Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Plugged ducts one after the other

Default Plugged ducts one after the other

My baby is 5 months old. He isn't the best latcher, mainly due to tongue-tie issues. We only have an appointment with an ENT on March 24th so hopefully we'll be a lot smarter afterwards, and maybe the problem will be solved.

From the beginning I'd get clogged ducts occasionally. Always in the same place (inner edge of the left breast where it touches the right breast). They would be pretty painful but with a lot of massaging it would resolve itself in a day or two.

Lately my breasts are feeling softer more of the time and I don't get those kind of clogged ducts anymore. Instead I have a new type. I'd see my baby isn't nursing so well on one side (any breast) and it might even be a bit uncomfortable when he sucks, so when I'd remove him, I'd see a tiny white dot on the nipple. Or I'd feel pain on the top of my chest, above the breast and also see that small white dot on the nipple.

In either case, I'd use sterilized needle and gently lift it upwards and a small white "plug" would pop out. Then when hand expressing, milk would flow nicely from that duct. The milk might even look yellowish and oily. If it happens on a workday I'd see fattiness in the milk when I pump. (If nursing I can't see what comes out).

This kind of plugged duct doesn't cause too much pain and is gone once I treat it with the needle and hand express what was inside (or if baby nurses right after). They don't get red or too hard or anything bad like the plugged ducts I used to get. So they don't bother me too much but why does it keep coming back? This type happens on right and left breasts and from the top ducts (not inner sides).

I don't think it's being caused by a problematic latch, though, because he eats efficiently now (just a few minutes and he's done). I tend to think it's the quality of the milk, that it's just too thick.

I bought lecithin but the kind I got came with bee pollen and I started coughing and tearing when I took it so maybe I'm allergic to the pollen. I hope to get a new one today that doesn't have it. Can the lecithin really help?

Default Re: Plugged ducts one after the other

Taking lecithin really helped me when I had plugged ducts.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*nathansmum View Post
    Taking lecithin really helped me when I had plugged ducts.
    I just started taking it last night. Hopefully I'll see a difference with it.

Some moms find that lecithin helps. Reducing saturated fats in your diet may also help. I don't know if anyone knows for sure why some moms are prone to these hardened plugs of sticky milk. Just do your best with 'em!
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"