Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: How to transition from bottle to sippy cup

Default How to transition from bottle to sippy cup

I'm looking for advice on how to transition my 15 month old son from a bottle to a sippy cup at daycare. He breastfeeds at home, but I still send bottles to daycare. He is drinking less milk from bottles, but still drinks at least 4-6 oz at daycare. Switching to a sippy cup would make washing dishes much easier, since we use the Dr. Browns and there are so many parts to wash. But my concern is, if we switch to a sippy cup he will drink even less milk or none at all. How can I transition him to a sippy cup while still making sure he drinks some milk? Thanks for the help!
    working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12. My little Christmas gift.

Default Re: How to transition from bottle to sippy cup

Has your LO used a sippy for any other drinks, like water? I would try that and see how he likes it - at 15months, my LO could use a sippy with a straw, and she loved it. Then you could maybe try sending a sippy to daycare with a bottle as a backup? But I wouldn't be surprised if he stops wanting expressed milk in a bottle or a cup soon - my DD was around that age, and from what I've read it's quite common!

Yes, he uses a sippy cup and a straw cup for water. He's been using it for probably about 5 months or so. I like your idea of sending the sippy cup and the bottle as a back-up. I'll ask his daycare provider about it today. And I'm glad you mentioned that he might give up expressed milk soon. It does seem like he's fazing out the bottle. He won't take one from my husband at all anymore, and is taking it less and less at daycare.
    working mom to Pete, born 12/26/12. My little Christmas gift.

How often are you nursing? The rule of thumb is that if you are nursing 3-5 times/24 hours you don't need additional milk. Just to reassure you further about him drinking less expressed milk! My LO also started refusing the expressed milk, I think around 16 months, but continued to be happy to nurse.