Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Beaten down by a milk blister

Default Beaten down by a milk blister

I'm feeling discouraged tonight because my nipple is so so painful. I have a milk blister Baby always nurses to sleep and tonight I was nursing her with tears coming down my cheeks. Yesterday I was pretty painfully engorged with what felt like a blocked duct but after a long, painful, tear streaked nursing session we got that taken care of. I know I need to nurse nurse nurse to keep it drained and healthy, but this blister feels like it's on fire.
    I've tried hot compresses (that's what finally got that blocked duct moving). I haven't tried popping it yet.
    I guess I'm hoping for practical advice and moral support. It's going to be a long night...

I read this from KellyMom http://kellymom.com/bf/concerns/moth...leb/#Treatment but I can't even imagine scraping it with a wash cloth or many of the other suggestions there. I'd need to have several stiff drinks first.
    Last edited by @llli*jessicanewmom; March 12th, 2014 at 08:27 PM.

Default Re: Beaten down by a milk blister

Oh, and my baby is nearly 4 months and she's a good eater who is gaining just fine...so all that is good...

Can you see the blister? And if you can, will milk bead up over it if you hand express? My guess is that there is no need to pop it or rough it up or pick at it or whatever at this point; you got the plug taken care of and that indicates that the blister is already broken. But try to express some milk and see- if milk comes out of the blister, then there's no need to pick/scratch/pop/etc. If milk won't bead up, then you may need to prick/scratch/pop- let us know and we'll walk you through it. It's not as painful as you think and definitely something you want to do yourself, rather than having a doctor or nurse do it for you.

When a milk blister pops, you're left with what is basically a tiny crack, and that is very painful. The good news is that these tiny, pinpoint cracks also tend to heal fast; I never had one last more than a week, and generally saw significant improvement in the space of a day or two. If the pain is really getting you down, here are some things to try:
    - Dab a mixture of 1% hydrocortisone cream and Bacitracin ointment on the site to fight inflammation and infection (use pea-sized amount, mixed and applied with a clean finger).
    - Do warm water soaks- fill a shot glass with warm water or salt water and immerse the nipple in it. This is particularly good right before nursing, since hydrating the blister/scab means less pain when it tears open.
    - Vary your nursing position so baby's mouth lands on the area in a different way.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks for your reply! I think it's the crack I'm left with now. It's white looking, but not blistery... I'm not sure. I definitely felt some relief when the duct came unplugged which may have been the blister popping. I got a little milk from that site after the duct came unplugged, though I'm not great at hand expressing. I'll try again once we get going this morning & see if I'm still getting milk. I'll try the shot glass soak, too. Thank you. If the blister is popped already then it's just wound care& time??
    Unfortunately this seems to have coincided with a feeding burst from baby (maybe not a coincidence). Last night she wanted to be latched all night & didn't want me laying down either I'm not going to be very functional today #WorkingMomsAreSuperheros

It does look like milk is coming out. But, ooooh it still hurts! Hopefully we're on the mend??

The leftover skin around the popped blister can also cause pain. Sometimes when it hurts while baby is nursing then I'll check the nipple and see a tiny piece of extra skin from somewhere (either a popped blister or some other shedding skin) and once I remove it, the nursing is fine.

What I see is a white patch of skin. Maybe that's the fresh scab? If I really smash Baby's head on my breast and hold her there tight then nursing is tolerable. But when she's no longer starving she tends to pop on and off and that's still a killer!

Ruchiccio, you're a brave mama! I just can't imagine going in and removing anything from that poor nipple.

My understanding is that the white patch of skin is dead, thickened skin overlying the duct. It should wear off in time, even if you do nothing.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"