Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Emergency infant feeding

Question Emergency infant feeding

Hello

Recently the question came up of what to feed an infant, let’s pretend it’s a newborn infant, in the absence of the mother, a surrogate and not in possession of formula with no discernible timeframe for relief?

Default Re: Emergency infant feeding

Huh? Is this an actual current concern or hypothetical?

If this is a real situation, how long has the mother been gone?

Hypothetical, so please do not worry. I was just curious, in the absence of all apparent options, what should one do?

Historically goats milk has been given. If I were in a 3rd world situation with no access to formula that is what I would do. But it certainly isn't ideal.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*avesnovuelan View Post
    Historically goats milk has been given. If I were in a 3rd world situation with no access to formula that is what I would do. But it certainly isn't ideal.
    Animal milk, sometimes mixed with bread or other foods. Recipes varied by country and custom, and as you get towards the 20th century people were making homemade "percentage method" formulas with animal milk, honey or sugar, and later on admixtures of juice and fish oil. But this was all a very poor substitute for human milk or formula, and large numbers of babies who were fed this way died or were sickened. Until the invention of safe formulas in the. 20th century, not being breastfed was often a death sentence.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"