Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Weaning from pump

Default Weaning from pump

So, my girls are starting regular milk this weekend and I have a frozen stash and fridge supply in case they don't like it which means that I'm pump weaning.

So far, I've cut down to essentially 3 pumps a day and dropped the overnight session (yes, I pumped overnight for a year!) and I'm just wondering, should I just pump when I get full and just for a few minutes to relieve the pressure or should I stick on a semi-schedule like I had for my actual pumping and just pump for a few minutes at those specific times?

thank you!

Default Re: Weaning from pump

How has the pump weaning gone so far? Have you felt very full, engorged, any issues with plugged ducts? Or did you find it easy to cut back? I think if you were able to easily cut back you could try to pump for comfort as needed. If you've had any problems with being full/engorged etc, then take a more systematic, scheduled approach.

Default Re: Weaning from pump

I woke up very full this morning and had leaked but no plugged ducts (at least not yet.) The rest of the day I haven't felt very full or had any hard spots that felt like they could become plugged ducts and no other leaking. Last night I pumped for a few minutes around 8:45 and then slept all night so I'm not surprised I leaked this morning but generally, I don't leak - in fact - I haven't since we started breastfeeding a year ago.