Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Freeze and then scald?

Default Freeze and then scald?

So I'm getting ready to go back to work in a couple days and of course just in the last week figured out I have excess lipase. Baby has not been able to learn to take a bottle very well because if the milk is even little soapy she won't drink it, and it turns in just a few hours. I've noticed that freezing tends to slow down the lipase activity. What I am wondering is when I do go back to work would it be ok to put the milk I pump at work in the freezer and then thaw and scald it when I get home? I wouldn't freeze it again, just put it in the fridge for the next work day. Or will this ruin all the nutrients in the milk? The only other solution I can think of would be to scald it at work in a bottle warmer since I don't have access to a stove, but that seems like a lot of hassle.

I am really freaked out about returning to work since R hasn't had a chance to master the bottle, and I only have about 9 ounces of milk in the freezer. I am going to pump twice/day between now and when I go back to work on Wednesday to increase that stash and hopefully I can keep my pumping output matched with her intake but if for some reason I don't pump enough we aren't going to have much of a reserve.

Default Re: Freeze and then scald?

Sorry to hear about the lipase - going back to work is stressful enough without worrying about lipase. The ideal scenario would be to scald as soon as possible. I guess you don't know until you try it whether the freeze-thaw-scald procedure will work in terms of keeping the lipase under control, but it makes some physiological sense, in that enzymes usually are slowed down at colder temperature. The only problem is that once you freeze and thaw, the milk has a short shelf life, about 24 hours. So maybe one idea is to scald the last pump of the day as soon as you get home without freezing and for the earlier pumps in the day, try either freezing of the bottle warmer. If the interval between the last pump and getting home is short enough to keep the lipase from acting. Have you tried the bottle warmer scalding technique to see if that takes care of the lipase?

I think 9 oz is a good start, from your other posts sounds like you have some oversupply so you should be up to where you want to be in the next few days. Are you immediately scalding the milk you are pumping now?

Is baby going to be at daycare or with DH or a family member? If there are still issues with the bottle is bringing baby to you to nurse an option? Even if there aren't issues with the bottle at least that could save you some pumping/scalding/freezing.

It's normal to be freaked out about returning to work whatever the circumstances...