump and I HATED it. Like Mommal says above I also felt it was underpowered, but since my output was always more than baby drank I figured why spend the money for something else. I am still renting the pump from the hospital and will continue to do so until DS is at least a year (only 3 more months).

Keep nursing and pumping (when away from LO) as much as you can. I would def. add in a 3rd session at work. Trust me, I know how inconvenient pumping is at work. I pump three times during an 8 hour shift. I hope some of that helped.

Many moms find upping their calcium and magnesium intake while ovulating helps with the related supply dips. Never a bad thing to have enough of those minerals anyway. I use magnesium chloride in oil and bath salt forms as it absorbs better externally than orally.

Just wanted to update with something I figured out. Every month I'm having these supply slumps and I realized that it may be hormonal changes. It's as if I'm having a period, but there's no menstruation. I get the drops in supply, though. It's interesting because it really happens each month. I'll have a sudden and extreme drop for about 4-5 days and then it's as if it never happened. I don't even try to up my supply with any methods other than trying to nurse a little more often, because I know it comes back on its own. It's weird!

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.

Are you on any type of birth control? For example the mirena does not stop ovulation and the monthly hormonal cycle, but does decrease how much you bleed with your period, and in some women it stops bleeding altogether. It's used in women who have excess uterine bleeding for that reason.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    Are you on any type of birth control? For example the mirena does not stop ovulation and the monthly hormonal cycle, but does decrease how much you bleed with your period, and in some women it stops bleeding altogether. It's used in women who have excess uterine bleeding for that reason.
    I am on the minipill.

Mom to Samuel J.
    born 7lb. 10 oz. and 22" tall
    on Saturday, October 19, 2013.