Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 2 years

Default 2 years

I'm happy to nurse my toddler who is turning two! I am asked when I plan to quit, but am not sure when she might self wean. Dd asks for nursies all the time, when I'm not working. Mil asks and dh - instead of asking like usual, tells dd you're too old for that. I don't know how to wean, or when it's best done and how to protect dd from mixed messages. Thanks for your support and advice!

Default Re: 2 years

There's no reason to wean until you and your daughter are ready. The WHO recommends nursing until AT LEAST 2. Breastmilk is still playing a huge role in developing her immune system, providing the necessary fats needed for her little brain, and filling in the gaps with toddlers naturally picky appetites. The longer you nurse, The better protection you'll get from developing cancer.
    My husband fussed a little at two years and made one you're too old comment. I told him it was completely unacceptable to talk to our son that way. I would be perfectly happy to discuss his reasons for weaning with our son not present but I've done a lot of research and it all points to good things from toddler nursing. Yes, I understand society doesn't like full term nursing and you've been getting negative feed back from relatives/friends. I don't care about their opinion. Do your own research and find me evidence this is harmful, dear.
    He backed down very quickly as he knows he can't debate with me on a subject I'm so passionate about. He also spent some time around other toddlers my son 's age who had been raised very differently than our son but still acted just as clingy and mom- centric. That calmed some of his fears that it was caused by nursing.
    If you like reading, try Mothering Your Nursing Toddler or How Weaning Happens. Both are available through the llli store and Amazon. Or if you have a local LLL group, they may have a library with those books that you can borrow. A local meeting is a great way for you to find support as well.

with everything the PP wrote. Tell your DH and MIL that the negative comments stop YESTERDAY.

I just want to point out that you are already in the process of weaning. Weaning starts as soon as you start giving your baby solid food. After that, it's a long, slow transition from being 100% breastfed to being 100% on solid foods. Baby is going to gradually drop nursing sessions. If you're thinking "But she nurses all the time!", remind yourself that there will be upticks in demand when your baby is going through a new developmental stage or getting a tooth, and that what really matters is the general trend. I bet your LO is nursing a lot less now than she did at 6 months, or 12 months, or 18 months. If you do nothing, she will eventually drop all her sessions and self-wean. But don't expect it to happen at age 2! Kids who are allowed to set the time of their own weaning tend to wean later- for example, my kids self-weaned at age 3, and a lot of moms hear have kids who went to age 4. Don't worry about the future, though- if you're enjoying nursing right now, focus on that. If you get to a point where you're ready for a change, then start cutting back.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you for the great advice!