Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Pump Maintenance

Default Pump Maintenance

Hi All,

I was just wondering what the recommendations are for keeping up the maintenance on pump parts. Is it just the flap in the flange and the membrane that attaches to the pump that need to be changed? Or do the tubing, shields, and containers need to be changed out too? I pump three times a day, five days a week, and am using a Medela Symphony. Also, how often do these pieces need to be changed?

Thank you!

Default Re: Pump Maintenance

I think maintaining the diaphragm is the most basic maintenance you can do. But if you suddenly find that your output is slipping, it's a good idea to change the tubing and shields (especially if you feel like you now require a different size). I don't think it matter what containers you use.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Is the diaphragm the part that connects the tubing to the pump? How often should it be changed? And how often should the little flap inside the flange be replaced? I read they can get small holes in then from normal wear.

The thing you replace most frequently is the flaps. Different moms replace the flaps at different rates - some moms every month, some moms only if they notice it's taking them longer to get the same amount at the pump or if they see a drop in output, and some moms may be between those two - every two to three months for example. Definitely if you are seeing a difference in pumping change them out. The next step is to consider changing the flanges and valves. I've personally never changed out the tubing.