Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Almost-5-month-old distracted/disinterested?

Default Almost-5-month-old distracted/disinterested?

BFing is going so well for us and my LO has always been a great eater. For the past couple of weeks however, he has become more and more distracted at the breast, unlatching and turning to look if my husband/the dog walk into the room, or if I say something, he will unlatch and look up at me like, "WTF mom!?"

He has always preferred my left side, and will eat on the right for about 2 minutes before getting grunty and fidgety. When I switch, he will eat well for 3-5 minutes on the left before popping off and on, and again getting fidgety and making frustrated grunting sounds. He seems reasonably happy when I unlatch him and sit him upright and go about our day, but it doesn't seem like he's getting a full feeding. He is bottle-fed EBM 3 days/week when I am working, and our nanny reports he can be pretty distracted then as well, and will sometimes only eat 2 or 3 oz at a time, where before he was consistently eating 4 oz.

He does nurse better/longer during the night, and will normally be up 3x between 7p and 7a.

Diaper output is good and he is gaining well. I've never had any supply issues, but am concerned that my supply will go down if he continues to feed like this. Should I be pumping after our daytime nursing sessions to maintain supply? Is this normal 4-6 mo fussiness? Could he be teething? Am I overthinking all this?

Default Re: Almost-5-month-old distracted/disinterested?

I think you might be overthinking just a bit. 2-3 ounces is a perfectly normal amount for a baby to be eating, so no worries there. And it's also normal for babies to get more efficient at nursing so their sessions get shorter as they get older- often around 4-5 mos. And of course your lo is transitioning from the most important thing in the world being your face and breast to a growing interest in the rest of the world around him, so distraction is also a normal stage of development. Given the good weight gain and diaper output, it sounds to me like you're doing great. Keep up the good work!
    “We are not put on earth for ourselves, but are placed here for each other. If you are there always for others, then in time of need, someone will be there for you.”
    --Anonymous

Oh my, the same thing is happening with my Samuel - he's a week short of 5 months. I had the same question too, if I should pump to maintain my supply or just let things go? I decided to just let things go and pretend I was living in the olden days when they had no pumps and just let the baby determine the supply, not an artificial contraption I pump 2x a day at work anyway so I'm not going to add to that. My baby also eats for only a few minutes now. He keep popping off to look at me and initiate conversation (it takes all my stamina not to answer back!) or he flails his arms and acts frustrated like why on earth are you making me eat now. But I know it's not letdown-related since this happens a few minutes after my letdown happens so it's not that. I decided that I'll try to relatch him three times. If he still pops off then he's done. Diaper output hasn't gone down here on our end either, as far as I can tell. Nighttime he does great, just like your baby. I feed him at 10pm, put him to bed, then I feed him at 12ish when I go to bed (he eats for 20+ minutes straight!), and then he'll wake up one more time in the early AM though I don't think he eats too much since he's sleepy.

I'm going through the same thing right now! My DS is just over 5 months and is so distracted when nursing. It's especially bad when I get home from work, with his 2 siblings running around and telling me about their days and general excitement that 'mom's home'. I have a similar approach as ruchiccio...he can pop off a couple times, I'll switch sides, and a couple more pop-off's then he's done and has to wait until the family's done with dinner. He's always been a bit wiggly when nursing, but now that he's gaining more strength, he constantly pumps his feet and looks for anything to push off from while nursing. Completely annoying (and funny).
    DS 3/1/10, DD 6/26/11, DS 10/5/13
    Working & pumping mom with 3 kiddos three and under

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mrsng View Post
    I'm going through the same thing right now! My DS is just over 5 months and is so distracted when nursing. It's especially bad when I get home from work, with his 2 siblings running around and telling me about their days and general excitement that 'mom's home'. I have a similar approach as ruchiccio...he can pop off a couple times, I'll switch sides, and a couple more pop-off's then he's done and has to wait until the family's done with dinner. He's always been a bit wiggly when nursing, but now that he's gaining more strength, he constantly pumps his feet and looks for anything to push off from while nursing. Completely annoying (and funny).
    Yeah it IS funny when he'll pop off, turn his eyes to me, and make some cute sound. How am I supposed to get frustrated then?! I can't wear necklaces anymore either because he grabs them and the sounds pique his interest more than nursing does. I love nursing him while he's asleep - that's the best.

My daughter, who is four months old, is acting very distracted with nursing. She usually takes anywhere between 20 and 60+ minutes to nurse but recently has been only nursing for a few minutes and popping on and off. She eats well during the night when we cosleep. I'm glad to hear this is normal activity for this age- I was wondering what was going on!