Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Drastic drop in supply for no apparent reason!!!

Default Re: Drastic drop in supply for no apparent reason!!!

Have you changed out the valves on your pump recently (those little white rubbery things that attach to the bottom)? I know I had to change mine a lot on the APY. I didn't have any problems with my pump overall -- I thought it worked really well. But those things had to be changed a lot. You might find that adding in another session for a week or two might be enough to boost your totals overall. My supply was not always consistent, and it can get very stressful to not feel like you have enough of your LO.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*filmmommy View Post
    Have you changed out the valves on your pump recently (those little white rubbery things that attach to the bottom)? I know I had to change mine a lot on the APY. I didn't have any problems with my pump overall -- I thought it worked really well. But those things had to be changed a lot. You might find that adding in another session for a week or two might be enough to boost your totals overall. My supply was not always consistent, and it can get very stressful to not feel like you have enough of your LO.
    I changed it about a month and a half ago only because the insides looked mucky - no tears though. I checked them yesterday and they seem to be fine. How do you know when it has to be changed?

Thanks for the reassurance. My supply is very not constant. I often have ups and downs but never this bad of a low. Ok, off to pump!

I think they just stretch a bit over time. I tried to keep a stash in my bag and would change them fairly regularly -- once every month or so. I don't think they have to be torn to lose a little bit of suction. It might not help that much, but worth a shot.
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Ok, now we're on day 3 of severely low pumping output (with both my home and work pumps, and parts have been replaced). Baby doesn't show signs of being hungry or anything when we're home together. I just let him nurse for longer. He seems content and happy and has wet diapers. So I'm not concerned about him being hungry, but I'm VERY concerned about me! My friend said it could be return of a period, but I haven't had any since last year yet so I wouldn't know! Does it make sense to have such a severe drop from one day to the next - as I said, Sunday was fine. Monday was not fine. Also how many days of low supply before the onset of the period? I HOPE it's not that. I thought that an increase would be apparent already by now since it's more than 48 hours since I've upped my pumping/nursing efforts/drinking more water, etc.

I know my picky son will not take formula so I'm not even thinking of that as an option.

It is going to take a bit of time to see a response if you've only just increased your pumping frequency--probably longer than 48 hours! You just need to keep telling your body that there is this increased demand, and eventually things should pick back up. How short are you coming up with pumping right now?

It could definitely be a sign of impending return of your cycles. Every mom is a little bit different, but when my cycles first returned, my pumping output was usually lower throughout the entire work week surrounding the onset of my period.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*sonogirl View Post
    It is going to take a bit of time to see a response if you've only just increased your pumping frequency--probably longer than 48 hours! You just need to keep telling your body that there is this increased demand, and eventually things should pick back up. How short are you coming up with pumping right now?

It could definitely be a sign of impending return of your cycles. Every mom is a little bit different, but when my cycles first returned, my pumping output was usually lower throughout the entire work week surrounding the onset of my period.
    Today at work I was only able to pump 2 times instead of 3 so I got 2.75 and 3.25, 6 in total. I need about 8 for the baby, though I usually pump 9-10. Yesterday I pumped 3 times and got 2.75, 2.5 and 2.25 - totalling 7.5. I can pump later at night to make up.

I bought a manual pump today so I can use it for a few minutes after nursing my baby - a lot more convenient than lugging out the double electric pump and cleaning all the parts afterwards.

48 hours isn't enough, particularly because you are using a relatively lightweight pump. Be persistent, be patient, and stay alert for incremental increases.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Ok that's some hope then. I thought if I didn't get a substantial increase by now, all is lost. Is there such a thing as permanent sudden milk absence?!

Only when there is some physical explanation for the low supply. Like pregnancy, or use of breastfeeding-unfriendly hormonal contraceptives or other medications, or medical problems like retained placenta or thyroid dysfunction. Most moms who "lose" their milk supplies do so through failures of breastfeeding management, which usually boil down to not removing milk frequently enough or completely enough.

This article is really helpful for understanding the fine points of milk production: http://www.dhss.delaware.gov/dph/chs...number2011.pdf
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Happy to report that I feel like I got my milk back! I didn't pump since Friday at work so I don't know what a missed feed pumping session would be like, but I hear a lot more swallowing during feedings, plus my boobs don't feel so emptyish when I squeeze them. Whew!!! I think this was hormonal because it was also accompanied by EWCM which I didn't see in a while. Also, weirdly enough, the last few times I was nursing, I feel my uterus contracting like it did when I nursed postpartum. It's so weird!