Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning 21-month-old

Default Weaning 21-month-old

And it is a nightmare. It is one of the worst things I have ever been through in my life.

A bit of background. We could not latch at all except in a very certain position in the hospital that I could not replicate at home until she was about four months old (My breasts were huge, huge. We're talking H-J cup depending on the time of day etc) so I pumped the first 4 months and she was bottle fed. Then she grew enough to be able to latch and away we went. So she dropped bottles and now won't even take pumped breast milk out of a sippy cup (though she drinks everything else from them)

Now I have to go on topamax because I'm having severe, debilitating migraines. To put it in perspective, it's the seventeenth of March and I haven't had a pain free day since before American Thanksgiving in November.

She nurses in the morning, before two naps, and at bedtime. There is an occasional night nurse in there.

So I started by cutting out the napping feeds and she switched herself to taking one long nap in the afternoon after fussing about for about an hour...

Only now she's staying up, waking all night long to feed and I'm getting even less sleep which is making my migraines even worse. Today, I just let her nurse normally because I have to have some sleep tonight. I offer her all sorts of foods, water, watered down juice and cow's milk. Well she HATES cow's milk. I even bought her some of those pedia-sure type drinks and she won't take those either.

I'm already at my wits end with this. The only light in the tunnel is that I have a sleep study this Friday, if I have sleep apnea, they think it may be a major cause. If a c-pap fixes things, I wouldn't have to go on the medicine at all and don't have to wean. But if that doesn't happen, I can't live like this. Help?

Default Re: Weaning 21-month-old

So sorry you're going through this, mama! I don't have any information to offer about weaning, but I'm wondering if you've contacted infantrisk at all about breastfeeding while taking Topamax? Here's a thread from their website http://www.infantrisk.com/forum/show...breast-feeding that might interest you. Especially since you're nursing a toddler, it might be reasonable to continue nursing and taking your pill at a strategic time - hopefully they could help you figure that out. It sounds like neither of you are really ready to wean! Good luck with the sleep test, hopefully the c-pap is all you need to help the pain!

Oh my god, thank you. I looked there in a zombified state and could not find that. I'm going to give them a call today for sure because I don't want to stop nursing and neither does she.

I called before I finished typing and at first she misunderstood and thought I had a one month old- But at 21 months she said they felt the risk to her was very low (and like in the thread) that sedation seemed to be the biggest risk. This makes me feel much, much better. And it looks like with her feeds I should be able to schedule taking it around her heavy feeds and when the concentration is heaviest.

I started out hoping to make it to six months breast feeding with her. Ha!

I'm glad I was able to help, and that it looks like you might be able to still nurse while taking the meds you need to feel well! Isn't it funny how your nursing expectations change over time? I remember thinking at the beginning that six months seemed like such a long time to be the sole source of nutrition for this other being, and now we're still going at 19 months. Amazing, lol.

Mama, totally unrelated to your question, but have you been evaluated for a cerebrospinal fluid leak? Your situation- months and months of unrelenting headaches- reminds me very keenly of what happened to one of my friends. She had a spontaneous CSF leak following the birth of her first child, and suffered 10 months of agonizing headaches which were variously misdiagnosed as postpartum depression, migraines, her being a hypochondriac...

Wikipedia's page on CSF leaks: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spontan...nal_fluid_leak
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Mama, totally unrelated to your question, but have you been evaluated for a cerebrospinal fluid leak?
    I have not- Not openly anyhow.

I've had a CSF leak due to a botched spinal tap before (I had every darn sign of Meningitis you can think of, turned out to be a simple virus... but anyhow) and it was so much worse than this has been. I literally could not sit up without throwing up. I am under the direct care of an on the ball neuro though. So I'll definitely bring it up and see if he thinks it's something we should check out. A random slow leaky thing rather than a hole in my back could definitely take into account the vast difference in pain though.

I've heard great things about Dr. Linda Gray at Duke: http://radiology.duke.edu/faculty/linda-gray-leithe-md/. She's the one who finally figured out my friend's leak.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"