Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Need latch help

Default Need latch help

So I've posted a few times, and my most recent problem is sore nipples. I now think this is due to the one bottle I am giving at night so I can get a little rest. My 12 day old was latching great until a day or two ago...now he is clamping those gums down and not starting out with a wide open mouth. I've tried sticking my finger in his mouth to get him to open before latching but he isn't opening it wide enough. It really hurts for the first 10-15 seconds of nursing but gets better....but the soreness lingers after we are done nursing (like a chafing feeling). Any other ideas on how I can get him back to a wide mouth latch?

Default Re: Need latch help

The problem seems to have corrected itself for now...at least during this current feeding.

Okay, so you know that my first suggestion is going to be to shelve the bottles. Just for the next few weeks. Let the baby have a chance to learn how to latch and nurse perfectly before introducing an artificial nipple into the breastfeeding equation.

I know you're having issues with sleep deprivation- believe me, I have been through 2 kids so I KNOW! If a bottle is the only way you feel you can make it through, here are some things to do that can make bottles less likely to screw up your baby's latch:
    - When it is time to give the bottle, cuddle the baby close to your bare chest (or dad's). Baby should be learning that feeding is something done in close proximity to bare skin.
    - Tickle the baby's lips with the bottle nipple until he opens WIDE. Don't let him develop sloppy latch habits from having a bottle nipple slipped into a half-open mouth.
    - Open your own mouth wide when trying to get baby to latch. (This applies to both bottle-feeding and nursing.) Babies will sometimes mimic mom's facial movements, even at the youngest ages.
    - Hold the baby somewhat upright while he's getting the bottle. You want him to be working to suck the milk out, rather than having it drip into him with the assistance of gravity.
    - Switch the baby from side to side half-way through the feeding, as you would when swapping breasts.
    - Pause the feeding after every oz or so of milk, to keep the baby accustomed to the slowdowns in flow that are inherent to breastfeeding.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thank you! I am asleep during bottle time so I will tell dad to try these...if I decide to stay with the one bottle feeding.