Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: 1 more month...

Default 1 more month...

Well. Actually 28 more days until my twin girls turn one. I breastfed one girl for almost 6 months exclusively and the other one got pumped milk. Then after 6 months both got only pumped milk (and then solids etc). I'm super proud of myself but also a little worried because all of a sudden my supply is decreasing more than ever. I didn't have a 9 month or 10 month pump slump - could I be having one now? I have a freezer stash that we've been using to make the twins food with and I can certainly break into it to help make sure they've got enough milk for the day, but once we transition to cows milk I want to make sure I have enough to help them through that. Ideally, I really wanted to donate to a milk bank because one of my girls was a preemie and if I didn't have enough milk and my state did milk banks I would have loved the idea. But now, I'm wondering if I'll even make enough milk to pump 28 more days! Maybe amping up the mother's milk tea will help? I think the time change screwed up everything b/c I had to adjust my pumps on Saturday night/Sunday morning. Thoughts?

Default Re: 1 more month...

Have you done pump maintenance recently? Could your period be on the way?

Are you planning on continuing to pump past a year?

It's AWESOME that you've made it this far - so close!

Hi. You know - it could be my period actually. I've become really bad at tracking it so I should go and look.
    I am actually not planning on pumping past a year. My goal was always 6 months exclusively breast and one year breast milk and after that I need to pack away the pump. I keep joking I'm sending my breasts on vacation - I'm not going but they're going to Hawaii. Pumping is just exhausting and they're tired. Heck, I'm tired. I still get up at 2:30am to pump. I want to maintain my supply and I get a good pump at that session, so I'm just counting down the days. My babies sleep through the night - shouldn't I???

Thanks for the encouragement!

And the winner is...my period! Just arrived.

Oh, that's good actually, that means things should pick up again in a few days. For me the effect of my period is really inconsistent - sometimes it doesn't affect things at all, sometimes I see a really dramatic decline, especially if I am sick and exhausted at the same time. Because of the inconsistency the supply dip takes me by surprise and then I feel relieved to see my period and know it will be a temporary thing!