Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: The most beautiful comment on nursing

Default The most beautiful comment on nursing

I received the most beautiful pro-full term breastfeeding comment today in our (Catholic) church. I HAD to share it!

A lady who knows our family and saw DS2.5 nursing during Mass stopped to chat after the celebration and candidly shared her experience of being nursed until she was 5. She said she thinks nursing is such a beautiful and loving gift for a child, a perfect food, and a unique and wonderful way to express maternal love. She went on to add that she has fond memories of nursing and enjoys a particularly close and fulfilling relationship with her mother now, she believes in part as a result of nursing. I was touched to hear her describe playing outside and running in to nurse at 4 and 5.

When I stated that my son will be allowed to nurse as long and as often as he'd like, she smiled broadly and said, "How wonderful! It's so natural and perfect!"

I wish that every nursing mother would receive such positive feedback!!! Please send your prayers for this awesome lady and terrific role model.

Default Re: The most beautiful comment on nursing

thank you for this! with your permission, I would like to share your post with friend who was just given a very hard time by her 3 year old daughter's preschool teacher for nursing.

That's wonderful! Glad you got such a positive response I think there are more extended-nursers out there than I realized--I just learned another kid in my son's preschool class is still nursing, too! I had thought we were the only ones.
    First-time mama to Joshua, 10/29/11. 29 months and going strong! for 14 months; now finished with pump weaning!

Wow that is an amazing comment, thank you for sharing! Such encouragement
    My son was born 3/15/2013. He is my little wiggle worm

-ICP (intrahepatic cholestasis of pregnancy) mom, would love to talk if you are going or went through the same experience.
    Also: &

-most of the time busy chasing my little man as he rolls his way through the house

That's so great! I'm sure my family would have a heart attack if anyone nursed in church and they noticed! So that is a nice comment no matter what, plus in church is extremely helpful and encouraging. Nursing friendly Pope Francis would be proud!
    Mom to my sweet little "Pooper," born 10/12/11, and "Baby Brother," born 6/23/2014, and married to heavy metal husband. Working more than full-time, making healthy vegetarian meals for family, and trying to keep up with exercise routine.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*lllmeg View Post
    thank you for this! with your permission, I would like to share your post with friend who was just given a very hard time by her 3 year old daughter's preschool teacher for nursing.
    Please do, Meg! And send some of Dettwyler's research her way too.

That is so great. I have trouble with a close friend who is really judgmental about me still nursing my 18 month old (really? He is not even considered "extended" in my book until we go past 2!) She always says "as long as you stop when he can ask for it". I have explained to her that all infants, within moments of birth are "asking for it" via non-verbal communication. And she also doesn't seem to understand that is isn't just food. She was babysitting one evening and when I came home my DS walked up to me demanding to nurse with a smile. She was like "wow I guess he was hungry" but I said at this age nursing is about comfort and re-connection as much and even more than it is for sustenance.
    At least I have my very supportive mother in law, a woman who I love but with for the most part we can't see eye to eye on anything. She told me the story of how she was under so much pressure to wean my older brother in law when they were living in northern Michigan. Everyone, even doctors, told her she couldn't give her son the same nutrition on breast milk as she could on formula (what kind of medical advice is that?) She was so angry that she "gave in" at one year and weaned him (which was still far longer than the average child!), that she was very intentional with my husband to "nurse as long as I felt like it" and although she doesn't remember exactly how old he was when he weaned, he did self wean and he told me he has one distinct memory of nursing. Since children, especially boys, usually do not imprint memory until 4 or 5, I can only guess he was nursed full term. I am so happy for him since I was only given the gift until 9 months and my brother about 3 weeks because my mom had very little support to help her with what was a difficult nursing experience. My husband is extremely healthy, more so than me, and my brother has had chronic illnesses, both physical and mental, his whole life. I know that is just anecdotal and not likely related to nursing but it may have some effect! Also nice to have a supportive husband to allow my son and I to go as long as we feel like it!
    We , , , and with my little monkey, born 9/30/2012.

That's lovely, alphawoman. Thanks for sharing!