Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Nursing Strike?

Default Nursing Strike?

Ok, I'm in tears as I write this. I have no idea what I am dealing with and to say I'm frustrated is an understatement.

My son is 2 weeks old. He had poor latch issues at the beginning but we fixed it and have had 6 days of good nursing. Starting yesterday, it was taking forever to get him to latch (30 mins) but he'd eventually do it. He nursed for 3 hours bc he kept pulling off once he had a decent latch. I figured we were starting a cluster feeding period since he should be getting his 1st growth spurt.

This morning, I cant get him to latch, just scream. He'll go through the motions but won't latch. After 1-1/2 of both of us crying, my husband came out and gave him a bottle bc he needed to eat. I'm at my wits end. I feel extremely defeated. I do not want him to be bottle fed but don't want him to starve.

What am I dealing with?

Default Re: Nursing Strike?

Welcome to the forum!

This sounds like a nursing strike, and it's really tough when a very young baby is striking because they are just so tiny and you really can't wait too long to feed them.

This link covers strikes and what to do about them: http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/. The skin-to-skin and instant reward techniques mentioned in the link are especially useful. You also want to try latching your baby on before he's really hungry. Some babies escalate very quickly from being calm and just a bit hungry to being frantic and starvingly hungry. Catch your baby in the calm zone and he should latch more readily.

Has baby been getting a lot of bottles?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Today is the first day he has received any bottles and has had 2. Every 1/2 oz I attempted to transition to breast and it was a no go. He isn't even that fond of the bottle either.

Any chance of an ear infection or other discomfort? With a baby this young who hasn't had any bottles until today, I think it makes sense to see the doctor. I mean, maybe this is just fussiness, but I'd want to check.

Can you get in the bath with him? A nice, warm, relaxing bath in a dark room might encourage him to latch. And if the discomfort is intestinal, a bath can help soothe it. (You might get pooped on, but that's a small price to pay, IMO.) Also, in the bath, take the time to look at his fingers, toes, and penis- he could have a hair wrapped painfully around one of those things.

Finally, when he won't latch, you might want to try offering him your pinky finger, with nail held down towards the tongue. Sometimes a few seconds of sucking on a finger can remind baby that screaming isn't enough to get his needs met- it's sucking that really soothes.

I am so sorry, mama! You must be having a very difficult day.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"