Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help! Baby is Breast Feeding Fiend!

Default Help! Baby is Breast Feeding Fiend!

My 11 day old was nursing pretty normally (every 2-3 hours) until about 2 days ago. He is now wanting the breast every hour or LESS! He is latching well and going 15 to 30 minutes per breasts and sometimes on each during these frequent feedings so I'm sure he isn't going hungry. Yet, he is becoming extremely fussy when my breast isn't in his mouth and I'm getting sore nipples . He immediately calms when I give him my breast. I don't mind doing this and still just love to look at him and breast feed but it does make it difficult on me. We have been giving him one bottle of milk at night so I can rest (and we put the vitamins prescribed by his pediatrician in that bottle). I am still pumping and freezing portions for the night bottle feedings and he is getting 1.5 oz in a bottle now. He has still needed my breast after this to go back to sleep. Sorry for the long post! I'd appreciate any thoughts, ideas, advice!

Default Re: Help! Baby is Breast Feeding Fiend!

He's probably got a little growth spurt coming. These marathon sessions are tough, but they're short (although they feel like they go forever). With my girls I found they were typically over them within 48 hours. Set up a nursing station for yourself. Laptop, remote for the tv, water, snacks, a book, nursing pillow.... Everything you need so you can just sit and nurse.

I would suggest that you don't bother wearing a bra. Letting the air get at you will help with the tenderness. A lanolin nipple cream will help as well.

Try to leave him on you when he drifts off to sleep. Removing your breast and moving him might be what's waking him. Leaving him on your chest, with your warmth and movement will probably help him nap. You're doing great!
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Sounds normal. It gets easier - this is a temporary phase. Tell yourself you are not allowed to do dishes, cook, laundry, or anything but nurse and sleep until you have slept a total of 8 hours in a 24 hour period- that may not happen for a while, so recruit some help. This is mama and baby time.

Take the time to get a deep latch every time. If his latch slips and it gets painful break the seal with your finger and take him off. He may get mad, but a crying mouth is a wide-open one and you should be able to latch him back on quickly. Try nursing in different positions so he's not always putting pressure on the same part of your nipple. I like coconut oil instead of lanolin but that is a personal choice.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    Sounds normal. It gets easier - this is a temporary phase. Tell yourself you are not allowed to do dishes, cook, laundry, or anything but nurse and sleep until you have slept a total of 8 hours in a 24 hour period- that may not happen for a while, so recruit some help. This is mama and baby time.

Take the time to get a deep latch every time. If his latch slips and it gets painful break the seal with your finger and take him off. He may get mad, but a crying mouth is a wide-open one and you should be able to latch him back on quickly. Try nursing in different positions so he's not always putting pressure on the same part of your nipple. I like coconut oil instead of lanolin but that is a personal choice.
    I've been using coconut oil, too..I use it for a lot of things!

This IS totally normal nursing for a newborn. Nursing every 2-3 hours actually would not be normal nursing behavior for a newborn. The first couple months of baby's life are all about eating and growing - some people call it the "fourth trimester." Also very normal for baby to find comfort at the breast. He's spent the last 9 months inside you in warm fluid listening to your heart beating and your gut gurgling. The closest he can get to that now is being skin-to-skin on your chest drinking warm milk and listening to your heart beat and your belly gurgling! See this link for more info:
    http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/newborn-nursing/

with the PPs.

Can you tell us a but more about the soreness you're experiencing? When does it happen? Is the pain at all itching or burning? Is it stabbing? Do you feel like baby is pinching the nipple as he nurses? How is baby's diaper output and weight gain so far? Can you let us know why your doctor thinks your baby needs vitamins?

One thing that you may want to do right now is to shelve the bottles. It's recommended that moms not introduce the bottle during the first 4-6 weeks of breastfeeding, because bottles can mess with a baby's latching ability and using bottles can screw up milk supply. If you're going to a give a bottle, ideally you would pump at the same time. If you need to give vitamins- which in most cases are unnecessary- you can give them via dropper.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    with the PPs.

Can you tell us a but more about the soreness you're experiencing? When does it happen? Is the pain at all itching or burning? Is it stabbing? Do you feel like baby is pinching the nipple as he nurses? How is baby's diaper output and weight gain so far? Can you let us know why your doctor thinks your baby needs vitamins?

One thing that you may want to do right now is to shelve the bottles. It's recommended that moms not introduce the bottle during the first 4-6 weeks of breastfeeding, because bottles can mess with a baby's latching ability and using bottles can screw up milk supply. If you're going to a give a bottle, ideally you would pump at the same time. If you need to give vitamins- which in most cases are unnecessary- you can give them via dropper.
    He spits the vitamins out via dropper...they are nasty. The soreness is like a sunburn feeling...chapped or chafed. Here are his current feeding times today:
    6:30 20m both breast
    8:30 15m RB
    10:09 21m LB
    12:07 15m RB
    12:25 20m LB
    1:08 15m LB
    1:32 -- currently feeding on right
    So morning times are normal but in the afternoon he has started a feeding frenzy. Yesterday this went on from noon to 11:30 pm. He is latching great and gorging. Sometimes he falls asleep with a mouthful of unswallowed milk.

Baby's diapers are needing changed just about every feeding. Lots of poo diapers. Dr said she just wanted him covered so vitamins are a precaution. He lost 10 % weight at one week appointment and his two week appointment is Wednesday.

Updated: I'm not sure how accurate our weighing system is (we put him in a laundry basket on our scale and weighed the empty basket on the kitchen scale, subtracted) and got 8.88. His birth weight was 8 pounds on the nose.
    Last edited by @llli*roeni; March 16th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*roeni View Post
    So morning times are normal but in the afternoon he has started a feeding frenzy. Yesterday this went on from noon to 11:30 pm. He is latching great and gorging. Sometimes he falls asleep with a mouthful of unswallowed milk.
    This is SO great, exactly what baby needs. I know it's hard to have a baby nonstop on the breast for 11 hours but that is exactly what baby needs to gain weight. As amysmom suggested, set up a comfortable "nursing station" for yourself. And it sounds great that he is having a lot of poopy diapers. It can't come out if it isn't going in first! Laundry basket on the scale is not going to be useful - baby needs to be weighed naked on the same accurate scale each time. In any case at this point I am sure you are going to pediatrician often still and getting weighed. Most pediatricians will tolerate a 10% weight loss in the beginning but want to see baby back to birth weight by two weeks. So keep doing that nonstop nursing!

Hmm, sunburn feeling? Do you notice any color changes in the skin of the nipple after nursing? Maybe the skin turning white or purplish-blue before returning to a normal color? And did either you or baby have a recent course of antibiotics?

In a healthy, term baby, you really do not need to do vitamins. If baby was premature, an iron supplement might be a good idea, and if your baby is darker-skinned, living at a high latitude, and always indoors or covered in sunblock, a vitamin D supplement might be something you want to do. But otherwise... Routine vitamin supplementation is not a standard recommendation for healthy, term newborns. And not, IMO, a reason to do bottles.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"