Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best bottles for breastfed baby

Default Best bottles for breastfed baby

Hi ladies. I'm sure there's probably some old posts around here on this issue, but I'm trying to get opinions on the best bottles for breastfed babies. DS had a bad case of nipple preference which peaked around 7 months (started back to work and daycare at 3 months), ending our nursing relationship and led to me pumping exclusively until he was a year old . I'm DESPERATE to avoid that this time (baby #2 due in March), and want to carefully select a bottle. I realize baby's personality may be the determining factor, but still! I also would LOVE a bottle that will attach directly to my Pump-in-Style to avoid pouring/double duty washing, etc. I didn't have much luck with the Medela bottles the first time, but could try them again. I see that Tommee Tippee has an adaptor to fit their bottles on the to PIS. So many options! Do others have an opinion? Can you tell I'm anxious?!?
    Blessed with DS - born 9/2/09 - nursed/pumped for 12 months
    Blessed with DD - born 3/27/12 my dreamfeeder

903 ounces donated.
    http://www.wakemed.org/landing.cfm?id=135

Default Re: Best bottles for breastfed baby

Have you seen the thread Susan (aprilsmagic) has going about alternative bottles? Check that out.

What kind of bottle did you use? I used playtex drop ins with Trixie and they have an adapter that you can get to pump directly into the bags. I didn't use that because I don't like to pump into bags. Also, I used a newborn nipple with her until last week when we pulled the bottle.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

I don't think there is a perfect bottle. Instead, I think it has to do with baby's personality, how the bottles are used as a substitute, and how and when they are ntroduced.

Personally, I have never had much luck with the Medela bottles, and if you look at them, they are really not a good sub for a breast. They tend to be easier for baby to suck from.

We have had good luck with Breatflow, in that half of our kids used it, one being our clefty post-op, which is kind of amazing. One was very stubborn about bottles and finally took this one weird bottle I saw once, snagged and never found ever again. The oldest was the least picky....and we fought nipple confusion with him for 8 long weeks.

Instead of focusing on the bottle, think about these things:
    When to introduce; fight with everything you have to never a feeding before 4-6 weeks with a bottle. If baby needs a supplement, use some other way to give it.
    When you do use a bottle, don't use it at home. Have someone else give it. I know several moms who ended up going to bottle only, and almost all got into a habit of giving a bottle at home. Instead, YOU are never to be associated with a bottle. If you are there, you nurse. Even if this means you throw milk away. I suspect this is part of why Gav won't nurse now, because he doesn't associate me with nursing. He only associates us with bottles.
    Don't warm it up. Make a bottle not as good as a breast. Instruct your caregivers in how you want bottles to be given.
    Use the lowest flow you can possibly find, and change your nipples regularly. If you turn it upside down and it drips, it's too fast or it is wearing out.

Then, consider your flow. Maybe your baby started preferring the bottle because your flow is slower. Try compressions or switch feeding.

Every baby is different. The odds are greatly in your favor.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Sealed for time and eternity, 7-7-93
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

Thanks! Great feedback from both posters. With DS I started out using the Playtex drop-ins with slow-flow nipples. However, I myself have a pretty fast flow, OALD and even a little oversupply. I'm sure sure what exactly happened, but it was a combination of the daycare center having difficulty with the slow-flow nipples (taking more than 30 minutes for a feeding), so we switched to medium flow since it seemed to match my flow better, anyways. Several months down the road when my supply settled down (especially in the evenings when I was less full and back home with him after work) it seemed we then had more of a mis-match at that point. Who knows but I think it was a variety of different factors . To this day, at 2 years of old, he has an impatient personality, especially when it comes to food . I didn't even introduce bottles with DS until about 10 weeks of age, to prepare for going back to work. He was a GREAT nurser until then.

I guess I can just do my best, and hope for the best! I saw the thread on the alternative bottles and will check that out again for updates.

903 ounces donated.

I meant to say "I'm NOT sure what exactly happened..."

903 ounces donated.

OK, what I bet happened..

At first, all was well. Baby was happy with your fast flow, but bottles were harder, as it should be. But changing to a faster flow and your natural decrease in flow happening set him up for this. If you had been able to stay at slow flow nipples, you would have probably been OK. He thought, why should I nurse...it's easier and faster from the bottle. So...you fought a losing battle.

This time, tell the daycare too bad, this is baby's bottle.
    Susan
    Mama to my all-natural boys: Ian, 9-4-04, 11.5 lbs; Colton, 11-7-06, 9 lbs, in the water; Logan, 12-8-08, 9 lbs; Gavin, 1-18-11, 9 lbs; and an angel 1-15-06
    18+ months and for Gavin, born with an incomplete cleft lip and incomplete posterior cleft palate
    Always babywearing, cosleeping and cloth diapering. Living with oppositional defiant disorder and ADHD. Ask me about cloth diapering and sewing your own diapers!

How much milk was in the bottles? I don't know how long it took M to feed Trixie. She never told me or complained about it. I agree with Susan too about not giving the baby bottles yourself. Lilah hated bottles, so that was easy. Trixie was ok with them, and her dad gave her some when she was tiny and I was out, but after she was 6 months old or so he just gave her solids when I was out.
    Tracie

Mommy to
    Lilah 10/08 nursed 25 months
    Beatrix 01/11 nursed 30 months

Agreed. I guess I didn't realize that over time I would stabilize with the flow (spraying, leaking, etc.). My supply stayed excessive (with exclusive pumping throughout the day but no overnight pumps when he was approaching 1 year of age I would pump 8oz, sometimes even 9oz, from EACH breast in the morning - yielding over 15 ounces from that morning pump session. I think the key will be to stick with the slow-flow nipples regardless, even if it means baby doesn't eat as much at daycare and eat more at night! Thanks for the feedback and reassurance. I don't regret all that pumping for one minute but it was SO HARD - and that was just with one kid! I can't imagine how you do it, aprilsmagic - exclusive pumping and keeping up with 4!

903 ounces donated.

It's really hard. Truly. The most difficult thing I've done in my entire life, and that is saying something. Nothing else gets done
    Susan

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*mommy2lilah View Post
    How much milk was in the bottles? I don't know how long it took M to feed Trixie. She never told me or complained about it. I agree with Susan too about not giving the baby bottles yourself. Lilah hated bottles, so that was easy. Trixie was ok with them, and her dad gave her some when she was tiny and I was out, but after she was 6 months old or so he just gave her solids when I was out.
    DS must have a crazy metabolism because even as he got older he would go through about 4 bottles (5 ounces each) at daycare - between the hours of 8:30am-4:30pm. So between that and what he drank from bottles at home (once I was totally EP) he would consume around 35 ounces per day (give or take) depending upon whether or not he had a nighttime feeding. And he was always in the lower-percentiles for weight - like 20's and 30's. I don't know since he was my first but my other pumping friends said that was a lot!

903 ounces donated.