Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Im pregnant again, losing my supply and he started biting me

Default Im pregnant again, losing my supply and he started biting me

I have an 8 month old son, EBF who was introduced to solids at 5 1/2 months and is now feeding on demand and eating apx 1-2 jars of stage 2 food a day. I pump on my workdays and in the last few months my supply dropped so that I was making just a little less and thereby going through my storage. In the last 2-3 weeks my supply has dropped significantly and I have no stores left. I just tested and have a positive pregnancy test. Today is my first off day with my son and I was feeding per usual when he bit me for the first time, it started us both, I waited a few moments and we started again he sucked for about a minute and bit me again. So I stopped the feeding. H'e's bitten me twice more today and it hurts!!!! This is terrible timing as I was hoping to spend the rest of the week trying to rebuild a supply with him. Does anybody have any ideas? I'm frustrated enough that I'm ready to go get some formula, my hormones are also making problem solving a bit difficult as I just seem to want to cry over it instead of trying to figure this out. Thanks for your time!!

Default Re: Im pregnant again, losing my supply and he started bitin

Congratulations on your pregnancy! It sounds like your little man has a good appetite. It's possible he's biting because he's having a hard time getting enough milk out, but at 8 mos it also could have been teething.

Unfortunately when your milk dries up during pregnancy there isn't really anything you can do to get it to come back up because the drop in supply is hormonal. You can certainly continue to nurse him, and will likely continue to produce some milk, but if you feel you aren't producing enough or if he seems like he's not getting enough and is hungry you will need to supplement him with either donated milk or formula. He's not old enough to replace nursing with solid foods and cow's milk.
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous