Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Finally made it to a year!! Now what?

Default Finally made it to a year!! Now what?

I thought this day would never come! I am still nursing and pumping as much as ever (well as frequently as ever-supply is another issue). Ellie is showing no signs of letting up any time soon.
    I have been off dairy for the past ten months due to a suspected allergy or intolerance and we are seeing an allergist on 3/25 so explore that a little more. I am holding on pump weaning until then to make sure Ellie is getting enough calories a day. I do look forward to the day where my pump goes in the back of my closet!! And I am really looking forward to cheese and ice cream being part of my life again
    Thanks for all the support ladies! I could not have made it through this year without all of your help!
    mommy to Ellie - 2/28/13 8lb 3oz 19.5in

Default Re: Finally made it to a year!! Now what?

Aww thats sweet nursing your baby for a year.

Congrats on making it to the one year mark! My DS is 15 months now, I pump weaned right after he turned one and I have to admit that while I am so glad to be done with it, there are moments when I miss the routine. Mostly because it gave me some quiet time to think about my son, and know that I was doing something important for him.

Congratulations, mama! That's a lot of hard work you put in over the last year. Kudos to you for continuing to pump into the second year. I see that as a really generous thing to do! But also very sensible, considering the suspected dairy intolerance. At this point, there's a good chance the intolerance has passed- maybe ask the allergist if you could have a big old glass of milk and then watch for a reaction? That's how a lot of moms test out the dairy issue- but maybe the allergist wants your child totally dairy-free for testing...
    Coolest thing my big girl said recently: "How can you tell the world is moving when you are standing on it?"
    Coolest thing my little girl sang recently: "I love dat one-two pupples!"

Thanks!
    Mommal- we tried yogurt at 10 months or so and she had a reaction so no new foods until we see the allergist. Holding off on nuts, honey, strawberries, chocolate, fish, eggs and dairy just in case.
    amypo28- I can understand that. I hate the pump but I love the quiet time it gives me!

Congrats, that's wonderful! I do think some amount of pumping will probably make your life easier while you figure out the allergy situation. How often is she nursing on the typical weekday? And how is she liking solids?

Thanks! We nurse in the morning, when I get home from work and at bed time. The AM and PM nursing are both really long and the one when I get home is more of a reconnecting thing so I am usually pumping then too. She likes to "help" me pump She is STTN so I have been pumping before I go to sleep to keep up supply since it has been down quite a bit.
    She was loving solids and would eat anything I gave her. A few weeks ago she started to get picky. She still loves eating, I just have to put some thought into what I give her now

She sounds like she's doing well. Rule of thumb is nursing 3-5 times/24 hours for a toddler, as I'm sure you know. Since you're on the lower end of that and baby is just a year makes sense to keep doing some pumping for now. That's a good sign that she likes her solids.

Congrats, mama!

I have been taking a very gradual approach to pump weaning, myself. I dropped my first session shortly after her 1st birthday, then waited about another month and a half to drop to two pumps. I just dropped to one pump at lunch a couple of weeks ago, and my daughter is 16 months old. I'll probably keep my lunch pump for the foreseeable future (my daughter does still like to have expressed milk once or twice a day in my absence)! In my case, slow pump weaning has really been primarily driven by supply concerns--even though my daughter nurses a ton when we're together, I'm a low storage capacity mama, so my supply drops really, really fast when I'm not removing milk. But I'd encourage you to also keep some daytime pumping if you feel like you're having supply concerns, especially since your daughter is nursing fairly infrequently, and you also have dairy concerns.

I will say, pumping is so much less stressful in the second year, when you don't feel as pressured to meet ALL of baby's nutritional needs, or stick to a strict schedule. I really don't mind pumping at all anymore!
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

Thanks @sonogirl. I'm pumping 4-5 times per day right now. Once in the AM after she nurses, twice during work, while she is nursing when I get home from work and before bed. It takes all of that to get the 9oz a day I need for her. I also pump on the weekends to try to stay ahead by a few bottles because I have NO frozen milk. She is taking 2 bottles a day at day care and I use bm to make her oatmeal in the morning. I am not too worried about the nutritional needs but she did drop from the 50% to the 25% between her 9month and 1 year dr visits. We go for a weight check next month so hopefully she will gain a little. The concern was because she has been between 40 and 50% since birth. If she was always 25 or bounced around the charts a lot the dr said he wouldnt care but the drop off seems to bother him. So I will be pumping at least until that and the dairy/allergy concerns are resolved.