Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Making Enough Milk For an Overnight with Grandma

Default Making Enough Milk For an Overnight with Grandma

Hi. I am currently breastfeeding as well as pumping for my 5 week old son, Joshua. While I am confident that I make enough milk for him, I don't seem to make enough to create a surplus supply for when I'm ready to leave Josh with grandma for an overnight so mom can have a night out. It seems like when I pump I get very little (because I've just been nursing) and that there is not enough left for Josh when he's ready to nurse and I so end up giving him what I've pumped. Can someone who breastfeeds and pumps give me an idea of what their routine is like to get a stored milk supply going for when I'm ready to leave Josh with grandma overnight?

Default Re: Making Enough Milk For an Overnight with Grandma

Is there a time first thing in the morning you could pump maybe just one side? (and then nurse on the other side when your lo wakes). Output is generally best early in the morning, and you are more likely to have a surplus at that time...It's a pain to have to get yourself up any earlier than you have to, but it may be the only way if you're looking to build up a freezer stash in a hurry...

Also, a whole night away at this point may just not be a realistic option. But could you go for a partial night? Say, nurse the little one around 8:00, leave pumped milk for a 10:00 feeding (or whenever he is most likely to wake up), and then come home at midnight?

Thank you for the help! I will try that. An overnight this soon does seem a bit unrealistic so yes I'll probably just shoot for a few hours out.

Just one more thing to think about--if you manage to pump enough extra milk to cover an entire overnight away, you're still going to need to pump regularly during that overnight away from baby to maintain your supply/maintain your own comfort. Depending on what your overnight plans are, that may be kind of a drag! I personally have always found night nursing to be pretty easy (we bedshare, so I don't even wake all the way up), but middle of the night pumping? Ugh, I would not be too happy if I had to do that!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Good point, sonogirl... yeah, DH and I tried to have an overnighter for our anniversary after DS1 was born, and it was a real pain to have to pump so much (I had my MIL call me every time DS woke to have a bottle and I would pump at the same time).
    ~Sylvia~

Wife to Nick, m. May 2005

Mommy to Gabriel (b. January 2007, 8lbs. 15oz.), nursed 18 months.

Isaac (b. August 2009, 9lbs. 1oz- naturally), nursed 22 months, through PPD/PPA and emergency gallbladder surgery.

and Corban (b. March 2012, 11lbs. 6Oz.- naturally in the water), my NICU baby, still nursing strong at age 2!

Daughter of God