Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Is my 7 month old getting enough?

Default Is my 7 month old getting enough?

My son is 7 months old and ebf. He has never had a drop of formula and I plan on continuing until he is at least one, but am going to let him decide. He has seemed so frustrated at the breast lately. He does get bottles while I'm at work and I am still pumping. He gets 3 four oz bottles a day while I'm at work, eating every 3-4 hours, however this week my supply has been super low, as always happens right before my cycle. He has been pulling off before I feel the letdown happen and sometimes I don't feel a letdown at all anymore, even while pumping. While pumping last week I was only able to express about 2 Ozs total every 3-4 hours. I am usually able to get 4-5 Ozs normally. I have started taking fenugreek hoping it will help.

He is hitting all of his milestones, however he was dx with reflux around 5 months. He has always been very fussy and clingy but he had been ten times worse this past week! And isn't and never has been a cuddly baby! My first son loves kisses and hugs but he won't ever let you cuddle him. I am worried to death.

He is also cutting his two bottom teeth and has not been sleeping at all. He has never sttn but things have gotten worse. He fusses all day and has slept only an hour all day and has done this all week, I am just overall worried about him. Help!
    Last edited by @llli*kdjzw; March 16th, 2014 at 05:24 PM.

Default Re: Is my 7 month old getting enough?

Just trying to bump up your post to see if other mothers will help.
    How is diaper output?
    Have you checked out your pump? Replace any parts?
    Have you tried giving any Tylenol to your baby if they are teething badly?
    Does your baby nurse at night? How often and how long?

Thank you! He does nurse at night but his sleep is so hit or miss usually every 4 hours he nurses at night for about 10-15 mins total. His diapers seem to be less wet than normal but he does have at least 5 wet diapers a day. I actually just bought a brand new pump last week and still having the same issue. Also, it seems as though my supply is lowest the first pump of the day, which is usually about 2.5 hours after I have fed him before leaving for work. Motrin seems to help his teeth but it's been going on 3 weeks of him being super clingy and fussy so I don't like to give it to him too often. We also use teething tablets which help sometimes.

Anyone? I tried feeding him tonight before bed like our usual routine and nothing would come out!!! He would suck for a couple of times and then get frustrated and pull off. I only pumped 8 Ozs total at work today when I normally get 12. I had to give him a bottle before bed and I have never had to do that I'm freaking out. I have been drinking mothers milk tea and taking fenugreek since Friday. Please any advice would've appreciated.

http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/child/back-to-breast/
    http://kellymom.com/bf/pumpingmoms/p...ping_decrease/
    Sorry your post is getting lost! I'll try to help.
    Try supplementing yourself with calcium and magnesium (most take it as a combined oral supplement but magnesium is better absorbed externally so look into magnesium oil or even Epsom salt baths) to help combat monthly supply dips.
    The above links should have some tips for you. A lot of moms see a decrease in output sounds this time but there is a lot you can do to keep your supply up. I can't stay why your baby is overly fussy right now. Certainly teething may be part of it and the pain sometimes causes babies to refuse to nurse or nurse less. I just bought an Amber teething necklace for my son because of his two year molars. I wish I'd gotten it sooner. The difference has been astonishing! Any chance your lo could be sick? My son caught the flu for the first time at nine months and was a wreck for a week. I had no idea what was wrong until i caught it too and felt the body aches. It could also be an ear infection. Another thing is he's at the age for the first round of separation anxiety. You describe him as already a high need baby like my son. That phase was extremely rough on my son. He was beyond clingy and wanted no one but me and occasionally dh. We even had a relative suggest autism
    I'd really focus on squeezing in as many nursing/pumping sessions in as possible if you're really worried about your supply. No supplement is going to work as well as frequent, thorough milk removal.

You didn't mention if baby is eating solids?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*zaynethepain View Post
    I'd really focus on squeezing in as many nursing/pumping sessions in as possible if you're really worried about your supply. No supplement is going to work as well as frequent, thorough milk removal.

If you are having trouble pumping enough to meet baby's needs right now, the best thing you could do would be to add another session at work. So if you are only pumping every 3 or 4 hours, I'm imagining over a normal work day you are only pumping twice? That's definitely on the low side. Even if you can only squeeze in a shorter additional session, that will help.

I'm sure you know that pumping 4-5 oz in a sitting is actually at the high end of normal pumping output for one session. It's also very possible you might just be adjusting down to a more average pumping output at this junction. 2 oz is actually still normal pump output! So the best way to work with this is to increase the frequency of your milk removals.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thanks ladies! He does eat solids 3 times a day. I am pumping 3 times a day at work, I work 9 hour days. My supply seems a little better with tea and fenugreek and increased pumping after he nurses. He has also stopped pulling off the breast. I'm hoping it was just teething

I am still worried about his clingy and fussiness. He cries allllllll day! We can't put him down even though he can crawl. If he sees me or his dad walk away he screams. Sometimes he just screams and arches his back while we are holding him. We are both at a loss at what to do and it's wearing on our relationship, out 5 year old, out household in general.

You could cut back on the solids to get him to nurse more. The doctors I work with have a saying, "under one it's just for fun." He doesn't need solids for nutrition yet.

Any chance it could really be an ear infection?

Otherwise, I have been in the same boat. Like i said my son is very high needs. Until he could walk on his own, most of his day was spent fussing and crying. I know how stressful it is and wish I had some advice but it was something he just outgrew.