Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: I need words of encouragement

Default I need words of encouragement

Ok, my baby is 6 months old. I went back to work when he was 3 months old. When I went back to work he was a little fussy when he was given a bottle. She would get the milk in him, but would have to work with him for a while. I was also going and feeding him at lunch. He turned 6 months on Fed 23 and because my job location changed I stopped going and feeding him at lunch. I knew he prefered me over the bottle (that is how I want it), but when I would go pick him up, daycare would tell me that he ate just fine. Well this week daycare is on vacation so my sister in law has come to my house to take care of the kids. Well the baby absolutley will not take a bottle from her, so I've been going and feeding him at lunch. I have told her things she can try such as hold him in his favorite position, try giving him a bottle in a postion other than a nursing postion. I had her try spoonfeeding. He would not do that either. He pushed the spoon away. I had her try a sippy cup. He want take anything from her. I thought maybe the milk had a smell or taste he didn't like, but I tried it last night and it seemed fine. So my conclusion is he just don't want to eat with her and he is waiting on me. Which I think is perfectly normal. He is nursing at lunch, and when I get home. We co-sleep so he is nursing at least 3 times during the night. In my heart of heart I feel he is ok. I guess the encouragement I need to hear is that my instincts are right. Sometimes people can have a way of making you doubt yourself and that is sort of how I am feeling. I just want to hear of other moms who's baby's refused a bottle. And also next week when he is back on his original schedule what do I need to do if he continues to refuse the bottle because I will be at a different location next week and want get to go and feed him at lunch. One more thing I did have my husband try a bottle to see if he would take one from him last night but he would not. I told my husband that we have a smart baby he likes his milk straight from the tap.

Default Re: I need words of encouragement

How long have you tried feeding him in a bottle? It will take some time for babies to adjust so you have to be patient and do it gradually. When your DH gave the bottle, were you around? Your LO can sense if you are nearby and possibly won't take the bottle as he wants it straight from momma.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momat37 View Post
    Ok, my baby is 6 months old. I went back to work when he was 3 months old. When I went back to work he was a little fussy when he was given a bottle. She would get the milk in him, but would have to work with him for a while. I was also going and feeding him at lunch. He turned 6 months on Fed 23 and because my job location changed I stopped going and feeding him at lunch. I knew he prefered me over the bottle (that is how I want it), but when I would go pick him up, daycare would tell me that he ate just fine. Well this week daycare is on vacation so my sister in law has come to my house to take care of the kids. Well the baby absolutley will not take a bottle from her, so I've been going and feeding him at lunch. I have told her things she can try such as hold him in his favorite position, try giving him a bottle in a postion other than a nursing postion. I had her try spoonfeeding. He would not do that either. He pushed the spoon away. I had her try a sippy cup. He want take anything from her. I thought maybe the milk had a smell or taste he didn't like, but I tried it last night and it seemed fine. So my conclusion is he just don't want to eat with her and he is waiting on me. Which I think is perfectly normal. He is nursing at lunch, and when I get home. We co-sleep so he is nursing at least 3 times during the night. In my heart of heart I feel he is ok. I guess the encouragement I need to hear is that my instincts are right. Sometimes people can have a way of making you doubt yourself and that is sort of how I am feeling. I just want to hear of other moms who's baby's refused a bottle. And also next week when he is back on his original schedule what do I need to do if he continues to refuse the bottle because I will be at a different location next week and want get to go and feed him at lunch. One more thing I did have my husband try a bottle to see if he would take one from him last night but he would not. I told my husband that we have a smart baby he likes his milk straight from the tap.
    I think as long as he is gaining and meeting milestones, he is doing just fine. I have a friend and her baby did something similar, he is 11 months now but he did a lot of reverse cycling (eating only when with her vs. when at day care). He's a very healthy boy!

My daughter has never taken a bottle once. In her entire life. She is 15 months old today. I think you can continue just as you are, and yes it sounds like your son prefers you and just doesn't want to budge on that. You can do it this way! Your son could try an open cup, also, if you want...my daughter always had an open cup before she was 1 year and then we gave her the straw cup. I thought for sure she'd let up on her nursing but she never did, she nurses more than ever.

Also, if your goal is long term nursing, I would not force the bottle if he rejects it. Especially since you said you'd rather he prefer you to the bottle. Anyway, just wanted you to know that you don't have to use a bottle...I tried and she never took it. I have a good social life now and my husband bonds with her, it just took a little longer.
    and Mama to two little girls

I agree, sounds like he is reverse cycling. Which is fine! I like karrieperry's suggestion to try other types of cups (a sippy cup would be another option). But what matters is how much milk he drinks in 24 hours. As long as he has unrestricted access to the breast during the hours you are together (which, unless you work really long hours, are more than the hours that you are apart) he should be fine. Although I haven't personally experienced it (at least not until toddlerhood), I've certainly heard of other babies who refuse EBM and do all their nursing once mom comes home. Also, I think it's possible that baby will take the bottle again when he gets back to his usual daytime routine. But even if he doesn't I do think you're fine. Just be prepared to keep doing lots of evening and night nursing! If anything, that's nice for a mom working outside the home - less expressed milk that you have to come up with and great for keeping your supply going!

Thanks ladies for confirming what I felt is normal for us. I guess I was just letting my sister in law's comments make me feel like I was hurting my baby. She feels like he is missing out on some of his nurishment because he is not taking the bottles. But the main thing is he getting it when he is with me. His weight at birth was 7lbs 12oz. His weight now is 20lbs. I must be doing something right.

20 lbs at 6 months . Umm, no, that does not sound like an under-nourished baby!

Wow! I wouldn't be worried if he has almost tripled his birth weight. It sounds like he just loves his mama most and I don't see anything wrong with that. You do what you know is best in your heart. Nobody knows your baby like you do

My girls hated bottles. All three of them.

If you nurse him before you leave, at lunch and the moment you pick him up, he should be okay. Offering a bottle is okay. If he takes it, that's fine. If he doesn't, that's fine. It's just enough to carry him over until he gets back to Momma.

Try saying "it's different with breast fed babies, he's okay". Smile and snuggle your babe. Your confidence will speak volumes.
    Mommy to our DD1 early bird (34 weeks, 2 days, 7lbs, 14oz)! Oct. 2nd, 2008 Emergency C-Section, Frank Breech, HEALTHY Girl!
    Weaned @ 17 months
    Our DD2 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 12oz) Aug. 10th, 2010 Our Successful VBAC, growing like a bad weed!
    Weaned @ 15 months
    Our DD3 early bird (37 weeks, 3 days, 7lbs, 6oz) Feb. 16th, 2012 Our 2nd VBAC and lightening speedy birth!

Loving being a Mom of 3, 40 months apart!!
    and

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*momat37 View Post
    I knew he prefered me over the bottle (that is how I want it), but when I would go pick him up, daycare would tell me that he ate just fine.
    I wonder if he really does eat while you're away? Perhaps the daycare just TELLS you that so you'll leave her alone I know people who'd do that.

I can feel you. My son doesn't want me away from his sight and it's really a struggle to leave him with someone else. You are normal and it is normal for a child to be like that to their mom, and you are doing just great.