Happy Mothers Breastfed Babies

Thread: Safe Skincare Products While Breastfeeding?

Default Safe Skincare Products While Breastfeeding?

Hi All,

I am wondering what skincare products your doctors may have said are safe to use while nursing. I have mild acne and looking for a topical treatment that is safe to use while breastfeeding. My doctors had told me not to use Salicylic Acid and Benzyol Peroxide during pregnancy but I'm not sure if they are now safe to use. I had been using Witch Hazel on a q-tip and spot treating but then read online that it could be bad. Would appreciate any guidance! Thanks so much.

Default Re: Safe Skincare Products While Breastfeeding?

InfantRisk can give you advice about what is safe to use: www.infantrisk.com.

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*bfwmomof3 View Post
    InfantRisk can give you advice about what is safe to use: www.infantrisk.com.
    If you're in the US, you can call (806) 352-2519.

In Medication and Mothers' Milk, Dr. Hale advises against using salicylic acid:

Systemic absorption depends on the concentration of the product used, the amount applied, the surface area treated, and duration of use. Absorption increases with the duration of use. The systemic absorption relative to the dose has been found to range from 9.3 to 25.1%. Due to systemic absorption, topical salicylic acid should probably not be used while breastfeeding. It is known that salicylates are excreted in mothers' milk, and have been attributed to cause certain conditions such as Reye's syndrome in children. Avoid its use in lactating mother if the infant has a viral illness.
    It doesn't sound like benzoyl peroxide has the same issues though. Dr. Hale says

Because only about 5% of topically applied benzoyl peroxide is absorbed (but rapidly destroyed in tissues), it is thought to be of low risk to a nursing infant.
    What have you heard about witch hazel? Medications and Mothers' Milk doesn't have an entry for it. But the Mayo Clinic suggests it as a comfort measure for perineal tears after childbirth, so I would think it's probably okay.
    Karen
    Forums Admin

Find an LLL Leader or Meeting | Get one-on-one help from a Leader online | Become a Member of LLLI

Feel like you need professional help? ¿Es usted necesita ayuda profesional? --> Find an International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC) <--

Quote Originally Posted by @llli*adrose View Post
    Hi All,

I am wondering what skincare products your doctors may have said are safe to use while nursing. I have mild acne and looking for a topical treatment that is safe to use while breastfeeding. My doctors had told me not to use Salicylic Acid and Benzyol Peroxide during pregnancy but I'm not sure if they are now safe to use. I had been using Witch Hazel on a q-tip and spot treating but then read online that it could be bad. Would appreciate any guidance! Thanks so much.
    maybe a tea tree oil acne stick? also i had mild acne my whole adult life until i eliminated all inflammation foods 3 years ago. i haven't had more than an occasional pimple ever since.
    1st time mom over 40 to Alex(andra) b: 7/14/12

I think I would check with infantrisk just to be sure.

Hi all, thanks for your responses. I just spoke to the infant risk center, and they said that salicylic acid under 6% is fine to use as a wash. Benzyol Peroxide (L2) is fine to use as a wash. Witch Hazel is fine to use as well (L3) but not systematically absorbed. I'm thinking of just using the Belli products as they dont have any of this stuff in it -- has anyone tried this line? I'm also thinking of using apple cider vinegar as a toner... let me know what you all think! Thanks for your help!

I have not personally used the Belli products, but I have used 1-2% salicylic acid acne washes and tea tree oil as needed since my daughter was born. She's 16 months old now, and we've had zero issues with nursing through this! I personally cannot use benzoyl peroxide due to its severe drying effects on my skin (oh, the joys of being acne prone AND having dry skin!), and witch hazel alone never actually has any effect on my breakouts.
    Apologies for the short responses! I'm usually responding one-handed on my smartphone!

I just switched to using Shea Moisture Black African Soap and love it. It does have salicylic acid in it but I'm fairly sure it's a low dose. It doesn't have any nasty chemicals like sulphates or parabens, smells amazing, and is the only cleanser to have ever made a dent in my acne. Let me know how the acv works for you. Coconut oil is a great lightweight moisturizer if you're interested in that and is naturally a sunscreen.