Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 4 month old pulls off one breast constantly (not content)

Default 4 month old pulls off one breast constantly (not content)

My 4 month old just started pulling off my left breast after few minutes sucking on it. I know she is not finished because the breast still seems full and she is not happy so I put her on another breast. This has been going on for a few days now. Can I have a plugged duct? I am afraid this will give me mastitis so I pump the breast when I can but not after each feeding. I read it could be anything - milk for too fast or too slow, etc. but that doesn't help me figure out what's up (I have had low supply issues for some time now but she pulls off even when I have enough milk).

Default Re: 4 month old pulls off one breast constantly (not content

I've had quite a few plugged ducts, and in my experience they affect how mom feels but don't change at all how baby nurses.

Since she's happy on the other breast, is there any chance she could have an ear infection and it hurts to lay on one side? Maybe try feeding her on the left while holding her football style under your arm so she's laying the same way as when she nurses on the right. Sometimes babies just prefer one breast, but if the position change makes her happier on the left I would go see a doc about a possible ear infection. Hope that helps!

It could also be simple preference. "I like the way this breast works. The other one, not so much. So I'll pull off in hopes that mom gives me my fave!" It may help to have baby in the same position for both breasts, as the PP suggested.

Are you supplementing with bottles at all?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Yeah I supplement with bottle sometimes. I don't want my milk supply to go down in one breast so I guess I just have to pump. I tried changing positions to football hold but it didn't help.

In that case, what would you say to taking the bottles away, temporarily? Is that possible for you? Maybe with the bottle out of the picture, the baby would be encouraged to adopt better latching and nursing habits.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"