Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Please help - working and sleeping, 4 month old

Default Please help - working and sleeping, 4 month old

Last night my EBF 4 month old woke up TWELVE TIMES, including once 15 minutes after she had had a full feeding (20 minutes on one boob, 12 on the other). The night ended with her in bed with me from 6 to 7 am (she normally doesn't even like sleeping in bed with us, she's too rambunctious and moves around), and me not even getting to work at all because I was so traumatized by the whole thing. My work is extremely understanding, but this obviously can't continue forever.

If this were an anomaly, I would probably be able to handle it. But it seems like the continuation of a horrible downward trend - namely, her sleep seems to have gotten worse and worse since she's gone to daycare. She takes 3 bottles between 3 and 5 oz per day. She is refluxy and day care has expressed concern that she spits up a large amount of her calories. I feed her twice at night or more, usually at midnight and 3 or 4. I log all her sleep and she usually comes in around 11.5-12 hours total for a 24-hour period, which seems lower than what babies her age need according to the zillions of books I've read on this topic.

Anyone have any suggestions for how to deal with night feedings when she wakes up every hour or more? Is this just the 4 mo sleep regression? How long should I ride it out to make sure? Several people are suggesting formula and/or rice cereal, which I don't want ... and I also don't think this should make the difference since she used to sleep just fine (5 hour stretch then 3 hour stretch).
    Last edited by @llli*xiaoshira; March 13th, 2014 at 01:25 PM.

Default Re: Please help - working and sleeping, 4 month old

Can you nurse side-lying and doze off while she eats? I would guess this is just a phase but maybe that will help you get through it?

Thanks! I may try it again... it never has worked before. I have never been able to fall asleep while she is eating. Nursing isn't painful anymore, but I wouldn't call it comfortable either, and I am a light sleeper. Plus, my boobs feel too small for her to really latch on while sleeping.

Good luck!

re: spitting up a large amount of calories: unlikely. Even a relatively small volume of spit up can look like an impressive amount. But once the milk hits the stomach it mixes with the gastric juices so the spit up is not pure milk. If daycare is concerned, smaller, more frequent bottles may help - 5 oz is a lot in one bottle. And I think we've talked about paced feeding techniques right? Maybe they are giving the bottle to her too quickly.

Formula and rice cereal: unlikely to help with sleep. It FEELS tempting because it is just so tiring to wake up so many times. But all it will be doing is substituting substandard nutrition without any benefit.

Could be the 4 month sleep regression, could be her wanting to spend time with you since you're apart during the day. Even if you can't doze while baby is nursing (and you may learn to!), I do think it's more restful to just lie in bed while baby is nursing than to be up and down all night. So, I definitely think it's worth it to keep trying the side-lying nursing and see whether co-sleeping is actually more restful for you.

It's hard but it won't go on forever, the best thing is to learn how to cope with it as best you can. And go to bed early!