Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 5 months old fussy and fighting sleep

Default 5 months old fussy and fighting sleep

Hello everyone. I already posted couple of weeks ago and got loads of help and support and to be honest I'm really hoping to get some suggestions this time as well.
    My DD is 22 wo now and I think that she's bren going through that famous "4months old sleep regression". She's never been great sleeper and at this point I don't even dream about sleeping through the night (however know it's gonna happen some day eventually). She managed to sleep for more than 2h just couple of times usually she's up every 2h on good night. Her bedtime is loose and usually falls between 7pm and 8pm and she wakes up around 7-8am.
    Recently she's fighting sleep like if her life depends on it. I nurse her to sleep and 90% of time she'll fight it regardless whether is nap or bedtime or even at night. I feel that she's constantly tired and I think that because of that she started fussing in Ergo and buggy as the motion makes her sleepy. But at the same time if she falls asleep (eg is her naptime) she will not sleep for more than 40min. For past few days she's been waking up around 5-6am and refusing to sleep again.
    She's also been teething and last week already cut her second tooth so I guess it plays role as well.
    Few nights ago in the evening she fell asleep on me. She was sitting kind of leaning against my belly and then I saw that her eyes just started closing. No nursing, no rocking she just probably couldn't fight tiredness anymore. She has NEVER feel asleep like that.
    Another thing is that her latch is quite bad recently. Not to the point that it would hurt me but her lips are not curled outward anymore and she's losing the sucktion very easily. I also hear air being forced to her tummy (not sure due to bad latch or some overproduction/ OL) I guess that all can be due to teething but will she develop better latch or it will stay flimsy because of teeth?
    What am I supposed to do? How to help myself and my LO? Sometimes I'm at my wits ends as I feel I'm constantly fighting with her. Feel like I'm forcing her to be in the carrier or buggy, forcing her to nurse or to sleep when she's not tired.
    There was 2 quiet days last week but apart from that it's constant moaning, fussing, grunting and all those noises. And the way I see it is just getting worse and worse. And like if all thay struggle is not enough she started biting me today.
    I really do not know what to do. I hold her when she sleeps so I have not much time on my own. DH will take her for little here and there so I can take shower, eat peacefully or generally get few minutes rest but I still feel like my DD's slave. I try to give her everything sacrificing myself and she still doesn't seem to be satisfied. I got to the point that recently I let her fuss for couple of minutes otherwise I wouldn't eat do anything around the house etc. And babywearing doesn't help at this point. I'm really afraid that one day I'll be so fed up with it that I'll let her CIO. Even though I'm 100% against it.
    Please give me some suggestions as I feel I'm really breaking apart. I can't plan anything as she's so unpredictable and honestly I thought at this age she would develop some kind of routine of her own which she did for a while but then it all fell apart. She also stopped pooing at night quite while ago but for the past week or so she will do one or even two at night which is not a big deal really but at this point the last thing I want is waking my LO at night for a nappy change. I feel like I'm going backwards and Tbh seems like there was way less "troubles" with her when she was newborn (which I always had the impression that the first few weeks are relatively difficult and then it all settles)

Default Re: 5 months old fussy and fighting sleep

Bump please

Hi there fezghoula, sorry I don't have any solutions for you. I see you bumped your post and just wanted to say that as I was reading your post, I was sitting here nodding my head at all that you were saying. Especially about being a slave to your DD an not having any time to yourself. I was and still am in the same position. My DD2 was exactly like that through 4 & 5 months (she's 7mth now) and I would say she's been sleeping the best now that he ever has!!! And we still get up every 2 hours to nurse throughout the night! 30 min naps during the day (some are increasing) I hear ya about the fighting to go asleep and stay asleep! I don't have any solution. I posted a couple of times on here when we were going through those stages because I was worried if she was getting enough milk, diaper output, if nursing was causing her to sleep poorly through the night etc. I was going insane! (& I think I'm still there, just having fun in it though!) I purchased the book the no-cry sleep solution by Elizabeth Pantley as I heard about it on here a few times. Good book, good read. But I think teething played a huge part, just normal fussiness, and prayed that it would end!!! And it's definitely has gotten better, not great, but bearable!! And I'm just setting myself up to think that we will probably go through it again!
    Hang tough mama! Sounds like your hubby is already helping, so try to take advantage if that !!

if your baby is unable to sleep even when you are doing everything you can that would normally ease a
    A baby into sleep, such as wearing baby, walking or rocking baby and probably most importantly nursing baby to sleep,
    perhaps it's time to see if there is some medical issue. An inability to sleep is one of the symptoms of food allergy, For example.
    Otherwise I would suggest that you recognize that babies do need their mothers. They need their mothers more than they need anyone or anything else, much more. This does not mean we are their slaves although it can certainly feel that way sometimes!
    This does not mean you cannot take a break. Your baby will not die if they are left with a responsible caregiver while you get a A few hours break.
    I think sometimes it can be very hard to be needed as much as the baby needs their mother. Mother is everything to an infant. Food, warmth , safety, love, comfort...
    This will not be forever. The day when you realize that your child no longer needs you this much I can tell you from experience, is a sad day.
    Also I never woke my babies to change their poopy diapers. If they woke up
    uncomfortable I would change them but usually they just slept on which was fine with me.

Thanks for your replies and encouragement. Sometimes all we need is somebody to hear us and give us few words of support.
    Things improved somehow since Friday I have to say. So far that's the longest non fussy period or maybe it's just my approach that makes it different. I kind of figured out that she has just 3 40minutes naps a day and she spreads them so sometimes she'll stay awake for 2h and sometimes for 4. Maybe she needs less sleep as she gets older. Anyway It's much easier when I accepted it this way however I still stress over her sleep sometimes Lol.
    @llli*justgowithitmama I read that book but was originally more interested in "No cry nap solution" but thought that I'd read the most popular one first.
    And Thanks your post gave me hope. @llli*lllmeg every now and then I think about allergy/intolerance/even ruflux. She's been having green foamy and muscusy poops but apart from that she seems fine most of the time. So I though that's probably sth to do with milk imbalance. Plus once she sleeps in the evening she sleeps fine nursing usually every 2h (apart from those few incidents when she wakes up around 3 am and seems to want to start the day.

LOL fezghoula! I was exactly the same with the no cry nap solution book too!!! But my husband couldn't find it at the book store so I just got the original one!!!
    Every other day I seem to be questioning myself about this breast feeding stuff- why does my baby nurse 4 or 5 (or even 6)times a night? Am I soon something wrong? Maybe I should give her a bottle during the day? Maybe solids will change her sleeping and nursing (so far it hasn't) and then I always tell myself to just wait another day before making any kind of decision, and the next day I'm either too tired or forgot about it, or I see some sign of hope, and then the next day I feel good about it and tell myself I was just overreacting!!! (My just about 5 year old still doesn't sleep well and she definitely eats solids lol! No breast feeding through) and I always tell myself that this stage of my babies life will be short compared to the long run, so who cares if she STILL only sleeps 30 minutes naps during the day?! Who cares that I don't have a second to myself?! Sorry for the long rant!!!
    I have just learned to love 5am!!!