Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 8 week old screaming while nursing

Default 8 week old screaming while nursing

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced your newborn screaming while nursing. My 8 week old has started to nurse for a minute and then she starts fussing/screaming/head-butting my breast. I know there is enough milk there for her, but I'm not sure why she is getting so upset. I try to burp her mid-way through each side to help those with those bubbles. Is it something I'me eating? Any advice welcome! Thanks so much.

Default Re: 8 week old screaming while nursing

I sincerely doubt it is anything you are eating. Here are a few more likely causes. 1 it is actually forceful letdown. 2 baby has painful reflux. 3 baby prefers a different nursing position at that moment. 4 baby is just fussy and because baby is nursing so much of the time it manifests while nursing.

There can be several reasons why babies become fussy when you BF. It might be baby has a thrush or not in a good condition, finds it difficult to latch, has an ear infection, or baby doesn't like the products you've put near your breasts to name a few. The taste of your milk might change due to some food you have eaten but it should be the least reason. Try to give lots of skin to skin contact or offer your breast when LO is very sleepy or asleep.

One of the most important things to realize, as a mother in general and as a nursing mother in particular, is that not everything your baby does is somehow your fault. Sometimes babies fuss because babies are fussy creatures, not because of something you did or ate or drank or thought.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommal View Post
    One of the most important things to realize, as a mother in general and as a nursing mother in particular, is that not everything your baby does is somehow your fault. Sometimes babies fuss because babies are fussy creatures, not because of something you did or ate or drank or thought.
    Yes, this too.

I'm having the same problem too with my 8 weeks old baby now too. Not only he seems not interested in breastfeed, but he has been sleeping longer too.. he would sleep 10 hours long.. wakeup twice but did not want to feed or breastfeed.. it's been like this since the past 3 days.. very frustrating... I brought him to the pediatrician just this Wednesday.. he's all good.. the ped told me to just keep counting his wet diapers and poop... if he seems alert and content, he's good.. ped told me my lo might be just getting cold.. just because my husband currently has got cold too.. but till today it's still the same, my lo is just not as interested in feeding as before.. he still sleep for 10-12 hours and show no interest for feeding.. I even feel like he's not feeding that much when he's awake.. its so frustating.. Im a first-time mom too

Welcome to the forum, Nadnat19! I think your doctor gave you good advice- as long as your baby is wetting/pooping enough, he's getting his needs met and you probably don't have to worry. It sounds like your major concern is that baby is now sleeping for very long stretches at night. Is that correct? If so, you probably don't need to worry. After about 6 weeks of age, it's okay to let a baby sleep through the night as long as he's gaining weight well and breastfeeding is going well. It probably won't last; most babies who sleep through the night eventually return to night waking and night nursing. If you want your baby to wake up and nurse, feel free to wake him and offer. And if he's sleeping swaddled or with a pacifier, now would be a good time to stop allowing those things, since they can make a baby a little too content at night.
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"