Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Concerns about pumping

Default Concerns about pumping

I spoke with a lactation consultant about increasing my breast supply (the night feedings didn't seem to satisfy my LO). She suggested pumping 10/15 minutes after my evening feeding. I did this for a few days and it seemed to help. Now I want to start pumping to have a backup supply for when we take her out. I have read that I should pump during the morning when my supply is highest, but I'm worried that this will take away from my evening supply which has lagged in the past. Any suggestions?

Default Re: Concerns about pumping

Welcome to the forum!

Can you tell us a bit more about your situation? It would help to know how old your baby is, and why- aside from the baby not seeming satisfied in the evenings, that is- you suspected low supply. Also, what is your intent when you're out and about? Do you want to use the bottle in public? If so, how long are you thinking of being out? And would you like some tips on nursing in public?

The great thing about milk supply is that more stimulation from nursing or pumping = more milk. Pumping in the morning won't "steal" milk from the the rest of the day. It will just boost your overall production.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sure! My little one is 2 months, at her checkup today she was 10lbs. She is exclusively breast fed. She averages 8 minutes each breast at each feeding. The reason i think she isnt getting enough is, during the day for each suck there is a following swallow, at night its maybe five or ten sucks, one swallow and then she seems to get aggravated. The past few days its been good, but i also havent been pumping. I'm nervous that pumping will take us back to where we were. Yes, i want to use the bottle in public also, if I go out alone, then a bottle for my husband to feed her. Presently I don't anticipate needing more than 1 bottle per outting, (dinner/grocery shopping, etc.), any more I would probably find a place to breast feed. I'm OK on feeding in public, we are fairly conservative so prefer to not, but if I can find a ladies room with a chair, that's good enough for me.
    Last edited by @llli*fmohamme; March 18th, 2014 at 09:26 PM.

Oh, one other thing, at the end of the day my breast just feels empty, literally like its been drained.

Sorry for the slow reply, mama. Life intervened.

Okay, so it's okay to feel empty and drained. Feeling empty and drained doesn't mean there's no milk. In fact, when supply and demand are well-matched, it's typical to feel empty pretty much all the time, except perhaps if the baby skips several feedings in a row.

How are things going now?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"