Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Could exercise affect supply?

Default Could exercise affect supply?

So I have had a slow gainer from the beginning but now that I've gotten back into exercising it seems that his weight gain has slowed even more. I do pretty intense exercise about 5x/wk. I have also cut back on excess sugar which I wouldn't think would do anything but cut calories. Do u think this could cause issues?

Default Re: Could exercise affect supply?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexbell915 View Post
    So I have had a slow gainer from the beginning but now that I've gotten back into exercising it seems that his weight gain has slowed even more. I do pretty intense exercise about 5x/wk. I have also cut back on excess sugar which I wouldn't think would do anything but cut calories. Do u think this could cause issues?
    I would say it would only cause supply issues if you aren't replacing those calories...or if you don't have a lot of fat to spare. I do intense exercise about 3x per week, and I eat a lot of extra calories to replace what I burn.

How slow is slow for weight gain? This is what most people on here use if you haven't seen it already http://kellymom.com/bf/normal/weight-gain/
    and Mama to two little girls

Unless you're literally at the point of malnutrition, cutting some calories and exercising should not have a negative impact on supply. Your body will simply dip more deeply into your fat stores to make up for any deficit in your daily energy intake.

Can you give us a weight history for your baby?
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Sorry I've been trying to reply but I kept getting login errors. Our story is quite lengthy I'm afraid. He was 7lbs 9oz at birth and took two weeks to get back up to that. Then at his one month appt he was 8lbs 5 oz then at two months 9lbs 10oz. We just weighed him again at three months and he is 10lbs 6oz. He's gone from the 25th to the 10th and is now in the 3rd percentile for weight. He's remained in 50th for height and head circumference tho. We just switched docs cuz I didn't like his first one and the new doc is great and very supportive. She seems to think he has a slight tongue tie so she suggested doing a weight before and after feeding. He gained 2oz during his feed. Is that ok? It has been quite a rough go since the beginning. He had a really bad rash and is still battling cradle cap, which some say could be the culprit of the slow gain. I should also add that I take mothers milk special blend as my breasts didn't change much during pregnancy. I have nipple pain but only about 10% of the time- mostly at night when he's tired and only on the left breast. We co-sleep and feed on demand pretty much every two hours. My husband keeps suggesting supplementing but I feel like there's got to be a better fix. I'm just so exhausted and frustrated over this whole experience- I feel like it's always something.

I do know that tongue tied can effect how much intake a lo gets. 2 oz what I was told is on the low range but all babies are different and can eat 2 to 4 oz. a feeding I had to supplement my lo with pumped breast milk until we got it figured out. I would reccomend calling a lactation counsellor and just talking with them. Mine helped tons.

It's always something even when things are going perfectly. And that only lasts as long as your mothering experience does. Let me tell you about my 8 year-old's frustrating behaviors... At least when she was a baby I could just jam a breast in her mouth and count on that to shut her up!

One weigh-feed-weigh doesn't tell you a lot. The average feeding could be much better or much worse than what happens at the LC's office. If you're concerned about intake, I suggest renting a professional scale, one that is accurate to the 1/10th of an oz, and doing your own weighed feeds for a couple of days in a row. That will give you a much more accurate picture of intake. That being said, 2 oz is absolutely normal intake for a breastfed baby, who is going to need just 2-4 oz per feeding, making up for the small size of the average feeding by feeding pretty frequently. (I say "small" only in relation to the giant bottles that formula-fed babies get.)

I have never heard that rashes or cradle cap could explain slow gain. They could be indicators of allergy, but other than slow gain it doesn't sound like you're seeing other allergy symptoms. No bloody poops, no eczema, no asthma or other respiratory issues, right? If you want to get rid of the cradle cap, dip a cotton ball in olive oil and use that to coat your baby's head. Let it sit for 10 minutes, and then remove it with a comb or soft brush. Seriously, it works like magic!

Don't worry about not seeing breast changes during pregnancy. Some moms get them, some don't. If you are currently able to nourish your child on your milk alone, it's unlikely that you have any sort of supply problem related to glandular tissue or breast growth or whatever.

The one thing I would encourage you to do is to get that tongue tie looked at some more. It could be making it a lot harder for your baby to drain the breast, and that could explain the slow gain. A pediatric dentist or otolaryngologist are often the best at diagnosing and fixing tongue and lip ties.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"

Ok thanks. I may get a third opinion on the tongue tie. Well fourth actually. My midwife and new doc say he has a slight tongue tie but a good latch. My previous pediatrician said it was fine. I have a follow up in a month to check his weight again. If he's still off the chart maybe we will see a pediatric dentist. The new doc isn't that worried about his weight but I am.

To add, I think my midwife was saying that the cradle cap could be affecting weight gain because his body is putting so much energy into the cradle cap. He's had swollen lymph nodes on the back of his head since about 6 weeks and he's almost 13 weeks now! It's just an unsettling picture when you look at the slow weight gain, the persistent cradle cap, and the mild tongue tie. He doesn't have any blood n stool or anything. Other than that he is really healthy! And he's growing otherwise normally and already rolling over! So, I am just frustrated I guess. Thanks so much for your input I really appreciate it.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*alexbell915 View Post
    To add, I think my midwife was saying that the cradle cap could be affecting weight gain because his body is putting so much energy into the cradle cap. He's had swollen lymph nodes on the back of his head since about 6 weeks and he's almost 13 weeks now!
    Frankly, I find that suggestion really weird. Cradle cap is ridiculously common- something like 1/2 of all babies have it. And it's not like that 1/2 of all babies have issues with gaining weight. Both my kids had crazy cradle cap and they were really fat. And my firstborn also had the swollen lymph nodes- and again, no trouble gaining weight.

Are you doing bottles at all? I'm thinking that one approach you could take would be to pump a couple of bottles per day, allow one to settle in the fridge, and pour the cream from the settled bottle into the second bottle. That "double cream" bottle gets fed to the baby, and the skimmed milk that's left over gets tossed in the freezer for use in baby's first solids (e.g. thinning out cereals or purees). The only reason I mention this labor-intensive possibility is that you seem so concerned about his weight, and more calories might help boost it. Or they might not- maybe he's just a slim kid? Some of them are, right?

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    Frankly, I find that suggestion really weird. Cradle cap is ridiculously common- something like 1/2 of all babies have it. And it's not like that 1/2 of all babies have issues with gaining weight. Both my kids had crazy cradle cap and they were really fat. And my firstborn also had the swollen lymph nodes- and again, no trouble gaining weight.

Yeah, this is a strange idea to me, too. My 16 month old actually still has some cradle cap--she had it pretty bad when she was a newborn, and there are still some persistent patches to this day. But my daughter is also giant, and she went from the 10th percentile at birth to consistently above the 99th percentile by her 8 week visit! Cradle cap is literally just seborrheic dermatitis, which is a common culprit of adult dandruff. It alone should not be affecting your baby at all in any way other than cosmetically.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!