Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Drastic drop in supply for no apparent reason!!!

Unhappy Drastic drop in supply for no apparent reason!!!

My baby's 5 months old and I always have these ups and downs with output. Sometimes I'll feel fuller than usual, sometimes emptier. But it all goes. I pump twice at work during workdays. I get about 5 the first time and about 4.5 the second. Yesterday I got 3.5 at each! Today I got 2.5 at the first and I added in another session and got 1.75 at each. That's nuts! It's not enough for my baby who eats about 8 ounces. I have frozen stash, but still. Why did this happen? I am not pregnant, no AF in sight, nothing else I can think of, except that baby did have a stomach virus last week Thursday and ate very little, and also not too much over the weekend. But still, to have such a steep drop practically overnight? Is that normal? I'm drinking tons today and did throw in an extra pumping session. I know that pumping output is not a reliable indicator and all that but I also barely feel the letdown (I always feel it) and my boobs feel empty. I also hear much less sucking while baby nurses. I'm so scared.

Default Re: Drastic drop in supply for no apparent reason!!!

do you think it could be tied to taking the lecithin in some way?

I'm sure the other mamas will have more in depth advice, but is it not true that most lactating women need to pump every 3 hours away for baby in order to maintain supply? If your working an 8 hour day, 2 sessions is not enough. You need to pump at least 3 times.

Also, is your baby nursing overnight? Night nursing is really important to a working mama's supply.

This site has good info about increasing supply/ pump output for working moms:
    http://www.workandpump.com/supply.htm

I think the first thing to try is to add in another pump session. What sort of pump are you using?

Pumps are great because they give nursing moms the freedom to work or whatever without having to give up breastfeeding. But pumps are not as good as babies are at maintaining a mom's supply. And most working moms are not able to pump as often as their babies would nurse, if they were home with their babies. So when a pumping mom finds that her output is slumping, the first thing to try is to add some more sessions in. During the workday if possible, after nursing when home with baby if not.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*usafreat View Post
    do you think it could be tied to taking the lecithin in some way?
    Nope because I just started the lecithin last night and yesterday in the morning I already saw a decreased output.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*safitu View Post
    I'm sure the other mamas will have more in depth advice, but is it not true that most lactating women need to pump every 3 hours away for baby in order to maintain supply? If your working an 8 hour day, 2 sessions is not enough. You need to pump at least 3 times.

Also, is your baby nursing overnight? Night nursing is really important to a working mama's supply.

This site has good info about increasing supply/ pump output for working moms:
    http://www.workandpump.com/supply.htm
    I'm sure that two pumping sessions at work is an ok number for me. I nurse at 9:30. Pump at 12, then at 3:30 and then come home to nurse at 6pm. I wouldn't really do it much differently had I been home to nurse during those hours.

Yes, my baby nurses overnight. I feed him between 9-10pm, then at 12 I do a dreamfeed because I go to bed around then. Then he's usually going to wake up another 2 times before his 9:30am pump.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    I think the first thing to try is to add in another pump session. What sort of pump are you using?

Pumps are great because they give nursing moms the freedom to work or whatever without having to give up breastfeeding. But pumps are not as good as babies are at maintaining a mom's supply. And most working moms are not able to pump as often as their babies would nurse, if they were home with their babies. So when a pumping mom finds that her output is slumping, the first thing to try is to add some more sessions in. During the workday if possible, after nursing when home with baby if not.
    I use an Ameda Purely Yours. Never had a problem with it at all - and I've been using it for over 3 months. So today I felt really empty so I added another pumping session in - I pumped at 11:30, 1:30 and 3:30. Tomorrow I'll try to do the same.

Okay, so I am not a huge fan of the APY. I used one and found it to be underpowered. How about moving up to a better machine- e.g. Hygeia Enjoye or Medela Pump in Style- in addition to adding another pumping session? Would that be possible for you? I think it's worth considering because you have at least 7 more months of pumping to go... Investing in a better machine Now might be the difference between sailing through those 7 months and struggling through them.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*ruchiccio View Post
    I'm sure that two pumping sessions at work is an ok number for me. I nurse at 9:30. Pump at 12, then at 3:30 and then come home to nurse at 6pm. I wouldn't really do it much differently had I been home to nurse during those hours.
    Well...how can you be sure that two is still enough? Pumps are not as efficient as a well nursing baby is, so it's entirely possible you need to pump more frequently. So even though baby might nurse the same number of times at home, you might need to use the pump more than your baby would otherwise be nursing. Over time, especially, it is common for moms to experience somewhat diminishing pump outputs. So while two pump sessions may have yielded you what you needed when you first returned to work, it is pretty common to need to add sessions in after a period of time. (I personally had to pump FOUR times a day at work to yield what I needed! I know it's hard, believe me.)
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Well for the last 3 months two pumping sessions were fine for me. I always got more than what my baby drank. I can't imagine it's a pump-related problem since it did fine for me all this time. I think the pump is more efficient at milk removal than my baby because he's not the best nurser (he has a slight tongue-tie which we are getting evaluated on Monday).